Author Topic: OBD2 bluetooth scanners  (Read 853 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
OBD2 bluetooth scanners
« on: December 03, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »
Looking for low cost recommendations. There are hundreds on the webs and I'm lost as to which to purchase. Check engine light came on in the truck. I'm damn sick and tired of taking it to the shop and having them charge boat payment prices to turn the light off and tell me it's fixed. I figure that between a reasonably priced scanner and Utube University I can do the same thing and I'll only charge myself half the money the shop does. Any help is appreciated.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: OBD2 bluetooth scanners
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »
Any reason you want a bluetooth version? You can get cheap obd2 readers anywhere. Most will work fine.

I have used the cheapo blue colored little ELM327 no brand bluetooth obd2 reader you buy on ebay for 10 bucks successfully for a number of years. I think most will be fine. I however prefer the wired ones. Feels like an actual scanner.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:48:34 AM »
The Check Engine Light normally comes on for a reason.

Just about any of them will do. If you want to be able to read codes other than the ECU, make sure it list compatibility with your trucks manufacturer.
My car is a Lexus and I had to be a bit more selective to find one that could also read the transmission ecu codes.
If you buy a Bluetooth one, beware that some of them ONLY read codes, and cannot be used to reset the codes.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 04:57:08 AM »
Any reason you want a bluetooth version?
Other than already having a phone as the handheld part, really no reason.

Appreciate the feedback, gentlemen.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 05:36:06 AM »
I think I have this one:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Foxwell-NT630-Elite-OBD2-Scanner-ABS-Airbag-SRS-Reset-SAS-Calibration-Check-Engine-Light-Code-Reader-Crash-Data-Turn-Warning-OBDII-Automotive-Diagnos/880859084?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222294354406&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74904344938458&wl4=pla-4578503890877946&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&%20wl10=Walmart&wl12=880859084_10001023672&wl14=fox%20obd2%20scanner&veh=sem

I'd have to look when I get home, but I think it's the one I have.

It's not bluetooth and might cost more than you want to spend.

I bought it because it will reset the "neutral memorization" in my Acura.  I have 3, 03 TL-Type S, 04 TSX and 06 MDX.
If a speed sensor stops working it takes out your ABS and VSA systems and you can't get all the lights to go out without doing neutral memorization procedure.

I do all the work on my cars so I though it would be a worthwhile investment.  Used it just last week to T/S a coolant sensor on the MDX that died and lit up every damm light on the dash.  $44 part, 1/2 hour to change it out, 10 minutes to reset, erase all the codes and do neutral memorization and it's good to go.  I don't even want to know what a dealer would have cost me! 
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 08:27:44 AM »
I have this guy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JFRFJG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it because I can use it on my truck and on my BMW motorcycle. Comes with its own free app for cars, and have another (paid) app for the BMW.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 10:31:38 AM »
I use Blue Driver.  It has an app on the phone and a plug device that works with the ODBII interface on your vehicle.

https://www.bluedriver.com/products/bluedriver-scan-tool

I found it was well worth the money...than buying other wired tools.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
I have the Torque app. Buy the plug-in device, download the appropriate software for your phone type ($25 when I did it several years ago), and go play. Check codes, clear codes, watch the data stream, choose a few gauge options and make yourself a live dashboard. I haven't run across a car/truck that I couldn't check, automatic software updates too.
IBA #18591

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 03:49:46 PM »
Happy ending....

Innova 3020 scanner from AutoZone (least expensive I could find in town)..... $45
o2 sensor and socket from Rock Auto (cause I wasn't going back to town)...... $52
New floor jack from Harbor Freight (blew the old one/no repair)               ...... $70
                                                                                                    Total...... $167

Estimate from the shop                                                                                 $325      :banana :banana :banana

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.    :chugbeer: