Author Topic: Wrecked my connie  (Read 6789 times)

Offline pat8228

Wrecked my connie
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »
Yesterday I wrecked my 04 connie when a farm tractor pulled out in front of me. I was doing around 60 mph. I credit my helmet for saving my life. my head bounced off the road at least 4 times. I came out of it with road rash and lacerations on my right arm and right leg, broke one rib, and injury to my right shoulder. I believe the damage to my bike may be just cosmetic (I hope). I've been riding for over 31 years and this is the 1st time I've laid one down. Also this is the first year I started wearing a helmet. 30 years of riding without one. WOW am I lucky. I'll be riding again as soon as my shoulder lets me!!!

Bob

Re: Wrecked my connie
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »
Wow, very, very lucky!

You gotta watch them there farm tractors. They're always jumping out in front of you!!!!!  ;D

Hope you heal up quickly!

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:11:12 AM »
Glad to know you are overall OK! Heal soon.
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:00:49 PM »
Glad to hear that you made it through that relatively unscathed. What did the farmer have to say for himself?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
Glad you're okay (mostly) and had that helmet on! I've ridden more years than you and have never understood why some bikers refuse to wear them. I LIKE my head. It's the only one I've got.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »
Glad your still here and with all your pieces, get healed up soon!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
Good to hear you made it through that on ok. It's tales like this that keep me wearing my helmet. That & I've had 3 friends wreck over the last 3 years. Two were wearing & one wasn't. The one without a helmet is dead. The other two broke bones but healed well and both their bike had to be trailered to a shop for repair. The third one, his bike was ridden at his funeral a couple of days later. Sorry about the hijack. For some reason I had the need to relate that. Very glad to know you are gonna make it.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 01:56:09 PM »
Do you think ABS would have made a diiference?

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
Glad to know all is well (or will be) and that you wore the helmet.  Hopefully the repairs will be easy and you'll be back on the road again soon.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline vman

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
great you survived such a potentially deadly situation!     If possible could you describe the sequence so we can all learn as best we can from it?     What worked or didnt work for you?    What were road conditions?   How much time did you have to react?  what kind of helmet did you use?    Was it a stock bike?   tire/brake condition?      Sorry to be a pest but real world survivors are great sources of knowledge for us all to learn from!

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
I've ridden for thirty eight years, Always with a helmet. Promised my wife I'd leave a good looking head, well as good looking's it's gonna get. Put it on a lazy susan and give it a spin.
Rather ride with no pants than no helmet. :o
Glad you made it relatively unscathed.  :)
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline booger

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Heal quickly friend.

Pretty good injuries to be wanting to climb back on ASAP.

You're much tougher than I.   ;)

Offline cmoore

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 04:42:49 AM »
Glad you are going to be O.K. If I don't have a helmet on when I throw my leg over the bike I feel buck ass naked.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline pat8228

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
First thing i want to do is thank everyone for all the sympathy. Second I'll try to answer the questions some has asked. If I miss one I apologize it's not intentional.
Cruising to work at 60 mph on a country road, and when I came around a curve there was a farm tractor pulling out into the street (big tractor taking up both lanes of traffic). My only choice was to lock up my brakes, both front and back to keep from hitting the tractor. Tires started sliding, then the bike got wobbling side to side. I don't remember how I came off the bike, but I do remember flying through the air. First thing I thought was "Well I guess It's all over now!". But I tucked my arms into my body and tried to go limp and go with the flow (not try to fight it). I think that helped a lot. If i would have tried to catch myself with my arms or legs I think they would have been broke also. I remember landing on my right shoulder and then my head slammed onto the road. every time my head hit I blacked out for a fraction of a second. I came to a stop in the middle of the road about a foot from the blades on the back of the tractor. I laid in the road not moving for about a minute trying to analyze my injuries. I felt alright so I stood up and walked over to check out my baby (my bike). I was going to work, and I am a police officer so I had on my uniform and bullet proof vest which probably helped too.
Farmer said he didn't see me. I didn't do anything wrong and I don't think he did either. It was just one of those uncontrollable things.
ABS I think would have helped. It would have kept the bike from starting the uncontrollable wobble.
I am a true believer of helmets now, I wouldn't be here if I wasn't wearing it. The only reason I had it on is a lady I know made me promise her I would wear one. I always hated helmets, but you'll never see me on a bike without one again.
If you don't wear one please start!
Thanks to everyone again
Pat

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
No offense, but you said you were doing nothing wrong. What is the speed limit on that road?

