Author Topic: New To Forum  (Read 1880 times)

Offline sport rider

New To Forum
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:22:15 AM »
...but not new to the Concours.  I have three now.  most recent is a 94 model basket case which I'm planning to build into a cafe.

if anyone knows of someone that can make a custom seatpan/seat, I need a source.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: New To Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »
after looking at the extensive damage that poor machine has gone thru, the seat pan would be a labor of love to modify.... simple tools, some time, and a staple tacker, and ez pz to complete...but then, you still have a void behind it... I see wheels on that bikes prior conversions, showing extensive efforts on the p/o, cutting down a seat pan is very basic... does it run? your expenses for just getting some needed stock parts, for controls and needed sundries far excedes what you spent on the wrecked machine, I know, having built a Nekid Bike from a $500 "parts bike"... dumb thing on my part to do, but at the time I had a running Conni, and wanted to "push" the envelope... $5k later, I can never sell my "one of a kind" COGZilla.. just cautioning ya to realisyically be prepared to expend a ton of $$$$ for zero return... if you cant mod it yourself, well... add those $$$$ into the experience.

but I always love a challenge. :deadhorse: :hitfan: :banana :banana

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
the bike came to me in full covering.  The footpeg broke in a tipover, not wreck.  had the usual cracked pieces around the mirrors.  it's been sitting for several years though.

this pic was after I stripped it down and replaced the front with my ZRX1100 parts and the rear with my meanstreak wheel.  the seat I cut down myself.  I just wanted to get a concept/idea of looks.  carbs need cleaned by Steve and then put back on.  I'm going to make some type of inner fender for the rear, ZRX speedo/tach, headlight and signal setup.  that should be enough to get it rolling again give or take a few other odds and ends.  I'll easily have another grand in it from where I'm at now, but don't think it'll be anywhere near 5k.  at least I hope not.  :o

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »
First, Welcome to the "nut house" :)

Second, modifying the stock 'dual' seat to a single seat may be a problem as the seat latches are under the passenger seating location.

Corbin (corbin.com) blows a new seat pan out of fiberglass for new seat orders, they have a template/mould for the C-10 seat pan.

I'm reasonably good with fiberglass, I built a four place 220mph aero-plane out of glass from scratch, so I could *theoretically* build you a single person seat pan. But the latching mechanism would be an issue, and it would require mods to your frame than I can not do (or suggest).

I don't think the stock/OEM seat pan is a candidate for modifications (it's lame ass plastic), but a fiberglass/metal seat pan could be. See "corbin" above.

And, welcome to the "Nut House", if I forgot ;)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline sport rider

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
Thanks Rick.  what I'm thinking is to use the existing seat pan as it matches up to the tank, but also has a nice contoured seating area.  just want the traditional cafe back on it rather than second passenger seat.  However, the seat is too long for just contouring the foam and leaving it.  as I've removed the rear frame section, there are actually two bolt holes where the frame attached.  I'm planning to put a cafe "hoop" on the back which will handle taillight, signals and license.  I'm thinking some type of quick release pins through a bolt at that frame connection will hold the seat down....that, along with the front hook.

if that approach doesn't work, I will probably go with a traditional aftermarket seat pan, but it's hard to find because the frame is wide back there.  I really don't want to get into modding the frame if I don't have to.

i'll check with Corbin though.  maybe they'll have some ideas.  maybe if they could build a fiberglass one, I could start with that and mod it in the back the way I want.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »
Didn't Corbin make a gunfighter seat for the c10? Maybe you could find an old used one to work with.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »
I've sent them a message to see if they can help me.  in the mean time, I have plenty of other things to get done.  dumped the oil and did a valve job.  replaced the side case and valve cover as the old ones was pretty weathered.  nice to have a parts motor in pretty good shape.  :)

still have coolant log seals to replace while the carbs are off, and need to flush the coolant.  the previous owner hasn't gotten me the key, so I'm probably going to have to source a new ignition switch and gas tank cap.  if anyone has some spare, let me know.

I am still thinking about what mufflers to use.  I want something stubby that doesn't extend as far back as stock or even my holeshots that I have on the 05.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »
I sent you an Email with possible inexpensive shorty mufflers.

Ted

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline sport rider

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
that's a nice alternative to the stock pipe.  it's still a bit long for what I want.  I'm thinking I want it to end around the passenger footpeg.  I may look at this for the sidecar rig though.  mo money, mo money!  :D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »
I like the small Delk's too, but he wanted to stop near the passenger pegs, and the Delk's go way past that point.

Here's something that would stop at/before the passenger foot peg.
I suspect; their OMG Loud!  :o
 They do say their about 100 db and have baffles?  :rotflmao:

But, the image might give you an idea to use for mounting the Muffler info I sent you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-18-zx14-zx-14-DUAL-Shorty-Slip-On-MINI-Drag-Muffler-BLACK-2-NEW-PIPES-SALE/202118364781?hash=item2f0f317e6d:g:c2IAAOSwx7laEL1T:rk:7:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Suzuki-GSXR-600-SHORTY-Moto-GP-EXHAUST-Pipe-Baffled-04-NEW/190770084188?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55165%26meid%3D6a401f6c48e844e1978c90602458e0d2%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D202118364781%26itm%3D190770084188&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Ride safe, Ted

Offline sport rider

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
the delks do look good.  I may not get away with anything much shorter than that.  perhaps fab another pipe for it.