Author Topic: What are your vacation (read: bike riding) plans this summer?  (Read 13821 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
What are your vacation (read: bike riding) plans this summer?
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:49:31 AM »
Little brother & I are heading to the Smokies after attending his daughter's wedding late July.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline st2sam

Re: What are your vacation (read: bike riding) plans this summer?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 05:49:02 AM »
Nothing firm yet, however, the MotoGP at Indy is on top of the list.
I went a few years ago and it's a great event, plus the Indy Mile, on the same weekend, was iceing on the cake .        (no Indy mile this year >:()

It's a bit early for me to start planning as I'm retired, so as long as there isn't a big family event I'm good to go.

2009 Kawasaki C14
1993 Ducati 907ie (for sale)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »
I planned to ride back East for my nephew's wedding then do a CC50 on the way back. It's a bucket list thing for me. That ain't gonna happen THIS year.

Another one of my customers is getting inducted into the Bike Builder's Hall of Fame this year in August up in Sturgis. That happens about 10 days after my nephew's wedding, so riding to  both is out of the question due to time constraints.  I have avoided Sturgis like the plague but I need to go this time...

Probably slide up to the Concours Rally in Cortez for a day or 2 also
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:45:36 AM by Deziner »
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 06:41:38 AM »
So want to go to the rally in Cortez. Only an easy day from my home in Colorado Springs. But I'm working a new job in Austin TX with limited vacation so I doubt I'll make it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 06:44:34 AM »
I hope to do my usual 10-15 thousand mile summer from the mountains to the seas and a lot of places in between

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 06:53:19 AM »
Steve, your driving me crazy! Want to ride to the rally and put a few thousand miles on my C14. Want to hop on my DR650 (or better yet get a new KTM 690) and ride the rockies from NM to MT camping along the way. Want to finish assembling my RV-3 and fly the continental US rim. But this whole making a living thing is getting in the way!

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 06:54:04 AM »
Biking (bicycling) in France in May, lots of little motorbike rides in the summer, yearly jaunt down the Blue Ridge Parkway in September (between hurricanes).
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 07:40:17 AM »
No firm plans.  Have several invites to ride out to the west coast to finish my lower 48, but the best time to ride WA, OR, falls across my 30 year anniversary.  Can't talk her into going with me, or meeting me out there.  She had a scalp injury this past year that make a helmet very uncomfortable.

I may add some vacation time on my next work trip to NM, and at least hit southern California.

I have lost many of my riding buds to injury, disease, relocation for work, grandchildren, and retirement.  The retired ones travel when they want which doesn't line up with when I can. 

I have traveled alone, and will continue to do so, but sharing a great view or road with someone else is a better experience.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
Planning on buying a home over the next few months so probably just one long one this year. Friend of mine from back east is hoping to come down in May and we plan on The Dragon, Smokies (he's never been) and then on into Kentucky I think.

If I can make it work, would like to make it up to Arkansas as well at some point this year.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Nothing firm yet, however, the MotoGP at Indy is on top of the list.

Those Indy folks definitely know how to put on an event.  We've gone every year it's been held.  Saw the Indy mile when Kenny Roberts made a couple of laps to start the event.  That was really something!  Last year was the first year we went downtown to see the bikes.  Should have been doing it every year.  We'll be there again this year.

Also going to the Superbike races at Road America.  Also an annual event. 

Other than that mostly just lots of day rides around the area, scouting out new and old favorite roads.  Outside chance of going to the Speed Week event in Bonneville again at the end of the summer.  Awesome trip with the Black Hills, Bear Tooth Pass, Chief Joseph highway, etc all along the way.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
I have traveled alone, and will continue to do so, but sharing a great view or road with someone else is a better experience.
That's why my brother is going. He's never been there, I lost my wife last August, and we're not getting any younger.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Gsun

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
Going from Vancouver BC to Cortez CO for the rally then on to San Fransisco to visit family then up the coast home. The second trip will be the Rockies with the wife.

