Author Topic: Fairing stay, busted stem bracket  (Read 8679 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Fairing stay, busted stem bracket
« on: June 14, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »
It had to happen  :(

Rode out to Silt, CO today to play straight man while my buddy played IT monkey for one of his customers. Return trip I noticed my fairing was bouncing around more than normal. However "normal" with 170k on the odo is subjective.

Appears the spud on the steering stem that the main fairing stay attaches to is kaflooie in some way. Details (with pix) and a repair forthcoming.

Rick

PS: 1) I missed connecting up with Mal  :'(  2) "Larkburger" chain serves up some awesome burgers. 3) aisind.com is the "go-to" source for a 5' pipe wrench, or a box of corded MAX earplugs at a real decent price.
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Fairing stay, busted stem bracket
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
It might not be the miles as much as the "hot braking into the curves" one too many times syndrome? All the force its been withstanding holding that fairing back for so long........
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:53:10 AM »
It might not be the miles as much as the "hot braking into the curves" one too many times syndrome? ...

I doubt that  ::)

Bracket cracked and bent, see attached. I'll assume that it's a milder steel, as it bent a bunch, with inherent stresses from welding (the cracks). Welds are just tack welds, with the exception of attaching the unit to the stem. Not a real issue as it's lasted this long. On a lot of bikes I'll assume. I'll fire up the Turbo Weld-O-Matic (S-type) and put everything back in place.

Took 35 minutes to disassemble the bike... Side panels, main fairing, fairing stay, wires... Instrument cluster was removed still attached to the fairing stay.

Also took a pix for my cruiser buds: made in USA.

Rick

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
Only one word when you're TIG welding, CLEAN!

Difficult to get all the paint off, especially inside the part that remained on the stem. Wire brush was too big, wire brush on the Dremel is way too soft. Picks and files would have taken eons. So, heat the part(s) up with a strike from the torch, brush off what bubbled up. Repeat once.

But I think it turned out OK. Time, or following stevewfl into a corner ;) will tell.

Rick

Offline sig

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »

enim57

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »
When mine broke many years and km's ago I welded a length of flat bar to the steering stem from steering lock bracket down to just above the lower bearing housing. This enabled me to weld another brace on the fairing frame from just under the instruments down to the bottom of the new flat bar and thus triangulates it all. I do a lot of riding in summer without the bottom half of the fairing and it has never moved, solid as a rock. The lower half of the fairing no longer plays a part in supporting the top half.

Regards, Russell

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
Still hard to beat the nice lug that Steve Pronto made (makes?). 

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556319820QrfnGK
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

enim57

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
Yes that lug is a nice piece of work but it does not give any aditional strength to the support of the fairing. Whenever I have a problem I try to not just fix it but improve it also. My method was quite frugal too, material cost of $2 from local steel merchant.

Regards, Russell
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:27:50 PM by enim57 »

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
Yes that lug is a nice piece of work but it does give any aditional strength to the support of the fairing. Whenever I have a problem I t ry to not just fix it but improve it also. My method was quite frugal too, material cost of $2 from local steel merchant.

Regards, Russell

Sounds like good idea. Got pics?
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

enim57

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
I'll try but difficult to see with fairing on.

Regards, Russell

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 01:45:34 PM »
I've seen quite a few pictures of the broken stays on here.  That's the first time anyone has shown a split collar.  The others all seem to have the same chunk torn from the back side of the collar.

Below is what mine looked like after having the local welder fix it.  I used a Dremel tool to get it all down to "clean" metal and tapped it back into position.  He then tacked it everywhere and added a short piece of bar stock to the from side of it for additional support.  If yours is still apart you might want to consider that.  I sprayed black when done.

The clamp picture is not mine but rather a picture I saved along the way.  Looks like it would probably do the job of adding extra strength.  I don't think I would rely on it by itself though.  I made a roadside repair kit (and mounted it permanently) for my dad's bike from an exhaust clamp and big "S" hook.  It's on the forum here somewhere.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
Yes that lug is a nice piece of work but it does not give any aditional strength to the support of the fairing. Whenever I have a problem I try to not just fix it but improve it also. My method was quite frugal too, material cost of $2 from local steel merchant.

Regards, Russell

I'm confused, are you saying Steve Pronto's lug is not improving upon the old mount, or the one Rick put on? I think you can't do much better the Steve Pronto's, but it ain't cheap either. It worked very well on Ruby.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
Looks like ya got it fixed fine Rick.
I are impressed by your welding skills.
Mine always look like an angry Dirt Dobber attacked it.

Ride safe, Ted

enim57

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 03:23:58 AM »
Picture of my fairing bracket. You will see I changed the whole frame, but the extra stay I put on could be added to original frame. Another lug (or longer one as I did) would have to be welded to the steering stem.

Repairing the original mount or welding on another single lug in its place does not increase support for the fairing. The stay I added does give extra support and makes the whole assembly more rigid due to triangulation of fixings.

Regards, Russell

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:49:32 AM »
Russel nice fix.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:52 PM »
Does anyone know how to contact Steve Pronto?

Was headed up Cave Creek Rd. last night, hit a bump, and my stem bracket broke.

At least it didn't happen on the highway.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:22 AM »
Does anyone know how to contact Steve Pronto?

Was headed up Cave Creek Rd. last night, hit a bump, and my stem bracket broke.

At least it didn't happen on the highway.

prontorides at yahoo dot com
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

enim57

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:16:25 AM »
prontorides at yahoo dot com

Grassy-ass.   ;D
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
Are all the OEM stem mounts the same? Mine is solid metal, not like any of the pictures where it's just sheet metal. It's no bigger and looks totally stock. Has mine been upgraded by the PO?
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)