Author Topic: NRA press Conference  (Read 31870 times)

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: NRA press Conference
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »
Autism by country... we run ~ .20% here.  This was 2004 stats.

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/a/autism/stats-country.htm

... interesting read about it... more details...

http://sfari.org/news-and-opinion/news/2011/researchers-track-down-autism-rates-across-the-globe
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 09:45:18 AM »
Follow the money, Autism gets a lot of money these days in research and publicity. It was the same in the medical community a few years back with "Brain Attack", or what we'd call a "stroke". Now, the new buzz ailment is concussions, a lot of talk and money and publicity is going into this and you'll be hearing a lot of it in the next year or so. I'll not doubt Autism is out there, but I see what I'd call over diagnosing and mis-diagnosing what I merely call poor parenting, again, this is only based on what I see as a medical person. Anecdotal evidence is out there I'm sure as is scientific evidence, after all the movie stars go on to other things to testify about, Autism seems to be diagnosed less and less. Remember Ritalin?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Bart

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
I noticed that several of you assumed I want to ban guns. I never said that. I just want to know why America is so much more violent (at least in terms of mass killing, gun crimes and murder) than the rest of the 1st world.

By the way, the 1st world does not include China or Russia it is US, Canada, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand. If you do the research, you'll see the America has about 4x the murder rate the rest of the 1st world. America also has an incarceration rate more than 4x the rest of the 1st world. Mass murders happen elsewhere, but not with anywhere close to the frequency of America.

What is the solution? I'm not smart enough to know but something is wrong with us. Looking at the rest of the 1st world, I doubt that more guns and more jail is the solution.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »
Bart - you're probably right- we really don't need any more guns. We just need the ones we have more strategically placed. Steve

Son of Pappy

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »
Why the separation of worlds?  Is a life worth more here?

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »
We incarcerate more people for drug offenses than any other country too...

On Dec. 31, 2011, there were 197,050 sentenced prisoners under federal jurisdiction. Of these, 94,600 were serving time for drug offenses, 14,900 for violent offenses, 10,700 for property offenses, and 69,000 for "public order" offenses (of which 22,100 were sentenced for immigration offenses, 29,800 for weapons offenses, and 17.100 for "other").

On Dec. 31, 2010, there were 1,362,028 sentenced prisoners under state jurisdiction. Of these, 237,000 were serving time for drug offenses, 725,000 for violent offenses, 249,500 for property offenses, 142,500 for "public order" offenses (which include weapons, drunk driving, court offenses, commercialized vice, morals and decency offenses, liquor law violations, and other public-order offenses), and 7,900 for "other/unspecified".
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
I noticed that several of you assumed I want to ban guns. I never said that. I just want to know why America is so much more violent (at least in terms of mass killing, gun crimes and murder) than the rest of the 1st world.

By the way, the 1st world does not include China or Russia it is US, Canada, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand. If you do the research, you'll see the America has about 4x the murder rate the rest of the 1st world. America also has an incarceration rate more than 4x the rest of the 1st world. Mass murders happen elsewhere, but not with anywhere close to the frequency of America.

What is the solution? I'm not smart enough to know but something is wrong with us. Looking at the rest of the 1st world, I doubt that more guns and more jail is the solution.

Work less and drink more wine?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline booger

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 06:30:49 PM »
http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg

If I choose to violate the law (I don't) then I WILL be looked at as a "gun toting criminal on school property".

Steve, I choose to violate the law, when I must.  If I have to use my gun, I will accept being a
gun toting criminal on school property, but my family, and/or myself, will be alive.

I will then let a jury decide my fate.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Following this story from north of the border, most everyone I know finds your situation in the US puzzling. I'm not trying to be a smart ass about it, but it seems you are in an arms race with your own people and I'm not sure there is any way out.

If you reduce your weapons, the criminals will have the upper hand, and if you place armed guards at schools, I question if you'd be feeding the frenzy. If a nutjob wants to attack a school, I think he will find a way around or through any guard at a school. Is the next step more guards?

I also have no solution.

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2012, 06:53:36 AM »
Work less and drink more wine? martinis.

Fify
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2012, 06:56:36 AM »
Why the separation of worlds?  Is a life worth more here?

Interesting question...  I've only ever heard of third world countries, never second world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »
Fify

Actually for me that would be more Spicy Bloody Marys with Beer Chasers.....   8)
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
My kind of living!  Merry Christmas to all!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »
My kind of living!  Merry Christmas to all!

