Author Topic: 12V Accessory Outlets  (Read 10987 times)

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
12V Accessory Outlets
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »
Sorry for posting this but I am not the sharpest when it comes to electrical farkles.

I want to add 2 12V accessory outlets to my connie, one on the top left panel (next to the instrument cluster) and one on the left side panel about knee high next to the tank. The top outlet would be set up for powering my GPS and the bottom outlet would be to plug and charge anything in my tank bag like cell phone, ipod, etc.

My questions:

What power outlets should I purchase?
Any advice on wiring and routing electrical cables?
Is there anything I am not taking into consideration?

Thanks! 
09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: 12V Accessory Outlets
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
I mounted a weather-proof (has a rubber cap) cigarette outlet in my left fairing pocket.  It is connected to the original accessory leads (10A?) just below the pocket inside the fairing.  They are "hot" all the time.  I use it to plug my GPS into and just close the door back over the cord.  There is enough flex so it doesn't hurt it.  I also carry a splitter under the seat I got from Walmart that will plug into it if I need two outlats at anytime.  Keep in mind that You should only use this for low amp draws.  If you want to run a compressor, you should probably be pulling straight off the battery.  Don't plug heated gear in here either.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »
Murph has the sockets http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=259 , and I also used the accessory leads under the left fairing pocket, but installed a relay triggered by the left front running light so the socket was only on when the ignition is on. I have a second outlet under the seat that is always "hot", I can charge my phone while riding and it is still in range of my bluetooth helmet communications (Sena SMH-10).
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
If you mount it at the top left of the fairing (or anyplace else for that matter that you have to remove something) be careful you do not hardwire the outlet. In my case the PO hardwired it and I am unable to remove that part of the fairing without redoing the wire. I haven't wanted to do that yet, but soon.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
Anybody here use an Eklipes?  Seems pretty foolproof and flexible as far as location...

http://www.eklipes.com/
'02 C-10

Offline Texanrider

• There's no excuse for what I am about to do...
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
True that Tim!

I like the plugs from Murph cause they have that quick disconnect. I went ahead and bought a couple today. Can's wait to test them out!

09 Boulevard C50
95 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
I mounted a weather-proof (has a rubber cap) cigarette outlet in my left fairing pocket.  It is connected to the original accessory leads (10A?) just below the pocket inside the fairing.  They are "hot" all the time.  I use it to plug my GPS into and just close the door back over the cord.  There is enough flex so it doesn't hurt it.  I also carry a splitter under the seat I got from Walmart that will plug into it if I need two outlats at anytime.  Keep in mind that You should only use this for low amp draws.  If you want to run a compressor, you should probably be pulling straight off the battery.  Don't plug heated gear in here either.

Which leads are the accessory leads? 
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »
There are two sets.  One set is under the seat near the black box mounted on the fender, the other is under the left side inner fairing panel, sort of where the bottom of the fairing pocket would be.  They both have clear connectors on the end and are kind of secured together (at least on my bike).  Mine are female bullet connectors (I think they all are).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline rikguy33

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Can you tell me which color wire is positive & negative and what kind of connectors do you need to "plug in" to the leads?
~Rick~
.... because I can!

94 C-10
84 Honda VF700S (for sale)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »
I used the standard sized (if there is such a thing) bullet connectors.  They will push right in.  I can't open the bike up and look at the moment, but from the wiring diagram in the repair manual, the wire coming from the (+) on the battery is listed as W/R, meaning white with a red stripe.  I believe that black with a yellow stripe is usually the ground wire on the Concours.  Of course use a test light to verify this so you don't burn anything up.

The diagram also shows a W/BL (White with blue stripe) near it in the picture, maybe this is the rear (+) one?

Offline rikguy33

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:06 AM »
Thanks.  I took a look at mine last night and you are right about the colors.  It looks like there are 2 holes for bullet connectors on each wire.  Is that true or does mine have a different type of connector?
.... because I can!

94 C-10

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »
I think mine had that, but I can't remember, I haven't been in there for a while.

Just becareful what you power off of this connection.  Regular chargers for phones and GPS are fine.  Do not run an air compressor from this or you will probably burn up the wires in the harness.  Also, it is "hot" all the time, so don't let it kill your battery.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
you have the correct connector.  Each one has two connections.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »
If you want a very clean look - go with the Power-lets that Murph sells, or buy them direct - either way.  If you want to plucg in a normal auto cigarette lighter - you'll have to go in a diofferen direction.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline rikguy33

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »
RFH87_Connie I'm just using this to charge a cell phone or power the GPS.
Snarf - thanks.  I guess that you could run 2 accessories from these leads.  I'm only using one so I'll plug one bullet connector into the positive and negative leads and let the 2nd hole open.

.... because I can!

94 C-10

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
RFH87_Connie I'm just using this to charge a cell phone or power the GPS.
Snarf - thanks.  I guess that you could run 2 accessories from these leads.  I'm only using one so I'll plug one bullet connector into the positive and negative leads and let the 2nd hole open.

Go back and read the second post from the top if you haven't already.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
http://c10mods.blogspot.com/2011/07/adding-power-outlet-to-dash.html

I am surprised you did not find the links I did when looking into this idea.  So here's my two cents worth on the 12v accessory outlet project, complete with pictures.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline rikguy33

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
I read it and re-read it.  Thanks.
.... because I can!

94 C-10

Offline madcap

• Only slightly nuts
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »
OK - I'm the master of the cheap mod I admit, but found a weatherproof 12v outlet at walmart for $8 or so :)

Has a nice springloaded cap, and mount. Used zipties to mount it to the triple tree right next to the ignition. Worked like a champ, and can't beat the price.

Another alternative if you want to flush mount something in a plastic panel - Harley (don't shoot me) has one for $20 in dealerships that is designed for their touring models. Works like a charm, and a piece of electrical tape easily covers that pesky logo on the cap!

Edit - I have a C14, just noticed this was related to the C10. May still apply though, just need different mounting location I suspect... My apologies
Anything you say, can and will be misquoted and used against you.

2009 CR14 - Red (ish)

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
I used dual stainless steel and plastic cigar lighters with waterproof caps, West Marine $18
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie