Author Topic: A very interesting use for a drone  (Read 25553 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: A very interesting use for a drone
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2015, 06:56:27 AM »
That'll fix your drone...lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLWEn4q900s
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:49 PM »
OFFTOPIC:

Well, my roof is broken. Sort of like a vacuum cleaner or perhaps even a car: "I tried to vacuum up all this dust but the vacuum cleaner is broken." Or, "I cannot come to work today because my car is broken." So that is sort of what is going on with my house- "I would like to live in my house but I cannot because the roof is broken."

;) ;D ;D with a little   :o ::) :'( :'( mixed in.

Last winter's snow structurally overloaded the roof so.... I need a new roof. But then the Ginsu part of the commercial kicks in and someone says "But wait....! The roof cannot be replaced as it is and meet code (old house). So we're gonna' need some new walls and floors too. So to cut to the chase, the second story of the house needs a new second story. Insurance company investigated and said it was a 'covered peril' and they would pay for the cost of repairs. Then they found out what repairs would cost and changed their mind. I rather agree with the first decision but that will have to be ironed out at a later time 'cause right now I need a new structure stuck on the house before snow flies. Other than a pi$$ pot full of time and money, not to mention the tremendous money and time it will take, this is a relatively easy task that can be done in three simple steps: 1) Remove second floor and place in dumpsters (estimate 4- 5, 30 yard size). 2) Design, model, certify new second floor and install. 3) Pick paint colors for new rooms upstairs! No problem! Almost exactly like a CC 50: 1) Go to one coast and get receipt. 2) Go to middle of country. 3) Go to other coast and get receipt. Three easy steps and all done.

It took the Jewish people a long time but they have the perfect expression for this one..... Oy vey!   ;D

But let's look at the bright side: I may be able to use a drone (or a group of drones, whatever that is called- a 'pod'? a 'herd'?) instead of a crane to lift the headers and trusses in place. How fun would that be, huh? Of course it will have to be a pretty big drone; probably need to be plugged in rather than powered by batteries.

Brian

Did Donald Trump visit Rhode Island yet? Maybe he'd take you for a helicopter ride?...lol. ;D

What the heck happened to your roof?

Rem
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 01:51:18 PM »
this is a relatively easy task that can be done in three simple steps: 1) Remove second floor and place in dumpsters (estimate 4- 5, 30 yard size). 2) Design, model, certify new second floor and install. 3) Pick paint colors for new rooms upstairs! No problem! Almost exactly like a CC 50: 1) Go to one coast and get receipt. 2) Go to middle of country. 3) Go to other coast and get receipt. Three easy steps and all done.

Don't forget to leave an opening in the new 2nd floor for the old staircase...lol.

Sorry to hear Brian...although you're obviously still in good spirits, it doesn't sound like much fun.

Hey, can't you chop up all that old house and burn it in the woodstove?...Just pick the nails out of the ashes later...no big deal...lol.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
BDF - It's my understanding that repairs that return a structure to its previous condition are acceptable / permissible, and that only changes (upgrades, expansion, etc) require new design / engineering.

Do you know why this doesn't seem to apply in your case?

Seems like you might need to file a lawsuit against the insurance company, to jog their memory of how things are supposed to be.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
No problem- the new height of the second floor will necessitate a new first- floor staircase so problem solved.

Oh, this has its humorous parts, it is merely black humor now. And really, this is what my oldest son would call 'A first- world problem' after all; we are not starving to death so hey- how bad can it really be? And as I think you know, it takes a lot to beat the humor out of me and this is not enough.... at least not so far (we have not actually started the process yet but have been blown off by multitudes of contractors, engineers and architects and Andrea is not taking any of this particularly well).

Most of the house is not wood, and siding, asphalt shingles, gypsum board, insulation, etc. do not burn or do not burn well. Well OK, asphalt shingles burn GREAT but they leave a lot of sand behind and the neighbors complain about the stench.... :rotflmao:  And if one throws the ashes on a crushed- stone driveway, the tires on the vehicles seem to pick out the nails sort of automatically.  ;) ;D

Brian

Don't forget to leave an opening in the new 2nd floor for the old staircase...lol.

Sorry to hear Brian...although you're obviously still in good spirits, it doesn't sound like much fun.

Hey, can't you chop up all that old house and burn it in the woodstove?...Just pick the nails out of the ashes later...no big deal...lol.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2015, 03:03:01 PM »
I wonder if your insurance co has considered their liability for when the snow fall ruins the contents of the structure and the first floor of the structure itself ... caused by their own delay in covering the present damage.

You may end up with an entirely new house! And that may be cheaper in the long run.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
Because these 'repairs' are structural rather than superficial or incidental to the structure, they must meet current building code(s). An example might be that one could put new shingles on a older roof that was in good condition but did not meet current standards because the shingles are incidental to the actual structure. But one could not remove a non- compliant roof (the structural components) and replace it with the identical, new but still non- compliment roof.

A very simple analogy is: One can replace a fuse in a fuse box that does not meet current code, wired in a manner that does not meet code. But one cannot replace the fuse box with the identical fuse box because the fuse box would be considered a main part of the electrical system of the building, while the fuse was incidental to the fuse box.

The problem with this particular building goes like this: the roof is 'toast' but a new roof cannot be placed on the short (46") sidewalls because there is nothing there to tie the walls together (like joists), which brings us down to the floor. But that too is a problem because this building uses balloon construction so there is no mechanical 'shelf' to build a floor on top of. <sigh> It does look like there is a purlin near, perhaps close enough to, the original second floor floor but we will not know if that is structurally able to support a new wall and roof until the second floor is gutted and we can look at the structural components. Now this kicks open the proverbial door that may require bracing (read: new walls) all the way down to the foundation, at which point I believe the house would be a write- off. But I believe (hope?) there are sufficient structural members (Easy Boys!) to use as a starting point to build a new floor, sheet it (sub floor) and then go with conventional, modern, or 'western' building techniques from there.

