Author Topic: ADJUSTING SUSPENSION WITH MUZZY LINKS. is there a soul who knows how?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline C14ger

I lower with Muzzy, weight 180.

Is there any suspension jed-I who could advise me on how to set up sag/pre-load given the effects of the lowering kit on the suspension?

Currently (from my previous stock set up):
front: preload: 13mm;        Rebound: 5clicks back from close clockwise
back: preload: 13 click turns from full counterclockwise close;          Rebound: 1 click back from full close clockwise

I know there's got to be a suspension wizard on this forum somewhere
Cool wears out really fast 'over-the-road'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: ADJUSTING SUSPENSION WITH MUZZY LINKS. is there a soul who knows how?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 08:37:35 AM »
Evidently not?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
 ;)Why don't you contact Muzzy, and ask them....they should be able to help you, ;) after all they conned you out of $$ to buy thier product which was never meant to be used on this bike.... ::)
 ???

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
I'll insert here what I've found....

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5143.msg59659#msg59659

That's all I can find...  My suggestion would be to find a suspension tuner that can work within the links mobility.  It doesn't seem that we've done that much here with that setup.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C14ger

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:18:34 AM »
Evidently not?

Fred Hammon would definitely be one who would be able to figure out lowered Connie setting for optimum effective suspension. But I don't think he into making comments regarding lowered bikes. I email him already and got no answer. I guess that was his answer.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 03:04:01 AM »
Although there are plenty of folks that have lowered the C14, the one thing that comes into effect on it, that would not be an issue on, say..a ZX14, is the shaft drive. Introducing angles into the U-Joints that possibly take them out of alignment, could cause premature wear and vibration. Like I said, plenty of folks have done it, and probably not had any issues, but that is most likely why a suspension expert hasn't commented, or returned Your queries.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline C14ger

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
Although there are plenty of folks that have lowered the C14, the one thing that comes into effect on it, that would not be an issue on, say..a ZX14, is the shaft drive. Introducing angles into the U-Joints that possibly take them out of alignment, could cause premature wear and vibration. Like I said, plenty of folks have done it, and probably not had any issues, but that is most likely why a suspension expert hasn't commented, or returned Your queries.

Jammiemac
Someone made the argument that the suspension should be allowed to travel one inch up and down just stock. Therefore a one inch lowering ought not to have any effect on the drive shaft. I am going to consul a top-not mech I know about the whole thing. I love the OEM handling but driving in the city all the time if a bit tough with such top heavy bike...I already dropped it once and had a couple of more near drops prior to lowering it.

Offline Coomers

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »
I have the muzzy’s installed and also weigh about 180 LBS. my settings are:

Front preload 5 lines          Front rebound 5 clicks back from closed

Rear preload – none           Rear rebound 1- ¾ turns from closed

The rear springs on this bike are heavy thus no preload. I can’t tell you if this is the best set-up or not but the bike handles way better than it did and the biggest change was releasing the preload in the rear.

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 05:50:55 AM »
Get some friends to help you set the sag:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0508_motorcycle_suspension_setup/

As is stated there is no "magic number" for everybody.  Start with these guidelines and go from there.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"