Author Topic: speed limiter question  (Read 5736 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: speed limiter question
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 12:22:57 PM »
OFFTOPIC: yeah, it is like gun control (and not the good kind where one has a sharp eye and a steady hand). But I choose to avoid that subject. There are actually many things that fit in this general category, transportation comes immediately to mind. We slaughter more than 40K people per year in the US but aspect of all the attention and most of the time spent on travel safety? Air travel, one of, if not THE safest ways to travel known. But again it is the perception: an airliner crash and several hundred dead is a tragedy that commands a huge amount of time and attention but because cars kill people by the ones and twos, it is not a big deal. But add up all the deaths in the world from airline accidents and compare that to all the auto deaths and I think most people would be amazed at where the real problem is.

It has been said that the odds of a bucked downing are higher than dying in a mass shooting in the US but I do not have the data to back that up. Of course, I cannot find publised data as to the deaths per 100,000 of the population that mass shootings have caused because that is not information that would support those who are trying so desperately to make this out to be some kind of national epidemic. It IS bad and understandable of course, it just is not statistically significant.

How does it go? There are lies, damn lies and statistics. Just like the old saying: 'Let's not clutter up this issue with a lot of pertinent facts'.

Brian

Sounds exactly like the vast majority of "gun control".  I believe that most people operate only on emotion, not logic or fact.  (And these "woke", "emotional" and "empathetic" people are also really good at spending other people's money and taking away other people's rights, choices, and freedoms).

Of course, there is a weak relation between a motorcycle's top speed and/or power and the likelihood of a fatal accident on those.  But that is more likely because of who is attracted to that model.  Such a person is likely to be irresponsible and dangerous at 150 or 125 or 100, or 60 MPH.   Power and speed are only a small, small fraction of overall risk.... If I had a dollar for every slow HD rider I see who is dressed completely inappropriately, changing lanes without using signals, barely visible brake lights, weaving, severely distracted, tailgating, and doing all kinds of stupid stuff, I would have a lot of money.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »
I'm positive that Kawasaki is fully aware that the speedo doesn't show the actual speed. Further, I'm sure that if they wanted to limit the speed to 154 (and they have) as indicated by GPS then they would have no problems doing so regardless of what the speedo reads.

My understanding is that the speedo reads ~5% high. Add 5% to your 155 and you have ~163, exactly what you observed according to your first post.
This is makes the most sense to me. Not sure when I can give it a go again. First 5k miles on it since purchasing it behind me, time for an oil change. Barely have any time on it bag-less though. I’ll be on some deserted slab or a ribbon of asphalt between bean fields sooner or later. Phone sits on the bars now so no excuse to neglect to open my gps speedo app.
Busy as can be right now between work and home projects so not much playtime🛠 thank you for all the replies!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 04:57:33 AM »
Ixnay on the gun control discussion.  There's other boards for that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 05:35:05 PM »
Ok at 70 gps, speedo reads 75. Couple tanker trucks forced me to abort mission. Creeping up on the
4-5 shift when the experiment ended.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »
Never had the ballz to try taking pictures on high end runs, but when my '08 was like a month old, and well broken in, fully loaded side bags, and trunk, my Garmin was indicating 158 while  my speedometer was buzzzing around 164..  a couple times... before I ran out of "safe road" (i.e. no LEO hidy spots) in Va.
Since then, I have seen 170 indicated, and GPS read around 163.... a couple times. I'm gonna have to "dump" my saved top end readings from my Garmin, and re-try the thing again, now tthat I have my Mountain Runner Premium flash...

The speeds I noted were in 5th, at shift point to 6th, and when upshifted I did have a bit of 'upper room" to attempt to see "top end... "

(all were just below the 9k rpm threshold, in 5th.)

I love my "old" 1400... the first year models were the ones that would surprise people.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline khager01

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
Just my opinion but I am not sure the C14 even has a speed limiter or ever did.  No way that even an older model is going to do a true 186 mph in stock form.  This was the discussion in another forum on Facebook.  The only persons that would know for sure would be Steve or Ivan or anybody else that has seen the inner workings of the software in the ECU.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
Just my opinion but I am not sure the C14 even has a speed limiter or ever did.  No way that even an older model is going to do a true 186 mph in stock form.  This was the discussion in another forum on Facebook.  The only persons that would know for sure would be Steve or Ivan or anybody else that has seen the inner workings of the software in the ECU.

do yourself a favor... back away from those 2 facebook pages.
Nothing good will come from them, whatsover.
I don't know Ivan... I do Know Steve... and I do have contact with the owner of the bike, that has been "under scrutiny" by the "minions".  Lets just say, if you ain't stupid, you can easily read between the lines of reality.  I don't think you are stupid,  :thumbs: :thumbs: :hail: :chugbeer:

