Author Topic: Shortening Center Stand  (Read 8924 times)

Offline MrFurious

Shortening Center Stand
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:41:53 AM »
Anyone have pic's of how they shortened their center stand after lowering their C14, and how much did you shorten it?  We installed my lowering links yesterday afternoon and I'm real happy with the new stance, but as a result I can't get it up on the center stand anymore without assistance.  Don't see myself ever going back to the standard dog bones, so reverting back to stock height in the future isn't a concern.

BTW, for those wondering lowering only the rear with the Muzzy links changes the lean angle on the side stand by 2 degrees.  Stock was 10 degrees, with the links it is 8 degrees.  Angles were measured using an angle finder gauge set on the gas cap with the bike on the side stand and forks turned fully to the left.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline bdhszy1

Re: Shortening Center Stand
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
 Can't help you as I have the same problem. I do remember seeing photos of a stand that was cut down and nuts welded on the bottom of the legs making the bolts that were threaded in ( with a locking nut) fully adjustable. Anyone have those pictures or measurements?

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
Can't help on shortening the stand and can't understand why you need to. I'm 170 lbs soaking wet and have zero difficulty getting it onto the c/s. Are you sure you're doing it right?

Someplace in the manual they explain it (poorly). But summarized it's foot on the c/s tang and a hand on the luggage rack and a quick tug and it very easily pivots up. If you don't use that method with the luggage rack, it can be a struggle.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:15:37 AM »
I just put my muzzy's link last night. And I am thinking for $35, why in world I did not do this sooner !

I have not tried heaving it up on center stand. But the reduced clearance will require more force. I read someone post here that if you just back the rear wheel into a 1" or 1/2" board, you should be able to put it on center stand.

EDIT: ninjawarrior sent me a message a while back where he said you can just cut 1/2" off at the very end of the center stand and just weld the feet back on there.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
I use 2 2x8 planks setup as a ramp. Drive the rear wheel onto the ramp and the bike goes onto the center stand almost by itself. Very little effort needed.
I did shorten the sidestand and was going to shorten the centerstand but the ramp works great.

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline JetJock

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:41:59 AM »
I use 2 2x8 planks setup as a ramp. Drive the rear wheel onto the ramp and the bike goes onto the center stand almost by itself. Very little effort needed.
I did shorten the sidestand and was going to shorten the centerstand but the ramp works great.

Bill

"Effort?" Planks? Good thing you guys ride something as "light" as the Concours, since you'd never be able to get a Wing up on the c/s.  :P

And yeah, I can heave a Wing onto its c/s, easily. It's also just technique not huge muscle movements.

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »
JetJock
We are talking about bikes that have been lowered. Mine has been lowered in the rear by 2" using the zx14 links
Once lowered the bike is impossable to get onto the centerstand, at least for me.
I don't use the CS unless I'm working on the bike

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Using a 2-by board is fine and dandy for when you're at home, but who wants to carry one around with them while on the road?  I actually experimented around a little today using some 1/2 and 3/4" plywood pieces stacked in various combinations for different heights.  Basically found out that 3/4" makes getting it on the stand about the same as before it was lowered, and 1" makes it almost effortless. 

For now I'll probably cut down a board to keep in the saddlebag for emergencies, but I'll be keeping my eye out for a cheap used center stand on Ebay to experiment with.  That way if shortening it doesn't work out as planned it's no big deal as I'll still have the original to put back on.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline JetJock

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »
JetJock
We are talking about bikes that have been lowered. Mine has been lowered in the rear by 2" using the zx14 links
Once lowered the bike is impossable to get onto the centerstand, at least for me.

Bill

I guess I'm dumber than usual today, but how does shortening the bike's suspension make the bike harder to get onto the c/s? Is it that the c/s in now too long to be properly extended?

Maybe I need more coffee. I don't get it.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:08:07 PM »
I guess I'm dumber than usual today, but how does shortening the bike's suspension make the bike harder to get onto the c/s? Is it that the c/s in now too long to be properly extended?

Maybe I need more coffee. I don't get it.