Offline Doenitz

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
I'm planning on heading to Missoula, then to Hells Canyon and around the Idaho, Oregon and Washington area in May or June. Not likely able to be in the area for the COG NW Bun Cooler ride.
Also to the BMW MOA Rally in Billings then Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone.  Not sure whether I will take the C14 or the K12GT to the BMW rally.
I've not been to a rally of any kind before and I usually ride alone.  I expect it will be an experience.
The avatar picture is in the parking lot of the Ranger station at Lolo Pass, by the way.  About ten feet of snow at that time.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »
I'm planning on heading to Missoula, then to Hells Canyon and around the Idaho, Oregon and Washington area in May or June. Not likely able to be in the area for the COG NW Bun Cooler ride.
Also to the BMW MOA Rally in Billings then Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone.  Not sure whether I will take the C14 or the K12GT to the BMW rally.
I've not been to a rally of any kind before and I usually ride alone.  I expect it will be an experience.
The avatar picture is in the parking lot of the Ranger station at Lolo Pass, by the way.  About ten feet of snow at that time.

I rode across Oregon several years ago and it was FANTASTIC! Route 26 through John Day then on to Hell's Canyon and down to Twin Falls.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 05:27:53 PM »

Great avatar. Would have been truly impressive if you'd have been suited up Rollie.

Offline Doenitz

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
Too cold for that.  "ten feet of snow at the time"

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
I'm packing up my camping gear on my 06 C10 and heading to the American West for 6 mos beginning mid April. I've been riding and camping in the West since 1975. I rode out to The North Rim and to Yellowstone on a Suzuki GT750, the Water Buffalo and I was hooked. I've made many trips to the West since then but the constant has always been limited time. The longest trip has been 5 weeks but most have been 2 or 3 weeks with a few 1 week trips to Colorado, even a  1 week trip to Idaho and back. This time I will have time, as much as I can stand, I'm planning on 6 mos I could make it more.
I'm not planning a route, I'm not planning destinations, I'm just researching possibilities and I'll make my decisions daily as to where and when.

Hope you all enjoy your rides this summer, I'm looking forward to having a blast.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 12:18:25 PM »
Sounds awesome, Roadhound!

I'll be headed to Cortez with the COGgers this June for a week. And I'm trying to put together at least a 3-4 day trip with my son. Probably a Michigan UP ride.

I've got 4 weeks of vacation and another week of personal time to work with. Trouble is I'll be tempted to spend as much of it as I can riding, but have a wife that breaks out in hives even looking at my bike. She'd sooner have a hysterectomy, using a butter knife and no anesthesia, than take a ride around the block with me. And no, it's not me.  :-X  It's the bike.

I'll also be turning 60 this August, and am literally counting the days until I can retire.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 12:36:18 PM »
Judy and I (retired last year) are planning to attend the COG National in Cortez.
(We vacation at the National almost every year, and then see what is nearby to use it as a "side trip" on our way home.)
Haven't decided on our side trip yet.

If all goes as planned; After we return from Cortez (and rest), we're planning to fly to Germany to ride with this years "Over the Pond Traveler".
While there we'll meet the Past (GCE) "OtP "Travelers in Germany etc and stay with a few.

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:37:36 AM by connie_rider »

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »
I'm packing up my camping gear on my 06 C10 and heading to the American West for 6 mos beginning mid April. I've been riding and camping in the West since 1975. I rode out to The North Rim and to Yellowstone on a Suzuki GT750, the Water Buffalo and I was hooked. I've made many trips to the West since then but the constant has always been limited time. The longest trip has been 5 weeks but most have been 2 or 3 weeks with a few 1 week trips to Colorado, even a  1 week trip to Idaho and back. This time I will have time, as much as I can stand, I'm planning on 6 mos I could make it more.
I'm not planning a route, I'm not planning destinations, I'm just researching possibilities and I'll make my decisions daily as to where and when.

Hope you all enjoy your rides this summer, I'm looking forward to having a blast.

:thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)