Author Topic: Installing lowering links?  (Read 4271 times)

Offline JerBear

Installing lowering links?
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
How difficult is this job? Do you need any special tools?
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Installing lowering links?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

Message 3:  "We then installed the Muzzy links.  Placed it on center stand- it is tricky to remove the bolts since one will hit the exhaust.  You have to slide the sleeve to the other side and push the bolt out at an angle."

It is not super-easy, yet it does not require special tools, just open wrenches and I think I used a socket wrench also.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JerBear

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:32 AM »
I guess what I'm trying to find out is will I need to compress the rear spring or whatever to get the two bolts through the new links.  Do I need two people?  I've never seen an accurate description of the process and I want to try it because I need to lower the saddle height and that seems to be the least cost/easy to do alternative.  Has anyone ever written up a mod installation like this?  I want to use the Muzzy type Links. 
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »
I guess what I'm trying to find out is will I need to compress the rear spring or whatever to get the two bolts through the new links.

No

Do I need two people?

Not necessarily, but it was helpful.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline dammit

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
I just used a piece of 1x8 and a 2x4.
Put the 1x under the rear tire, and the 2x or something to hold up the 1x up so you can get a grip on the 1x to lift the rear tire up, and line up everthing.
The whole process took maybe 20 minutes..

Offline Cuda

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »
What did  it do to the handling?
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
What did  it do to the handling?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.0

It does very little to change the handling when you do it properly and lower the front the same amount.