My logic says that there is not enough clearance now for the center stand to go down far enough to create as much leverage as before to lift the bike up. Same deal as trying to heave a stone with a 2" stick versus 2'.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
Using a 2-by board is fine and dandy for when you're at home, but who wants to carry one around with them while on the road?  I actually experimented around a little today using some 1/2 and 3/4" plywood pieces stacked in various combinations for different heights.  Basically found out that 3/4" makes getting it on the stand about the same as before it was lowered, and 1" makes it almost effortless. 

For now I'll probably cut down a board to keep in the saddlebag for emergencies, but I'll be keeping my eye out for a cheap used center stand on Ebay to experiment with.  That way if shortening it doesn't work out as planned it's no big deal as I'll still have the original to put back on.

The board method is for in-home service. You will have to look for a replacement center stand. I saw one in ebay that I wanted to buy. SWMBO shot me down.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »

Bill

Sorry for all these posts....but how did you shorten your side stand? I need to do that as I think I want to lower the front by a tad bit. Also, did you have to mess with the suspension settings at all? Wife says the bumps are a bit more pronounced. I have not changed any settings yet.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
Centerstand is mounted to the frame, and when you lower the suspension the frame sits closer to the ground.  As a result, when you first step on the center stand the angle of it is less so the bike/frame has to go up more to get it to cam up and over. 

For instance, lets assume the stock starting angle of the center stand is 45 degrees.  To get the bike up on the stand you need to apply force via leverage to get it up and over 90 degrees before it will cam-over and finally rest at 95-100 degrees.  So you have 45 degrees in the work "stroke" and the starting angle provides sufficient leverage to minimize the mount of force needed.  With the bike lowered the starting angle is now decreased to say 30 degrees because the frame is sitting closer to the ground.  This means you now have 60 degrees in the work stroke and the extra 15 degrees will require significantly more force due to your having a poor starting angle for leverage. 
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
Sorry for all these posts....but how did you shorten your side stand? I need to do that as I think I want to lower the front by a tad bit. Also, did you have to mess with the suspension settings at all? Wife says the bumps are a bit more pronounced. I have not changed any settings yet.

I haven't shortened mine and probably won't, but to answer your question...you basically have two options.

Option A:  Cut a section out of the side stand and then weld it back together. 
Option B:  Don't cut the stand and just grind down the "stop" pad on the side stand assembly so it can go further forward before hitting the stop.

Not really necessary if you only lowered the rear, but if you're also lowering the front it's pretty much mandatory.

I don't have but maybe 5 miles on mine since lowering it last night (d@mn rain!) so I can't recommend any suspension setting changes yet.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline trucker

• COG #8387
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
I bought a used one on ebay and shortened 1 inch which lifts rear tire about a quarter to half inch off ground.  I had to cut and reweld foot pedal and bend arm out to clear driveshaft but almost effortless with muzzy links installed.  Will try to post pics as soon as possible.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 06:52:54 AM »
BTW, for those wondering lowering only the rear with the Muzzy links changes the lean angle on the side stand by 2 degrees.  Stock was 10 degrees, with the links it is 8 degrees.  Angles were measured using an angle finder gauge set on the gas cap with the bike on the side stand and forks turned fully to the left.

I recommend lowering the front by the same amount to prevent changes to the handling.  It does, however, require using handlebar risers (which I wanted anyway) so the fork tubes can be raised.  The Muzzy links will drop the rear exactly 1".  Raise the front fork tubes 1 1/8" to drop the front by the same 1".

I swapped kickstands with the Soupy's to get the lean back to normal.  I have not shortened the center stand.  It is harder to use now, but it does work, and it is not something I use regularly, anway. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.msg1998#msg1998
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 06:55:57 AM »
We are talking about bikes that have been lowered. Mine has been lowered in the rear by 2" using the zx14 links.  Once lowered the bike is impossable to get onto the centerstand, at least for me.

Well, I imagine that dropping it 2" instead of 1", you really WILL have extreme difficulty using the center stand.  Lowering by that much is a bit scary :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 06:58:15 AM »
Using a 2-by board is fine and dandy for when you're at home, but who wants to carry one around with them while on the road?

Why would you ever want to put it on the center stand when not at home?  Flat rear tire maybe?  (That is about the only thing I can think of)  Even then, it isn't required.