All of which leads us to the joke: 'How do the Soviets deal with a disaster? They cover it up with a catastrophe'. At one point, the Soviet economy was in a shambles and heading toward failure when suddenly, they had that mishap at Chernobyl and everyone forgot about trivial things like the economy.  This last winter, I had a nasty ice dam on the front of the house which caused significant damage to the fascia, roof edge and gutter. Then I saw the roof and promptly forgot all about that silly, inconsequential ice dam damage.  ;D   Gallows humor- it has to do when that is all there is left, like cheap Scotch.

The insurance issue is completely separate now and will take its own path; I have to get a structurally sound covering on this house before it snows here and 'the wheels of justice turn slowly'. There is always the possibility for an emergency judgement but it is not likely in this case (not life threatening).

Now, all the way back to the drone thing: I think it would be cool (hey, I am old and use the old words- I believe the kids today might say it was 'the shizzle'?) to have time- lapse video of the original structure coming down and the new structure going up. To get that, I would need a drone that could orientate itself in space and return to the same spot over and over again. I am looking into it (along with I- joists, glulams, I-beams, etc.) for this upcoming project. :-)

Brian

BDF - It's my understanding that repairs that return a structure to its previous condition are acceptable / permissible, and that only changes (upgrades, expansion, etc) require new design / engineering.

Do you know why this doesn't seem to apply in your case?

Seems like you might need to file a lawsuit against the insurance company, to jog their memory of how things are supposed to be.

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
Well the government started all this armed drone crap. Now everybody wants to be cool like Obama and take out the bad guys. You view it on a tv screen so who could get hurt anything anyway...just like a video game right.

My opinion is that it is just like gun control...guns don't kill people...it's the deranged P?:ck controlling it that needs an attitude adjustment. Drone benefits far outweigh the negative but that won't stop the folks that protect us from ourselves and tax us for it.

Soap box is open.
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
He should have received a medal and if I were on the jury I wouldn't vote to convict.  This drone sh*t is getting out of control and it needs to be reigned in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
This is exactly what I was talking about. The whole privacy issue is a far more immediate and complex issue then armed drones. It's already illegal to assault someone with a deadly weapon weather it be with a drone or not. But this problem needs to be worked out. Most close neighborhoods it is illegal to discharge a firearm. So I'm not surprised he is in legal trouble. But what if he used a paint ball gun? Or a high pressure hose like the FD video did and shot it down that way? What if the guy had a major league arm and hit it with a baseball? What if it is not over your property but the camera is still looking that way? All kinds of legal precedents to be worked out.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2015, 10:02:37 AM »
They should all burn in He*l.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
Agreed, the privacy issue is going to be a be a problem.

As far as flying over private property, that too will be an issue because one does not own the airspace above any property that one does own; just ask any airline (they can overfly private / public property at will without permission).

At first, this might seem to be a simple issue but I believe it will be quite difficult to write effective laws that do not step all over other laws already in place.

Brian

This is exactly what I was talking about. The whole privacy issue is a far more immediate and complex issue then armed drones. It's already illegal to assault someone with a deadly weapon weather it be with a drone or not. But this problem needs to be worked out. Most close neighborhoods it is illegal to discharge a firearm. So I'm not surprised he is in legal trouble. But what if he used a paint ball gun? Or a high pressure hose like the FD video did and shot it down that way? What if the guy had a major league arm and hit it with a baseball? What if it is not over your property but the camera is still looking that way? All kinds of legal precedents to be worked out.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
Too much money behind drones. They'll win their battles whether peeping Toms employ them or not.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
They just grabbed one in MD that was going to deliver drugs to a prison near Cumberland.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/24/2-arrested-in-plot-to-use-drone-to-sneak-contraband-into-maryland-prisons/

Someone on the news, associated with the prison, was talking about getting one of those radar gattling guns to shoot them out of the sky.  :thumbs: :cannon:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
They just grabbed one in MD that was going to deliver drugs to a prison near Cumberland.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/24/2-arrested-in-plot-to-use-drone-to-sneak-contraband-into-maryland-prisons/

Someone on the news, associated with the prison, was talking about getting one of those radar gattling guns to shoot them out of the sky.  :thumbs: :cannon:

The more of 'em shot down, means that much more demand
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
Twit.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2015, 06:02:17 PM »
And whole new social situations:

Student says to Teacher: "A drone stole my homework on the way to school!".    ;D

Brian

The more of 'em shot down, means that much more demand

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2015, 08:18:09 AM »
Or "A drone shot the dog that ate my homework"  ;D

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
I think jamming technology will soon be available (at the consumer level) to disrupt these boogers. FCC illegal no doubt, but difficult to detect and once the tech is out (Pinterest, Instructables, etc.) droning will loose it's appeal. Long before drones (the new multi-blade hovering helicopter type) there was always a possibility of a radio controlled model aircraft flying into the White House loaded with who knows what. The fact that it never happened always made me think that there was probably full time Federal jamming going on in select secure areas around the country. Some of those RC aircraft are humongous.

Now what happens when they start putting in GPS guidance in the flying boogers and they fly pre-planned routes with designated hover points with set on station times and they are in no need of ground based radio guidance....?

Then we'll need to start making 4 barreled potato guns that can shoot nets 200-300 feet in the air I guess.