Author Topic: Removing area p slip on  (Read 4014 times)

Offline twozsforme

Removing area p slip on
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
Hello  everyone,

Recently I was attempting to remove my Area P carbon slipon and ran into a bit of trouble.  I got the can off and the mounting clamps just fine but the mid pipe was siezed on to the end of the header.  I sprayed PB Blaster on it as best I could and tapped on it while it soaked then I tried again to pull it off to no avail.  Does anybody else have any ideas??  I really don't want to remove the header and I dont want to bang the header up too bad.  I can't take a chance at damaging the cats because the bike is going to be sniffed for emissions when I get to Japan.  Any help would be great.

Offline kbryant

• areapnolimits
Re: Removing area p slip on
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:39:35 PM »
It's all 304 series stainless steel, so you should have no corrosion.  Did it get dinged or something perhaps?  The inlet has 3x slots that help compress it onto your collector when the clamp is tightened.  You should simply be able to "wiggle" it back and forth slightly to help open it up and slide it off.  You could also tap on the centerstand stop/bracket edge while pulling back.  Honestly have never heard of anyone having an issue removing it.   If it slid on, it should slide off  ;)

Bob

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:31:30 PM »
I guess that your not going to get a better response than from Kerry himself!  :thumbs:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:41:08 PM »
I guess that your not going to get a better response than from Kerry himself!  :thumbs:

:goodpost:

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
if it's all stainless steel then your problem might be galling...in which case it might be on as if welded...to learn a bit more about galling there are web articles available...here is one   http://www.estainlesssteel.com/gallingofstainless.html
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »
It's all 304 series stainless steel, so you should have no corrosion.  Did it get dinged or something perhaps?  The inlet has 3x slots that help compress it onto your collector when the clamp is tightened.  You should simply be able to "wiggle" it back and forth slightly to help open it up and slide it off.  You could also tap on the centerstand stop/bracket edge while pulling back.  Honestly have never heard of anyone having an issue removing it.   If it slid on, it should slide off  ;)

No its not dinged up or damaged in any way.  I remember when I installed the mid pipe initially it was pretty tight but now it is as if it is welded together.  When I removed the slip on from the mid pipe I noticed there was some black splotches on the mid pipe where the slip on overlapped.  Maybe a little corrosion from dissimilar metal??  I gave up and put the slip on back on for the time being.  Maybe this weekend I will try again.

Offline incabird

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
Just a thought but you may be able to heat the mid-pipe where it overlaps the header pipe with a propane torch enough to expand it a little and then try tapping it back or wiggling it free.
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
Just a thought but you may be able to heat the mid-pipe where it overlaps the header pipe with a propane torch enough to expand it a little and then try tapping it back or wiggling it free.
+1
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Fretka

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 01:59:46 PM »
Remove the clamp completely as it has a tab that fits into the inner pipe that you probably did not notice.

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline twozsforme

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
Remove the clamp completely as it has a tab that fits into the inner pipe that you probably did not notice.

Fretka

The clamps were completely removed and moved out of the way.  I think I am going to take the bike to the exhaust shop up the road from my house so they can heat it up and try to pull it off again.

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »
After some 25K+ miles on mine, I had to work it quite a bit to get it off, but it did eventually come undone.  If you're not able to move it at all, then I'm not sure what to suggest.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
Wow, I'm suprised.

Offline fc1reed

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »
I have the same slip on. I pulled mine off 2 weeks ago to have it ceramic coated with no problem. Even with the coating it slid on pretty easy. I would suggest the torch option also. Was there anything on it when you put it together?