Author Topic: Buck's Sport Touring handlebar mods  (Read 4693 times)

Offline ATC Buckeye

Buck's Sport Touring handlebar mods
« on: July 25, 2011, 06:57:50 AM »
Has anyone tried sending their bars to Bucks for the pull-back modification he offers?   I recently got my seat back from Rick Mayer and while it's very comfortable, it's quite tall and my bars are too far away now.  I'd rather not have the seat lowered as I love the improved legroom and better visibility over my windshield, but I need to get the bars closer.   I know that handlebar position is very subjective, but I'd like to know any thoughts on the Buck's mod if anyone has tried it.  Thanks!

Dan

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
Re: Buck's Sport Touring handlebar mods
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:01:52 PM »
Larry's mod works by using riser blocks raise the grips and redrilling the clip-ons to bring the grips in. It does narrow the included angle of the grips and forces a change in how they fit your hands. His website explains it better. He also has instructions for a mock-up so you'll know how they feel before purchase.

This and other options are covered in the FAQs. Imagine that.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=655.0

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »
Yeah I saw all that.  I understand what it is.  I was hoping to get some input from people who have actually tried the modification.  Imagine that.

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
 ;D

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:14 PM »
Sorry. I didn't see this until now. I tried Bucks bar mod and it was not my cup o' tea. It narrows the "V" of your bars and for me, I had less control to the point of feeling very unsafe. So I guess I ruind my bars and wasted some dough. But I had to try it I guess.
I switched to Yamaha ATV bars, which is so perfect. Even better than what I was shooting for. Such a great, great ride now. See photos in my link below if you want to consider that mod.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:42:13 PM »
Sorry. I didn't see this until now. I tried Bucks bar mod and it was not my cup o' tea. It narrows the "V" of your bars and for me, I had less control to the point of feeling very unsafe. So I guess I ruind my bars and wasted some dough. But I had to try it I guess.
I switched to Yamaha ATV bars, which is so perfect. Even better than what I was shooting for. Such a great, great ride now. See photos in my link below if you want to consider that mod.

I was just looking at your pictures.  That looks like a great mod.  Although, I already sent my bars to Buck so I'll be trying his mod out first, but I'm not certain I'll like it for the reasons you mentioned.

Can you give me some info on the longer cables you had to get?  How long, how much, and where did you get em?

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:45:39 PM »
All cables/lines were purchased from http://www.murphskits.com . I had previously purchased new stock-length throttle cables, so I used them. All you have to do is route them to the right under the tank and they do just fine. I can take photos sometime for you. But let me know ahead of time, so I don't have a full tank o'gas.
I bought new brake/clutch lines 4" longer and also the choke 4" longer.
Todd
Eagan, MN
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
Cool, gotta love Murphs.  Exactly what kind of bars are they, did you get them from Murphs as well?

I also just bought new stock throttle cables so that's good to know that they still work.

What about the Throttlemeisters?  I also just bought a set of those and I'm really happy with em.   Are yours made for the C10 or did you have to get another style to work with those bars?

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »
Shoot, it looks like that handlebar adapter isn't available from Murphs anymore.  Wonder what's up with that?

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 07:35:09 PM »
I think you could make the plate. Or have a machine shop make one. And then order the riser clamps. I am not sure where you can get the clamps. Maybe someone knows. My riser plate was made by a connie rider and he told me that he doesn't do those anymore. I got the only one he had. Looks easy to copy though, I would think. I can take more photos if need be.
The bars are from a Grizzly or a Banshee. I ordered them at a Yamaha dealer in town here. I'll see if I can find the part number.
Marker Machine (Throttlemeister) sells an adapter kit for 7/8" bars. And they are not expensive. Pretty easy to install too.

Todd
Eagan, MN

enim57

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 07:31:25 AM »
I made 25mm (1") risers for my 86 and slotted the holes to pull the bars back for a more comfortable wrist position. Standard cables were OK although the single brake line to the splitter on the lower triple clamp was taught and not cable tied to the fork leg. I have since fitted twin s.steel brake lines with the 4 piston caliper upgrade. See photo's:

Regards, Russell

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
Russell, that is the exact same as what Buck does.
Todd
Eagan, MN