Author Topic: Another Cafe racer  (Read 2231 times)

Offline ddavid

Another Cafe racer
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:10 PM »
Been wanting an older bike to ride around town and kinda cafe racer style it. Found a 1980 Kawasaki 750 two cylinder. On the plus side it only has 14000 miles and cosmetically in good shape. Bad news is it has set  for two years and won't start. Ignition and or carb problems. Definately needs tank and carbs cleaned, oil changed and general going over.  Question is, would you buy a bike that didn't run? Price is currently 600.00 in auction.  Blue book value around 1050.00. Parts seem plentiful on ebay.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Another Cafe racer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:01:39 AM »
Without pix, hard to judge. The KZ750 was an okay bike, but literally nothing special. Had one for a summer when it was new. An okay but unexciting, unexceptional bike. It was sort of a parts-bin special that Kawie built as a low-buck way to get into riding.

Offline WillyP

• Suncook Carpentry
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »
I have bought many bikes, and some cars and other things too, without hearing them run. Mostly turns out ok, but then consider that when making an offer. Talk to the seller and get a feel for what he is saying. If the motor is seized or has a knock and he is lying to you and saying, 'oh, just needs a tuneup and fresh gas' you will know.

I sure as heck would not pay 600 for it. I don't think I would pay that much for that bike even if it ran mint.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
agreed, too much even at 600.

Offline ddavid

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I passed on it.