Author Topic: indicator lights access and anyone got a seat?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline cheapaschips

indicator lights access and anyone got a seat?
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum but i've read a lot of the threads. I picked up a 2000 concours from a salvage auction for 500 just the other day. I've had it safety checked to make sure chassis and forks are all straight, thanks to some ENORMOUS engine guards put in by the previous owner, all the problems are just cosmetic. The bike starts and runs beautifully, all i'm missing is the rear right pannier and the seat (due to the idiot who loaded it on to my truck taking the seat off and not putting it back on right (ok, i probaby should have checked)), so theres a lovely concours seat somewhere on the highway around north seattle...

ANYWAY, the only real damage is the pannier is cracked from the pannier box to the indicator (3 inch rip, nothing bad) and the right front indicator comes on, but does not flash. Does anybody know how to access the indicator easily, i've removed the right inner fairing but still cant get to it. Also, does anybody have a spare seat i can buy for cheap? they're like 200 a piece online...

cheers

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: indicator lights access and anyone got a seat?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:56:14 AM »
It may be worth taking the trip again and looking for the seat. Even if it's torn up, you can probably get it recovered for less than the cost of replacing it if the seat pan survived exiting the truck. The panniers don't have indicators in stock form, are you refering to the reflector? Either way, there are several ways that have been used to repair the plastics on these bikes. Check the wiki/FAQ section, JB Weld is a favorite of mine, but there are other methods. As far as the front light, I don't recall having done it, but removing the right inner fairing seems like it would be all that's necessary. If you don't have a repair manual, it is well worth the cost.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »
Don't forget Ebay.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:31:27 AM »
Usually, if the front comes on and does not flash, the rear is burned out, or not making a connection. Usually, the flasher needs enough of a load to flash, a feature to let you know that you have a problem somewhere in the circuit.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
Usually, if the front comes on and does not flash, the rear is burned out, or not making a connection. Usually, the flasher needs enough of a load to flash, a feature to let you know that you have a problem somewhere in the circuit.

Good point, I was ASSuming he meant the marker worked but not the directional. Some clarifacition may be in order. Some systems falsh faster if 1 bulb is out while some come on solidly. Still, how do you access the front marker/turn signals if that is the problem? I have not needed to do it yet, but would right there with the OP and simply remove the inner fairing on that side. Is there more to it?
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 04:28:23 PM »
Good point, I was ASSuming he meant the marker worked but not the directional. Some clarifacition may be in order. Some systems falsh faster if 1 bulb is out while some come on solidly. Still, how do you access the front marker/turn signals if that is the problem? I have not needed to do it yet, but would right there with the OP and simply remove the inner fairing on that side. Is there more to it?
IIRC, remove the inner fairing and the socket is visible. My bike is 13 years old, has almost 173k miles on it, I've never replaced a front ts bulb. Knock on wood...
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:41:49 AM »
No matter what condition the seat is in, you really want to find it to salvage the mounting hardware on the bottom of the seat. They are made of unobtanium.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.