Author Topic: Bought another K1600GT  (Read 3073 times)

Offline eng943

Bought another K1600GT
« on: February 16, 2019, 09:51:16 AM »
Loved my previous K16GT, with the exception of it being a bit heavy and hard to maneuver when peddling around.

Now that it comes with reverse, much of that burden is gone. Admittedly, even my C14 could be a real problem backing up on the slightest grade, or peddling, etc.

The ergos are much more roomy, relaxed and more comfortable for me, and the six cylinder engine is still probably one of the most impressive engines I have ever experienced in a bike. 

The updates to the K16GT are very useful and impressive:

Reverse.
Hill start assist
Shift assist Pro
Dynamic ABS

I got a great deal with 0% and 42 month warranty on a leftover 2018.

This bike really is in between a goldwing and a C14 and kind of in it's own category. 

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline eng943

Re: Bought another K1600GT
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
Couple more pics. The color is Mars Red Metallic, and really changes tone in varying light conditions. 
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 10:21:30 AM »
Man, that is cool! Looking forward to a ride report, and if there's noticeable differences between it and your last one.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »
Congrats on the new bike! Looks nice, and I wish you much luck with it.
 I often thought that if I went that route that I'd get the GTL, so you're good
with just the side cases for trips or will you supplement with a bag on the pillion?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious about something that maybe you can answer. I'm assuming here that you have probably frequented some BMW forums 1600 sections
between the previous one you owned and during any research for the new one. It seems to me that (at least with the bags off) that the mufflers
on the 1600 are at least as bulbous as the C14 muffler is and there are 2 of them!....so do many of the BMW folks seem to have the same illogical hatred
for the mufflers ("bazooka"; "monstrosity"; "water heater"; "abomination"; etc) as many of the C14 folks do? 

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
with just the side cases for trips or will you supplement with a bag on the pillion?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious about something that maybe you can answer. I'm assuming here that you have probably frequented some BMW forums 1600 sections
between the previous one you owned and during any research for the new one. It seems to me that (at least with the bags off) that the mufflers
on the 1600 are at least as bulbous as the C14 muffler is and there are 2 of them!....so do many of the BMW folks seem to have the same illogical hatred
for the mufflers ("bazooka"; "monstrosity"; "water heater"; "abomination"; etc) as many of the C14 folks do?

Actually, for rides with the wife, I do plan on buying the top case. However, what I plan to do is look for a used GTL top case that has the nicer backrest for my wife. Or I can add the GTL backrest to a GT case.

On the mufflers, you know I don't really recall seeing any complaining about the looks. I don't mind them at all. I did have a set of Akra's on my last one, and admit they look nicer. I may be tempted down the road to put a set of Remus slip on's onto it. Honestly though, it's kind of a waste of money.       

Offline eng943

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
Man, that is cool! Looking forward to a ride report, and if there's noticeable differences between it and your last one.

So, I did spend an afternoon riding a demo.

Yes, there are some noticeable differences.

My previous K16 had abrupt throttle response, which used to irritate me at times. The new bike has a softer delivery from off to on throttle, which makes it much easier to ride.

Instrumentation and bodywork were revised, and I like the changes.

The gear shift assist pro works amazingly well, and really makes the bike more sporting. It also helps with pillion smoothness. Old bike did not have this.

Reverse is a godsend on any heavy ST bike. That feature is also new

Old bike had some drive line lash at times. Probably made worse by the abrupt throttle. I don't notice this in the new bike.

Overall, it just feels even more refined. This platform has been around mainly unchanged for 7-8 years, and BMW has it dialed in very nicely. The minor gripes I had are now gone.

Dynamic ESA is incredible. Even the worst roads do not upset the suspension. It absorbs bumps very well in Road, and in dynamic it's very eager to have you toss it around.

Just a sublime bike all around. Never feels like it is working hard, torque for days, great comfort, addictive engine note under hard throttle, and great long distance/two up capability.           

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
Congrats on the new bike!  I like the paint!  BMW seems to have finally started adding better colors to the ST line-up. 

Did you purchase an extended warranty with it?  That would be my only concern with a BMW, the expense of anything that goes wrong after the initial factory warranty runs out. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline eng943

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 02:44:14 PM »
Congrats on the new bike!  I like the paint!  BMW seems to have finally started adding better colors to the ST line-up. 

Did you purchase an extended warranty with it?  That would be my only concern with a BMW, the expense of anything that goes wrong after the initial factory warranty runs out.

No, I got a 6 month extension on the 36 month warranty as part of the deal.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 05:26:47 PM »
That is a very good lookin' bike  :thumbs:

Price range?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »

Yay, 2 silver donkey dongs :o

Offline eng943

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 06:54:56 AM »
That is a very good lookin' bike  :thumbs:

Price range?

MSRP was $27,740. (It is loaded)

I was OTD for $24,000 that included shipping.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »
Yay, 2 silver donkey dongs :o

...and so it begins. Let's see if it spreads to the BMW forums.

Offline BMahar

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 10:10:59 AM »
  That's a great deal on a very fine motorcycle !!! Those warranties are very expensive so that's a big plus also.
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:06 AM »
Great looking bike. I want to go test right one, just because... Not interested in buying one, but...

My vote is for "double-barreled potato launcher".    :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline eng943

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
Great looking bike. I want to go test right one, just because... Not interested in buying one, but...

My vote is for "double-barreled potato launcher".    :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Don't bring your check book.