Author Topic: Not bad gas mileage!  (Read 14956 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: Not bad gas mileage!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »
OK Thud, I'll try the 1/4 watt too tomorrow. I'll have 4 of the 1/8 watt and 3 of the 1/4 watt left over if anybody would like one just respond here and I'll reply and get your USPS address and get one off to you ASAP, and the best part, they are FREE! ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »
This is kinda old, seeing as it dates wayyyyyy back, but the 1/4w. Resistor thing is more dependant on the resistance value ( ohms) than the wattage...
It was found that a 220 ohm value seems to work close, but is still not adjustable... to truely make it adjustable you need a variable resistor, or pontiameter...
Radio shack has a 3/4watt 220 ohm unit for about $2, which does allow you tto trim the gauge correctly and to the point you want.
Its in the COG library, for those of you with current membership, and can be found here
http://cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=30728

Sorry, you had to be a member to read it, but it goes thru installing one...
It allows you to adjust the sensitivity of the gage sender unit to allign it when the level is right at reserve... and it has worked for 20 years or so...

I'll probably get slammed for posting this, but its worth reading...

Article By: Dave Cavanaugh

Fuel Gauge Adjustment
Go to Radio Shack and get a multi turn 1000 ohm .75 watt variable resistor (or "trimmer"). Part # 271-342  $2.49

http://www.radioshack.com/1k-ohm-15-turn-pc-mount-cermet-potentiometer-trimmer/2710342.html#.VT_sj7PD-Ag

Editor's note: a number of riders have been successful with a 220 ohm resistor instead of going through the trouble of fiddling with the variable model.]

Solder leads six or eight inches long, number 18 wire,  to the center and one of the outer pins.  Doesn't matter which as long as one is the center lead.   Attach the resistor and leads to something so the pins don't get damaged (see below).  Put some shrink tube on the solder joints so people won't think you're an amateur.

Remove the two bolts, raise the back end of the gas tank and fish out the plastic connector you disconnect when you remove the tank.  (Jam a block of wood or a wadded up towel under the tank to hold it up.  If you raise the tank too high, the black rubber knobs under the front of the tank  will probably fall off.)

Disconnect  the plastic connector, and temporarily jam the stripped ends of the two leads from the resistor into the two holes in the female side of the connector, and reconnect.  You want the resistor to be in PARALLEL with the sending unit.

I made my trial pigtail long enough so the resistor stuck out a couple of inches between the seat and the gas tank, and messed with the adjustment over two tanks of gas or so.)

Ride (or drain the tank) until you switch to reserve.  Use the small screwdriver you use to adjust your eyeglasses to adjust the resistor.  Adjust slowly; the gas gauge is heavily damped and doesn't move very fast.  When the needle is where  you want it, you're more or less done.  (I adjusted mine so the gauge is just touching the red square when it hits reserve).

Once it's adjusted you can solder the resistor wiring into the main wiring below the connector permanently. That way, when you remove the tank, the resistor won't come out.

You should attach the resistor and leads to a piece of circuit board or thin piece of wood to protect the pins (I used a tongue depressor because it was handy).  I used little wire ties.  Hot glue would work, too.
Dave

[Editor's note: put a dab of silicon on the adjuster screw. This should stop it from adjusting itself from the bike's vibrations.]

This was gleaned from

Article By: Dave Cavanaugh

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
I know there used to be a plug-in variety that stopped being made. I was planning on making one myself. Maybe I will revisit that making it with the POT.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
I know there used to be a plug-in variety that stopped being made. I was planning on making one myself. Maybe I will revisit that making it with the POT.

Yes, we had a fantastic lady making harness plug in mlds for our bike many years ago, this was one of them.. as with everything, these have passed...

Carry on, we aim to keep the database alive... and with all due respect, newcomers should stand back, do some research, and take a moment to see what was done wayyyyy back... and yess, there was a LOT of  info that got flushed back in the day when the crash occurred.. sadly, there are few thatbarenwilling to resurect it...

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »
Got my bike back from the shop Saturday as a few of you know. The tank was almost empty due to the fuel problems she was having before the repairs. When I got her home I lifted the tank and installed the resistor per that blog posted above. This morning (Monday) I filled it up. In theory, I should end up at half a tank by Friday instead of the in the red and half tank issue I was having at the beginning of this thread.

See you in a week
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
Got my bike back from the shop Saturday as a few of you know. The tank was almost empty due to the fuel problems she was having before the repairs. When I got her home I lifted the tank and installed the resistor per that blog posted above. This morning (Monday) I filled it up. In theory, I should end up at half a tank by Friday instead of the in the red and half tank issue I was having at the beginning of this thread.