I was present at the "intro talk" at the '07 national rally, where "every tidbit" was discussed,(where they also said they wouldn't do linked brakes... or traction control.. because it would "detract" from the owner experience...heheheheh) I only had my bike for a couple weeks prior, and was one of 2 people that actually owned first editions, and were present.
The bike, as produced, never had a "speed limiter" tied to the speed sensor, only a "rev limiter", as a protective device. later in time, I can't say for certain, but I believe they "went in" and messed with stuff, but in reality i don't believe it was tied directly to "speed sensed".. I'll leave that up to Steve to address..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:30:02 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »
The bike, as produced, never had a "speed limiter" tied to the speed sensor, only a "rev limiter", as a protective device.

Yep, that is what I posted weeks ago.  I don't think it also has a "speed limiter" but only a "rev limiter" which just equates to a certain speed based on rpm x tire size x gear x final drive.  Would love to know for sure if this is wrong.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
Both of the flashs (Steves and Ivans) mention removal of speed limiters and also talk of rpm limiters. So from my reading of their literature I will go on the premise that it is speed limited in stock form.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
The 2008 and 2009 models do not have a speed limiter, but the later models do. I have the 2009, that and the fact it is red, makes it the fastest C14.  :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 03:34:27 PM »
Both of the flashs (Steves and Ivans) mention removal of speed limiters and also talk of rpm limiters. So from my reading of their literature I will go on the premise that it is speed limited in stock form.

Inquiring minds want to know!  The ECU has access to speed, I assume, since the ABS and traction control know how fast the wheel is turning (there are sensors for that, of course).  Steve should speak up :)

Not that it really matters that much to me, I know *I* certainly won't be going that fast.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »
The 2008 and 2009 models do not have a speed limiter, but the later models do. I have the 2009, that and the fact it is red, makes it the fastest C14.  :chugbeer:

In your dreams..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 03:17:30 PM »
For me speed is about acceleration.... I don't care much  about top speed (well, as long as it is reasonable).  And the nice part is, as long as you have control (not skidding, not losing traction, not drifting, both tires on ground, being safe), and going under the speed limit, you can get there about as fast as you like and there isn't too much anyone can do about it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 04:18:19 PM »
"And the nice part is, as long as you have control (not skidding, not losing traction, not drifting, both tires on ground, being safe)"

What a Debbie Downer....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 08:37:24 PM »
160 on the dial and still pulling before I backed off. With the side bags on.
Got kinda wobbly on the curves over 140.
The only thing I believe limiting speed is wind resistance, the space between the operators ears and the volume of the content in the ball bag

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2020, 03:15:49 AM »
I saw 165mph on the speedo on the Autobahn in 2007 but it is an analogue speedo so probably over-reads by 10mph up there.
This was with a stock 2008 model (still had those godawful Bridgepoop BT021s on it) with the screen fully down, both side-bags mounted, a 52 litre trunk and a 350lb Boomer onboard.  :banana

Theoretically a stock 08/09 is faster than the 10- models as the 08/09 are limited to 186Mph in the ECU but the 10- are limited to 155mph.
I have yet to hear of anyone comparing early/late model top speeds under identical conditions with calibrated speed measurement equipment.
If you really want to go faster, get a ZX14 or an H2.  :D

Whilst flashing will give you a little more top end power, it's not a huge amount (10-15bhp) which may add 5mph to your top speed.
One of the things that is changed when they flash the ECU is to remove/raise the speed limit.
The primary advantages that flashing gives are
-low RPM grunt so she will accelerate harder
-less snatchy on/off/on throttle
-believe it or not, slightly better gas mileage.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2020, 06:35:24 PM »
I'm not trying to break land speed records. Just playing with my toy and seeing what it will do. Originally I figured it would just stop accelerating at 155 (indicated). Fully plan on getting it flashed in the next year and I have realistic expectations based on other members reviews. Currently working on the long ride comfort aspect.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
per my old post, #24, I have yet to recreate the "top end" experiment, but will be doing it soon..
I feel now with the flash I have, it will pull those last untouched mph/rpm, from this ancient bike.
at 65, my testicles have reduced in size, but not my passion for speed.. I know last year, on a long stretch of Ohio back highway, I hit 170, but my garmine was not funtioning to back up the road speed, and downloaded,,.. we'll do it again shortly.. 170 is a real eye opener.. most people will never know that feeling.
If I die, when I die, I hope it was doing just that.   Being the "Sausage Creature"...

ride safe.. and NO, you can't ride with me..
https://youtu.be/vFyTFToX2eg
http://youtu.be/vFyTFToX2eg