Only if I can find an open bar or rest in Sturgeon Bay WI on Christmas day.... Otherwise   :(
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »
 :'(

Offline Leo

« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »
Some people are not going to like this, but I think these statements reflect at least a partial answer to the question of why we have so many more criminals than other countries.  There is not intention to be provocative.  This is a matter that I have studied and involved my life in since 2004

Most people have little exposure to prisons.  I have worked inside 4 of them in 3 different states.  Look inside. 
A huge percentage of the population is made of people that either came to our country from somewhere else or are the children of immigrants that refused to acclimate to our society and accept our value system.  A house divided against itself cannot stand. I am in no way a blue blood, I was raised by an immigrant, who was proud to have had the chance to make a good life in America.  He had a great work ethic and an almost sacred attitude of thankfulness to be allowed this life in America.  This feature is not widely found in incarceration.

We Americans look at everyone through American eyes.  We honestly believe that everyone wants to be like us and part of our society.  Through both our socialized views of legal immigrants and our failed government control of our borders, we have attracted and absorbed a huge population of people that have NO INTENTION of being law abiding Americans.  They are only here because we are easy to scam and soft on crime.  They have no moral or rational motivation to live in a way that is productive and respectful to America.  They have no respect for your rights or any rights that we take forgranted as usual.  While the european nations mentioned do not have the crime problems we do, there problems are growing in direct proportion to the immigrants that refuse to honor the society that is their host. 

As far as true evil in some people, I believe in some cases that is true.  I have talked directly with some.  Most are not too conversant with a Chaplain, but when they speak, you realize that something is very different and that they are not simply misguided or immature screw ups.  I think there is a reason the hair on the back of your neck stands up around them.  That inner sense is a gift to warn you to protect your own safety.  Our legal system routinely reintroduces these our society for economic or other convienience.

Around 1903 we had a spiritual revival in this country.  Our violent crime rates went down significantly.   We also exercised capital punishment in greater proportion than at any time since.  By the mid 1920's we forgot what we learned during that time.  We have completely failed to teach people the responsible ways of life.  Our failure to speak the truth and demand all members to live up to the standards has not only attracted but also bred a whole section of amoral enemies.  These enemies are warm and comfortable with any pain they cause to the law biding and innocent.   

Goodness is taught to the heart by speaking the truth.  Safety and security is achieved by requiring people live it. 
It seems we are unwilling to do either. 

Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
 :goodpost:

Offline ARS

« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
+1

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
Amen Leo!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
Following this story from north of the border, most everyone I know finds your situation in the US puzzling. I'm not trying to be a smart ass about it, but it seems you are in an arms race with your own people and I'm not sure there is any way out.

If you reduce your weapons, the criminals will have the upper hand, and if you place armed guards at schools, I question if you'd be feeding the frenzy. If a nutjob wants to attack a school, I think he will find a way around or through any guard at a school. Is the next step more guards?

I also have no solution.

mat

Life is a series of events and sometimes those series result in tragedies such as the Sandy Hook shooting. Our citizens are not in an arms race with each other. There are folks throughout this country that have all types of beliefs and interests just like all other countries. Gun ownership is just one of those interests. Many people hunt, target shoot, feel they need the ability to self defend themselves or simply like to collect, build etc. When a tragedy strikes that involves a gun our special interest politicians take advantage and impose their narrowed views on the rest of us. Our Founding Fathers granted us the rights and responsibilities of gun ownership because of their fear of subjugation of the citizenry by a tyrannical government;
" the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The type or restriction of "arms" was never defined.

What led to the Sandy Hook shooting started as a deterioration of a mentally ill individual influenced and surrounded by a desensitized, progressively violent culture perpetrated by Hollywood and the video game industry that sensationalizes killing and violence; he had access to weapons, and unhindered access to defenseless adults and children.

To say that everyone exposed to violent entertainment will turn into a killer is about as irrational as saying that all gun owners are potential killers, whether they posses a single shot or automatic weapon.

What needs to be done IMO is to increase the care rendered to the mentally ill ( very tall order), deny access to weapons to these people ( secure storage, education etc.), crack down on the already known criminal element to prevent their access to guns ( not the law biding citizen) and secure soft targets such as schools and hospitals etc. I believe the continued assault on morals, personal responsibility, the continued glorification of violence in movies, television, music and the secular,"me now" society that we live in will continue to foster evil tragedies, the weapons used will be different but the results will be the same.

Replace (fire) one inefficient teacher in every school with an armed guard. I would bet if you fired all the inefficient teachers across the nation we would have more than enough guards. Don't stop there, lets fire 1% of all government staff and use that money; stop funding the UN, and cut off aid to Egypt and we could guard every soft target in our country. And lets start charging every country that benefits from our military umbrella and we could pay off our national debt in 5 years or less! ( I guess that should be saved for another thread)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 02:26:18 PM by tjpgi »
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200