See you in a week

I'm guessing that, now that the carbs have been properly cleaned (we hope) that you should see a bump in gas mileage, even with the constant stop & go traffic y'all deal with in the LA area.  Keep us posted!
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline prock

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
I guess I just don't worry about it too much!  When I first got my bike (2006 with ~11,000 miles) I noticed a disconnect between the fuel gauge, the stated tank capacity, and how much fuel I could put in when I was in the red zone of the fuel gauge.  A quick perusal of the forum revealed how common a problem this is - but is it really a problem?  I go until the bikes starts coughing and then move the fuel tap to the reserve position and can reliably go another 30 miles.  I will say that after my friend did the 'igniter ground modification', the gauge seems to be a little more accurate.  I don't know if this is just coincidence or not.  At illegally fast highway speeds I usually go 220-240 miles before hitting reserve - equating to mpg in the low 40's.  Keeping the speed in the legal range I've gotten 48+ mpg.
Old Geezer.
Current Bikes: 2006 Concours, 2011 KLR 650
Previous Bikes: 1960's Vespa 125, 1975 KZ400, 1977 KZ750(H2), 1973 Honda CL360, 1988 XT350, 1984 Magna V30

Offline Leo

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
Every C10 I had for any length of time had a guage that showed empty with 1/2 tank.  I never got around to "fixing" any of them, just used the odometer for estimates and looked for a gas station about every 200 miles when I traveled (I usually needed a bio break at that time anyway).  For local use, I would by gas when I hit reserve. 

A 1/4 watt resistor is plenty to handle the power needed by the gauge.  Probably a 1/16th watt would work, but you also have mechanical stress from vibration, and the carbon resistors can be brittle. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »
Ok Update time:

So far since I added the resistor 220ohms 1/4 watt?
The gauge still hit dead empty at 130mi. I am at about 155 now and still haven't switched to RES yet. Combo street/freeway driving.
I am going to probably try adding a second one and see if that does the trick. If not then I will see about obtaining the variable resistor and seeing if I can fix it that way.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:45:21 AM by Engraverwilliam »
William Evans

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 09:57:07 PM »
  Strange? I used the 220 ohm resistor across the tank plug wire and I can get to 250 miles before the gauge gets into the red and then I'm real close to reserve.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 08:28:20 PM »
166 miles to reserve. 5.1 gals. 31 mpg not to bad. Could be better. I am going to check the resistor that I have in there and make sure the connection is good, Then add a second for grins. Before I try the variable one. It that don't work, I will give up and just use the ODO whatever right? She runs very well atm I have no complaints. I am running 91. I hear a 50 50 or so argument about what I should be putting in my bike for the best performance and mileage. If I had to choose I would choose performance. What side of the coin do you guys fall on on the matter?
William Evans

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »
91 in an engine designed to run on 87 is a waste of money in my opinion plus the owner's manual calls for the 87 so I see no reason to run something else....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
I have regular unleaded available here. Typically I get 40 to 43 miles per gallon. I will fill up this next week and find out what my mileage was for today's ride. I have 240+ miles on this tank full and still did not switch it to reserve.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 01:07:19 AM »
 Could the higher octane cause a lower mpg if she wants 87 instead? Just did valves and carbs anything else? Less stop and go and lower rpms I assume for starters...
William Evans

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »
no.

what's going on with your bike? you should be getting 39-40mpg in town and perhaps 42-45 on the highway.

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 02:23:52 PM »
i will report at the second tank. then fill it with the 87 and report with that. I have 19.5 mile round trip for work easy flying in the morning and stop and go spliting in the afternoon....
William Evans

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
with that you should be getting no less than 40mpg. more like 41-42.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
Hey Engraverwilliam!

If you can arrange for a weekend ride away from the city congestion (i.e. a ride at highway speeds), that might be a good way to get some good feedback on your mileage.  The numbers still sound low to me, but if you are spending a lot of time at 5 MPH, I suppose those could be possible.

The main thing is that she's running well for now.  That in of itself is a major accomplishment, considering your recent history with the bike.

On an unrelated note (based on a comment you made somewhere recently) I'd offer to come by sometime to show you how easy valve adjustments are, but I'm a couple of states away.  The first time was a bit intimidating, but yeah it's not that bad, once you figure out how to get the valve cover off...

Might be a great excuse for you to hit one of the national yearly Concours rallies, or one of the local get togethers as a vacation, although I don't know how your Significant Other would react to a vacation with a bunch of Concours fanatics...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
Yeah Im just nitpicking and messing around at this point. Love the ride.
William Evans

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2015, 08:17:17 PM »
get in there and clean the air filter..
my '86 with a clean filter, fresh correct valve adjust, carb synch, and idle adjusted at 1100 rpm netted me almkst 50 mpg for about 6 months, and when it started droppin, claning my k&n, and oiling it properly brought it back to 48+ mpg..

but then that was a silverdammit bike.. with 100k miles on it... (138,000 when I sold it) .