Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 673211 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3320 on: May 25, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »
Seeing as this thread kinda' died.....

Today is the 53rd anniversary of operation 'Upshot-Knothole Grable', the one and only test of an artillery launched 'atomic' (or fission) shell. And it was successful, depending on your definition of success, meaning that they did  indeed launch and detonate a fission weapon from a piece of towed artillery: specifically, a 280mm howitzer specifically built for this purpose and nicknamed 'Atomic Annie'. Part of that nickname comes from the artillery's original source, a 240mm rail gun designed, built and used by the Germans in WWII, two of which were used to devastating effect during the allied invasion of Anzio and given the nickname 'Anzio Annie' and 'the Anzio Express' but also called 'Robert' and 'Leopold' by their German users.

This was also a somewhat unusual fission device as it was a 'cannon' type weapon rather than an implosion weapon; only four cannon type fission weapons have ever been tested or used: Little Boy, dropped on Hiroshima, this specific artillery shell and two more W33 artillery shells although neither one was actually fired from a piece of artillery but rather detonated as a static, or 'in- place' test.

Of course this all took place during the time when it was still though nuclear arms could be used in an actual war that would be considered 'winnable'. Later on, nuclear devices got so big that the new philosophy M.A.D (mutuality assured destruction- meaning all combatants and likely everyone else would simply lose and there was no possibility of a winner). 

So here is to clever American engineers and scientists..... they actually made this thing work. I do not know if it had any particular use but it may have been a viable deterrent in a close- order battle between the eastern and western forces in Europe. ?? No matter, it was still quite the feat to get a fission weapon to withstand the fantastic forces of an actual artillery piece launch and then still detonate and function afterward.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3321 on: May 25, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
The Atomic Museum in Albuquerque has one complete with two 'prime movers'.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3322 on: August 09, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisiana-woman-meth-vagina-not-hers

And now for something completely different....  A woman was arrested, searched (you know, the 'intensive' kind of searching) and after the 'searcher' found $6,233 in case and roughly one gram of meth in her vagina..... and claimed that it was not hers. Perhaps she rents out her body cavitie(s) for short and / or long term storage? Maybe on a 'no- name' basis? Gives new meaning to the term 'security box'.

Reality is far, far more interesting than even the best fiction IME.

Brian (carefully keeping track of what is.... well, in some special places)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3323 on: August 10, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisiana-woman-meth-vagina-not-hers

And now for something completely different....  A woman was arrested, searched (you know, the 'intensive' kind of searching) and after the 'searcher' found $6,233 in case and roughly one gram of meth in her vagina..... and claimed that it was not hers. Perhaps she rents out her body cavitie(s) for short and / or long term storage? Maybe on a 'no- name' basis? Gives new meaning to the term 'security box'.

Reality is far, far more interesting than even the best fiction IME.

Brian (carefully keeping track of what is.... well, in some special places)

"Honestly Judge, I don't know how that meth got inside me. Maybe I accidently sat on it in the public bathroom?"      :pukeface:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3325 on: August 20, 2019, 07:28:50 AM »
Damn this place is dead!!!

I may have to take up slamming POTUS again in the Arena just to liven this place up...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3326 on: August 20, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »
Damn this place is dead!!!

I may have to take up slamming POTUS again in the Arena just to liven this place up...

Is it dead in there too?

OK, what new bold colors and graphics will we see on the 2020 Concours 14....if there is a Concours 14 or 15 or 16 in 2020. I wonder what the sales numbers are for it's "replacement" the Ninja H2 SX SE+ ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3327 on: September 20, 2019, 06:47:37 AM »
Went car shopping in the big city and came home with this lil thing.

[smg id=847]

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3328 on: September 20, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Buy a car for the Mrs ?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3329 on: September 20, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
Buy a car for the Mrs ?
Aw man.  That’s harsh,

but funny!   :rotflmao:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3330 on: September 21, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
My sister in law bought the fastback, they are fun as hell.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3331 on: September 21, 2019, 01:15:28 PM »
Went car shopping in the big city and came home with this lil thing.

[smg id=847]

Congrats!  Looks like fun.  What is it?  A Nissan or Mazda?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #3332 on: September 21, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »
Congrats!  Looks like fun.  What is it?  A Nissan or Mazda?
Maybe Fiat?
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3334 on: September 22, 2019, 07:53:31 AM »
Buy a car for the Mrs ?

Aw man.  That’s harsh,

but funny!   :rotflmao:

:rotflmao:

No doubt, that Gary is a funny man alright.

Tell you what G, the first time that I have the pleasure of rowing through the gears of that sweet six speed in my girly car, with the top down, while my wife and I are enjoying the views of a coastal highway somewhere, I'll put on some Beatles, or maybe The Traveling Wilburys (Tweeter and The Monkey Man of course), on the stereo, chuckle a bit, and think of just how funny you are...

:chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
« Reply #3336 on: September 22, 2019, 08:32:34 AM »

Tell you what G, the first time that I have the pleasure of rowing through the gears of that sweet six speed in my girly car, with the top down, while my wife and I are enjoying the views of a coastal highway somewhere, I'll put on some Beatles, or maybe The Traveling Wilburys (Tweeter and The Monkey Man of course), on the stereo, chuckle a bit, and think of just how funny you are...

I had an MBenz SKS for a time.  Tons of fun to drive with the top down.  Plus, Miatas don’t look so girly in racing livery going around the Thunderhill Raceway track in Willows, CA.  Fun car!

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #3337 on: September 22, 2019, 11:33:40 AM »

A rental bicycle that is in a peculiar place.  Spotted first on Sat. 9/8 along riverbank. 
One week later on 9/15, I took pictures Bike & 2, and a screen shot of my phone in map mode so the location is recorded.
One week later on 9/21, I took pictures 3 & 4.  That is an old railroad bridge support in the river.
I did notify the rental company to make them aware of it.  I bet it’s going to be there for a while.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3338 on: September 22, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »

You misunderstand me, Sir. I wish you and the Missus many happy and safe miles before your activity is deemed unhealthy and uncaring for the environment and becomes socially unacceptable and therefore illegal. The Left Coast may suit you til that occurs. (and I'm ok with the Wilburys)  :rotflmao:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3339 on: September 23, 2019, 09:35:45 AM »
You misunderstand me, Sir. I wish you and the Missus many happy and safe miles before your activity is deemed unhealthy and uncaring for the environment and becomes socially unacceptable and therefore illegal. The Left Coast may suit you til that occurs. (and I'm ok with the Wilburys)  :rotflmao:

Ok then, The Beatles it is.

Leave it to you to somehow politicize this...