Author Topic: GoPro HD or ContourGPS  (Read 2939 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
GoPro HD or ContourGPS
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
I need recommendation on what is better...  I be using for Motorcycle rides of course and also on the boat for recording my daughter waking boarding.  I know I would have to purchase the water housing for the Contour if I went that route.  But over all what one do you guys like and why...

Son of Pappy

Re: GoPro HD or ContourGPS
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »
Still waitintg on my ContourHD to get here, but my GoProHD was a b!tch to operate.  Sadly, it was destroyed in Mexico on an Adventure ride >:(

Offline stewart

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »
I have the ContourGPS and love it. Can't comment from personal experience on the GoPro, but I couldn't bring myself to planting that thing on my Ski Helmet, prefer the profile of the Contour.

I also took the Contour on my bike to a track day recently and it work flawlessly.

Search the site, I posted the URLs in another thread. From the Contour site you'll be able to find my Ski videos as well.

Next stop is my moutain bike.

As for water sports....I guess I would need the water proof case, but so far that's not high on the list.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
FYI the July '11 Motorcyclist Magazine did a "Action Cams" comparision between the 5 leading cams for this year. Page 82. 

Very interesting results, they did a great job testing and reporting the pro's and con's of each cam.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
Tried both. Preferred the Contour by far. Much easier to operate and more mounting options. The GoPro is a pain to use, never mind what the magazine test said.

Offline SimonSaysDie

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 07:29:37 AM »
For those of you with the ContourGPS, is the GPS info stored anytime it's recording, or can you turn the GPS function off if you wanted to?

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:35:27 AM »
A friend of mine has this one -----> http://www.oregonscientificstore.com/ATC9K-Oregon-Scientific-HD-All-Terrain-Waterproof-Video-Action-Camera.product

I think it is a better option than either that you mentioned. I will be getting one soon. The contour records too much wind noise for my liking and the GoPro does not have a screen (unless you buy one seperately).

Offline Arata

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
I have two friends who have lost their GoPro cameras because the mounts broke.

There is no place to tether them (that I am aware of)

The "fingers" that extend from the clear protective cover snapped off.

One friend contacted GoPro, and they eventually sent him a refurbished replacement.
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline stewart

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
For those of you with the ContourGPS, is the GPS info stored anytime it's recording, or can you turn the GPS function off if you wanted to?

The data is stored in the text track of the MOV format (subtitles i think). When you edit the video in application all but Final Cut Pro will loose it from what I understand.

I'm still looking for a solution, but haven't found one yet.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380