Author Topic: Does extended warranty cover light bulbs?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline katata1100

Does extended warranty cover light bulbs?
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »
I have a dead headlight and a dead running light. Will my Kawasaki extended warranty pay to replace it?
And if not, how do you get to those bulbs?

Offline jwh20

Re: Does extended warranty cover light bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 04:14:19 AM »
I'm sure someone who reads the warranty daily will be along to correct me if I'm wrong but these are generally considered to be "wearable" items and are not covered under the program.  The headlight bulbs are accessed by removing the rubber covers in front of the instrument cluster.  I believe they are type H-4.

I've never changed the running light bulbs but I believe the socket is right in the center in that same area.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 06:07:21 AM »
Not covered. Bulbs fall into the same catigory as oil, filters, gas, tires, etc.

I switched mine out to LED. Headlight is an H4 bulb. Not sure about the other.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:52:12 AM »
+1

LED's time has really come now.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22202.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
I think every light on my bike is LED and that's a 2016....so yes, it's time has come.  Although the tech in Japan that adjusted my headlight on my 08 C14 must have migrated to Iowa as the Indian headlight (stock LED I might add) was aimed just about straight down.   It's strange in that I'm seeing similar stuff on the Indian that I saw on the C14....poorly aimed headlight, wacky TPMS, and complaints about heat.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
Thanks, but I decided to change them to mid grade Phillips halogen.
My concerns are that I wouldn’t be happy with led, cost plus, I almost never drive at night as it is.
Maybe in a couple of years, there will be better led bulbs out.
Fwiw, I do have three vehicles running relays and 80/100 bulbs, two of them also have high quality non US headlamps with excellent dispersion . My katana 1100 has a solid glass headlamp with beautiful dispersion .
But hey, I’ll look into next year .

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
Each year they are getting better and better.  Better cooling options, better dispersion and control, better brightness, and lower cost.  I like the ones (headlights) I have now, although they could be a little brighter.   But just a year  prior to those, the models were worse and more expensive.  I just think they have hit the sweet spot in the last year of being at least as good as halogen and yet affordable, too.

Now, in 5+ years, the designs will probably peak and then the prices and selection will start getting worse.  Why?  Because the market will be saturated and the vehicles that can use halogen bulbs will be far fewer (because new vehicles will all use factory LED).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
I have $1.49 orange Walmart city lights and maybe $80 LED headlights that rock.  Way brighter than stock and almost as good as the HID I had better, but no ballasts to constantly fail.  Plus, 2 connectors total as opposed to 22 connectors for both headlights.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F