Author Topic: Conclusion to the Fork Bushing Tale  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Crashcup

Conclusion to the Fork Bushing Tale
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »
After getting advice from MOB and others here, I figured I'd update the results after finding some slop in the fork bushings on my '05.

Upper bushings didn't look so bad. Shown here next to the new bushings. The inside, which is the sliding surface, still had some teflon layer, but the outside was worn down. Don't know how that happens when they're driven into a bore in the slider.

The lowers looked a lot worse compares to the new ones. (first time I've replaced fork bushings, so I didn't know what is normal, other than comparing to new ones.)  I'm guessing this is where 90% of the slop was.

After replacing all four bushings, the slop is nearly eliminated. I could find ONE position on the right leg where I could find some side to side play with the new bushings in. I'm afraid this probably means the inside of the fork slider is also worn. So far, they seem fine in use, and I'll have to ponder the idea of getting a new fork slider. Or put it on my Christmas list to swap out next winter.

With as bad as the bushings seemed to be, I hadn't noticed much wrong. The only thing I can remember is a couple of times practicing quick stops, and a few times after coming to a hard stop I heard and felt a clunk in the front end.

Other than the bushings, the Race Tech emulators are awesome! But I suppose that's another post....

2005 Concours - "Vanessa"
1999 VFR800 - "Stella"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Conclusion to the Fork Bushing Tale
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:25 PM »
thanks for the look-see, i apreciate that.
i have to tell you there are probably a LOT of bikes out there, in worse shape likely, without people realizing it. not that it will cause an accident or anything, I think just most people (myself included) just don't examine or feel it.

Good job!

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 06:01:44 AM »
thanks for the look-see, i apreciate that.
i have to tell you there are probably a LOT of bikes out there, in worse shape likely, without people realizing it. not that it will cause an accident or anything, I think just most people (myself included) just don't examine or feel it.

Good job!
Question: Is the 'clunk' a good sign of bushing problems?  I have a clunk on my '02 when I go over rough surfaces.  I have checked the head stem, and fairing mounts.
Thanks in advance for any info.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
not really, I've felt it on bikes with 5k miles....many things clunk, like springs, bearings, loose fenders...it isn't a "tell all diagnosis"

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..