Author Topic: GTR1400 Oil Filter Cross Reference Chart  (Read 2589 times)

Offline 07midnite

GTR1400 Oil Filter Cross Reference Chart
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
Hello,

I've searched this forum for an oil filter reference chart but cant seem to find one. Does anyone know what other filters fit a 2019 GTR other than factory-made in China, or K&N?

Thanks in advance!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freebird65

Re: GTR1400 Oil Filter Cross Reference Chart
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 11:41:30 AM »
K&N Motorcycle Oil Filter  KN-303  $13 on Amazon. This the one I use.
2008 C14
Shoodaben "Steve's" MRP flash Awesome!
SV1000 naked

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 04:44:46 PM »
It's the one I used as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 08:10:38 PM »
It's the one I used as well.

And me.  And lots of others.  Reasonable quality, price, and availability.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 08:44:18 PM »
And me.  And lots of others.  Reasonable quality, price, and availability.

But...it's K&N  :stirpot: :rotflmao:

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 02:51:05 AM »
But...it's K&N  :stirpot: :rotflmao:
Their oil filters seem to be well made and have the advantage of the hex-nut welded on the end so MUCH easier to remove.
For me they seem worth the extra few $ over the budget filters.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 05:44:37 AM »
and have the advantage of the hex-nut welded on the end so MUCH easier to remove.

And that would be the killer feature... if it worked.  The problem is that the nut is so poorly formed and so shallow, that I have yet to be able to remove it using a socket wrench.  Any amount of significant torque and it just skips.  Perhaps it is my socket set (although we are talking quality [original] Craftsman, they are 12 point).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 07:48:19 AM »
And that would be the killer feature... if it worked.  The problem is that the nut is so poorly formed and so shallow, that I have yet to be able to remove it using a socket wrench.  Any amount of significant torque and it just skips.  Perhaps it is my socket set (although we are talking quality [original] Craftsman, they are 12 point).
:rotflmao:
According to their blurb it should be 17mm.
I dumped all my 12 point sockets years ago after chewing up way too many nuts and bolts.
6 point is where it's at, and all my 1/2" ones are Impact sockets too so are breaker-bar/impact-driver proof.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
:rotflmao:I dumped all my 12 point sockets years ago after chewing up way too many nuts and bolts.  6 point is where it's at

All my 1/4 sockets are 6-point.  But all my 3/8 sockets and box-end wrenches are 12-point.  I have only a few 1/2 and those are 6-point.  I probably should purchase a set of 3/8 6-point sockets.  I don't even know what good quality is anymore, though, since Craftsman essentially disappeared.  Almost all my tools are pre-2000's Craftsman.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 10:31:54 AM »
Never had any issues removing it via the welded nut.  Guess I was using the right tools.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »
Went by a whole line of Craftsman tools in Lowes today.

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 11:08:15 AM »
Their oil filters seem to be well made and have the advantage of the hex-nut welded on the end so MUCH easier to remove.
For me they seem worth the extra few $ over the budget filters.

I guess you missed the stirring the pot and guy laughing emoticons. Those meant I was joking.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
Went by a whole line of Craftsman tools in Lowes today.

Yeah, but are they actually Craftsman?  Or just the name slapped on some lower-quality Chinese stuff?  Even Sears obliterated their own Craftsman hand-tool warranty in their last bastion of failure when bought by K-Mart.

"Beginning in 2010, hand tools manufactured for Craftsman by Apex Tool Group (formerly known as Danaher) such as ratchets, sockets, and wrenches began to be sourced overseas mainly in China"

"Consumers may find different versions of Craftsman products at the different outlets that sell them because after the sale of Craftsman to SBD, the entities are free to source Craftsman from the suppliers of their own choosing."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »
I didn't have my magnifying glass with me...sorry. ;)

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »
Yeah, but are they actually Craftsman?  Or just the name slapped on some lower-quality Chinese stuff?  Even Sears obliterated their own Craftsman hand-tool warranty in their last bastion of failure when bought by K-Mart.

"Beginning in 2010, hand tools manufactured for Craftsman by Apex Tool Group (formerly known as Danaher) such as ratchets, sockets, and wrenches began to be sourced overseas mainly in China"

"Consumers may find different versions of Craftsman products at the different outlets that sell them because after the sale of Craftsman to SBD, the entities are free to source Craftsman from the suppliers of their own choosing."

Yes, they are Craftsman. They also are shifting back to manufacturing the tools in the US. https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/24/news/companies/craftsman-lowes-sears/index.html
http://www.mustangandfords.com/events/1811-craftsman-tools-is-back-made-in-usa

There only thing I don't like about Lowes carrying Craftsman, is that I discovered I really liked Kobalt tools. I tried them after Sears went out locally. Lowes still carries Kobalt, but because they also have Crafstman, they don't have the same selection they used to have. I have noticed lately it has gotten a little better, but they still carry more Crafstman. The added bonus for me, is my wife works there so I get a discount.  ;D

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 08:13:30 AM »
I switched to a K&N Filter that is longer {ie; more volume) than the 303.
It's the same diameter/gasket/internals', and has the nut on the end.
But, it costs less...

NOTE: I also place a speaker magnet over the nut so that the magnet can attract metal particles.
Works great.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I don't have the longer filter number available. Will try to find it.
Update; The filter I went to is a K&N 198.
             Available at Walmart or O'Riley Auto parts.
             https://www.knfilters.com/kn-198-oil-filter

Here is the K&N 303. So, you can compare the specification's.
             https://www.knfilters.com/kn-303-oil-filter

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 12:21:57 PM »
Interesting idea.  The "regular" prices on Amazon are the same, but the 198 is currently lower in price by about $2 "for a limited time".  I wonder if the larger filter = larger filter paper area = longer service life? (Just because it is bigger doesn't mean the filter inside is any bigger or more/larger pleats).

303 = 66mm OD x 83mm long = 283,959 mm^3
198 = 65mm OD x 96mm long = 318,557 mm^3

So not that much difference in volume (32,598 mm^3 = 12%).  So I guess it doesn't matter much.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 01:27:45 PM »
{ok, OK,,,  Oooootay!!}
 Sooooo mebbe I wasn't specific about "how much",,, bigger/longer/cheaper, it wuz...  :stirpot:
          But, at least I didn't lie. <sneaky grin>

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 04:33:46 PM by connie_rider »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 03:30:09 PM »
It's nice to have a second option, especially one that costs less.  I doubt many of us would have known this was possible without your posting.