Glad you are okay, it dang sure beats the alternative.

If ya think your head isn't worth the price of a good helmet you are probably right.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 10:13:30 AM »
From experience, the vest helped. 
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »
First thing i want to do is thank everyone for all the sympathy. Second I'll try to answer the questions some has asked. If I miss one I apologize it's not intentional.
Cruising to work at 60 mph on a country road, and when I came around a curve there was a farm tractor pulling out into the street (big tractor taking up both lanes of traffic). My only choice was to lock up my brakes, both front and back to keep from hitting the tractor. Tires started sliding, then the bike got wobbling side to side. I don't remember how I came off the bike, but I do remember flying through the air. First thing I thought was "Well I guess It's all over now!". But I tucked my arms into my body and tried to go limp and go with the flow (not try to fight it). I think that helped a lot. If i would have tried to catch myself with my arms or legs I think they would have been broke also. I remember landing on my right shoulder and then my head slammed onto the road. every time my head hit I blacked out for a fraction of a second. I came to a stop in the middle of the road about a foot from the blades on the back of the tractor. I laid in the road not moving for about a minute trying to analyze my injuries. I felt alright so I stood up and walked over to check out my baby (my bike). I was going to work, and I am a police officer so I had on my uniform and bullet proof vest which probably helped too.
Farmer said he didn't see me. I didn't do anything wrong and I don't think he did either. It was just one of those uncontrollable things.
ABS I think would have helped. It would have kept the bike from starting the uncontrollable wobble.
I am a true believer of helmets now, I wouldn't be here if I wasn't wearing it. The only reason I had it on is a lady I know made me promise her I would wear one. I always hated helmets, but you'll never see me on a bike without one again.
If you don't wear one please start!
Thanks to everyone again
Pat

Good post! Good analysis. Glad you're still with us! Now get the bike fixed so you can go riding. Ohhh . . . and get a new helmet. The old one did its job. Replace it.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
After reading what happened, It sounds like you were going into a blind corner too fast. I think riding the Connie is like riding a bull when you get in trouble. It's heavy and when brakes get locked up, you don't have much of a chance of staying on.  I have read that when you lock up brakes, you need to lay it down. This might have helped, but I think that is near impossible to do, unless you do it all the time. I know I can't lay it down on purpose. As far as ABS goes, I wonder if ABS gives you a sense of more confidence to go faster.
Here are two things I learned
1. It doesn't matter how long you been riding, you still can get caught off guard.
2. Slow your speed into turns you cannot see ahead of. Don't assume a blind corner is okay.

Pat, what ever the case, I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. (I am not criticizing you, I certainly don't think I am a better rider than you and this can't happen to me. I'm just trying to learn from it, so I can avoid this terrible experience) The best part is that you are okay.

Offline pat8228

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
Speed limit is 55, I was doing 60. curve isn't real sharp, slow gradual curve, and there's no cross street on the other side. He came out of a driveway. I travel this road everyday, so i may have been over confident. It shows that anything can happen.
I did get on the bike today and ride around the block, just to check it out. it seems to be running good, just cosmetic damage. Which isn't good because it was a beautiful bike. I went to a doctor for my shoulder today and found out I have a fractured shoulder blade also. Doc said i should be healed up in 3 weeks. Then I'll be riding again!
Thanks for all the comments.
The reason i started this post is to let everyone learn from my misfortune and be aware of similar situations. Might save someone else's life. Maybe get someone who don't wear a helmet to start wearing one.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:28 PM »
Damn glad to have you with us, Pat! Thanks for the details, just shows how aware you were during the entire high-side.
Surely the parts you'll need can be had by our own in the for sale section, and help from our member base, were
kinda funny that way! After you and your bike heal up, maybe a shake-down run to the National in Vermont in August??  8)
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'