Author Topic: Oil filter question  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Oil filter question
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:06 PM »
I get my K&N oil filters from Murph and for years i see this small rubber O-ring in the box but i don't know where it go's so i never used it and never had a problem but im still curious, where does it go?

also murph has this Oil Filter Throw Away Washer that i have never seen on my bike, do i need it? seems that i really don't since i been riding without it for years but if these o-rings and washers help with anything please correct me.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Summit670

Re: Oil filter question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 07:40:49 PM »
The filters sometimes include a small o-ring that goes on the base of the oil filter banjo bolt where it goes thru the cover.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »
The washer you mention may be the somewhat large and thin one that helps prevent the spring from being pushed into the filter if it gets clogged (I think the spring works with the bypass).  It is listed as"WASHER,20.5X30X1.0  92022-1012".  It can get pushed thru the filter's grommet (seal).  Its pictured just above the spring.  The o-ring in question rolls onto the filter bolt/banjo and seals the filter plate.  I usually get quite a few uses before replacing it.  On a Honda (GL500) of mine that used the same configuration, the spring would be always pushed halfway into the filter every oil change until I realized it was missing the washer.  It seems to not do this on the Concours.

The filters we buy, although specific for our bike, fit many other bikes too.  The washer in question might be for a different purpose on those and not required on ours.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
well even though i haven't used either of these it sure seems like i should be to prevent problems so i will put them in my order for the next oil change.

Thanks guys

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:15 PM »
well even though i haven't used either of these it sure seems like i should be to prevent problems so i will put them in my order for the next oil change.

Thanks guys

Go to your local ACE hardware store and look in the electrical conduit isle and find a 1/2" x 3/4" adapting washer and buy a couple of them for .19 each.....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010