Author Topic: Valve adjustment help  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Valve adjustment help
« on: May 22, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »
So its that time again and i need help identifying part numbers, last time i did this job i had a problem but can't remember exactly but i think the nut would not come loose so i had to take the adjuster screw out with the nut on it and take it to a local shop to help me get it loose without damaging it.

This time i want to buy a few extra adjuster screws and nuts in case i have this problem again but I'm not sure if the parts in the fiche at ron ayers are the correct parts as i don't really know what they are called, if anyone can help me identify the correct part number with link that would be great. 1986 concours

Thanks

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Valve adjustment help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 05:16:48 PM »
92009-1279 SCREW, 7MM
92015-1325 NUT, 7MM
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 07:38:43 PM »
Thank You very much T-Crow, found it and ordered 3 of each as backup.  8)  Do i need to change the well seal gaskets around the spark plugs? i have done this on ever valve check but is it really necessary, and how bout the valve cover gasket? i put on a new valve cover gasket too but have re-used it three times.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »
  I have found that if I don't replace the plug well gaskets I some times get oil in the plug wells. So I use new ones when I replace the valve cover. As far as the valve cover I haven't replaced it in yrs. Never seems to leak so I'll just reuse it 'til it does.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
okay thanks for that info.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 04:38:44 PM »
I replaced my cam cover gasket at about 180k miles, roughly twelve years. It was starting to get brittle. Well gaskets and spark plugs get renewed whenever I'm in there.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »
I went ahead and ordered them both, i too change my plugs at valve checks but this time don't think i need to since i just put in new ones 4k ago.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »
I forgot what kind of RTV i used the last time, all i remember is its black, how high temperature do i need?

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
Any one know what temp of RTV to use on the valve cover, I used black rtv last time and from my search i think it was max temp 500, i guess thats enough because it's been three years and no leaks.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
Virtually any automotive RTV silicon will be fine. Red, blue, grey, black, all work well on a clean, oil free surface.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline RLTherio

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:24:24 AM »
I recently did my valves and replaced the gaskets on my '87 ZL1000 with new ones.  I read using "Form-A-Gasket's" "Ultra-Black" RTV.  It states that it's used for engine oil gaskets like valve covers and such.  I put a thin film on the surfaces.  So far no leaks, but I do have to check the plug wells soon.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 03:39:57 PM »
I Adjusted the valves last week, had 2 intake valves that was closed up completely and a 3rd intake almost closed, had a few exhaust that was loose, i set them all to  007 - 009 but my #4 carb is still coughing into the airbox, not as bad but it still does it just off ideal so I'm guessing i didn't get the carb ideal circuit clean when i rebuilt the carbs, it does start much easier now when cold and still runs very good.

I replaced the well seals but reused the valve cover gasket because it was still in great shape, i used black RTV with a high temp of 500f.
I thought the exhaust valves was the ones to tighten up but it seems my bike is reverse.