Author Topic: Stator Problem? or Precursor to fried Battery ... (aka Plasma Ball Saga)  (Read 31768 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Stator Problem? or Precursor to fried Battery and electrical meltdown
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:57 AM »
Tree, you mention the ABS light staying on....have you ridden in a manner to see if the ABS will actually engage?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
If the speed sensor was damaged by the overvoltage (or black cat) or what ever, perhaps the same applies to the wheel abs sensors, I think I'd test and/or replace those before diving into the ABS ECU. Perhaps the fact that you are getting those codes (5043 etc.)at all indicates proper functioning of the ABS ECU communicating with the ECM?

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
I am looking around for a salvaged speed sensor (PN 21176-0037 I think) vs $110 NIB. 

If the speed sensor was damaged by the overvoltage (or black cat) or what ever, perhaps the same applies to the wheel abs sensors, I think I'd test and/or replace those before diving into the ABS ECU. Perhaps the fact that you are getting those codes (5043 etc.)at all indicates proper functioning of the ABS ECU communicating with the ECM?

Plasma Ball...  One of the ABS codes relates to the front wheel sensor so that will be easy enough to check.  Maybe as easy as swapping front/rear.  I dunno, I haven't looked into that part yet.  I made some assumptions early-on in this process that led me in the wrong direction so I'm gonna be less emotional about it as I proceed.  I didn't remove the fuel tank as I said I would because I wanted to think about it a little more. Your observation about the ABS ECU being capable of communicating a trouble code is valid and makes me think about a Monty Python line...  "I'm not dead!" and "I'm feeling better..."  Per gPink's comment and what you have suggested I feel an actual test of the ABS function is a good idea and can provide more data.

Tree, you mention the ABS light staying on....have you ridden in a manner to see if the ABS will actually engage?

I haven't consciously attempted to engage the ABS yet but I will.  I don't have a speed indication right now so it's kinda freaking me out.  That will be my next test tho.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2018, 02:27:08 PM »
I am looking around for a salvaged speed sensor (PN 21176-0037 I think) vs $110 NIB. 

Plasma Ball...  One of the ABS codes relates to the front wheel sensor so that will be easy enough to check.  Maybe as easy as swapping front/rear.  I dunno, I haven't looked into that part yet.  I made some assumptions early-on in this process that led me in the wrong direction so I'm gonna be less emotional about it as I proceed.  I didn't remove the fuel tank as I said I would because I wanted to think about it a little more. Your observation about the ABS ECU being capable of communicating a trouble code is valid and makes me think about a Monty Python line...  "I'm not dead!" and "I'm feeling better..."  Per gPink's comment and what you have suggested I feel an actual test of the ABS function is a good idea and can provide more data.

I haven't consciously attempted to engage the ABS yet but I will.  I don't have a speed indication right now so it's kinda freaking me out.  That will be my next test tho.

STOP
 before spending more money in kneejerk reaction and such, go read this...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23143.msg289142#msg289142

you should not be having such issues, and all of those components were directly controlled thru the original KP ECU's interface...

re install it, after reading my explanation in the link... it should make sense, especially if you have a FSM and read exactly how the KP and DFI interfaces link... and which really are re-programmable, and need to be linked... vs whatever the tech dude attempted (partially) to link.

good luck, please try this... it won't damage anything....and won't cost anything but a few minutes of time, to get your bike back to normal, possibly, if the folks that repaired your KP ECU didn't hose it up in some other fashion.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
also to add,
the ABS "ECU" is actually a part of the valve assembly, tucked inside the battery box.. it's integral with the valve body.
error codes can be invoked by onboard diagnostics, go to section 12 in the FSM, and starting around page 12-40 on, read the procedure, and the codes, and how to invoke them safely without erasing them.. doesn't require removing the fuel tank...

Offline Tree

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »
I read it and replied.  Let me know what you think.

STOP
 before spending more money in kneejerk reaction and such, go read this...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23143.msg289142#msg289142

you should not be having such issues, and all of those components were directly controlled thru the original KP ECU's interface...

re install it, after reading my explanation in the link... it should make sense, especially if you have a FSM and read exactly how the KP and DFI interfaces link... and which really are re-programmable, and need to be linked... vs whatever the tech dude attempted (partially) to link.

good luck, please try this... it won't damage anything....and won't cost anything but a few minutes of time, to get your bike back to normal, possibly, if the folks that repaired your KP ECU didn't hose it up in some other fashion.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
sorry
i missed some of the stuff you did...
got it now.

Offline Tree

« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »
Installed the new electronic turn signal relay yesterday.  The turn signal and hazard flash function has been restored - LED lights rock!  Load Resistors?  We don't need no stinking Load Resistors!

And, I just got word that the speed sensor just showed up at the house this morning.  I'll replace that after work tonight.  Fingers and eyes crossed!

That just leaves those pesky ABS error codes...  I performed a half-hearted effort at attempting to get the ABS to kick in last night.  I may have been too timid with the break pressure, I didn't notice the ABS pulsing.  I didn't skid either so I cannot conclude if it worked or not.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:32 PM »
I tried several times today to "test" my abs today without success. I think I have been practising threshold braking for so long I can't undo the habit. Once I felt some juddering but I  think it was just the tire squirming. First time for abs so don't know what to expect.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Tree

« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2018, 12:38:45 PM »
I tried several times today to "test" my abs today without success. I think I have been practising threshold braking for so long I can't undo the habit. Once I felt some juddering but I  think it was just the tire squirming. First time for abs so don't know what to expect.

Yep.  I'm pretty sure I felt something "pucker" when I was trying to place the bike into a skid, on purpose.  I'm certain it wasn't anything associated with the machine either.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
 :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
No gravel road around?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »

I don't think I have ever activated the ABS on the Concours... which seems pretty amazing to me.  I have certainly had to break pretty hard before, but never "panic" braking.  I am not sure if the light will appear when it kicks in or just the pulsing or buzzing (like in my car).

I have tripped the traction control several times- that blinks the light- super noticeable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »
Well, one day I got the front tire to bark under hard braking. It was a cold day, I was 2-up and missed a turn and reacted pretty strongly, which turned out to be a bit too much for the temperature. Fortunately, it was just a 'bark', I released the brake and all was well other than the whole event activating my skivvies marking ABS system but that mostly washed out.... My wife did not even notice anything unusual.... well, at least not on during the ride.

Brian

I don't think I have ever activated the ABS on the Concours... which seems pretty amazing to me.  I have certainly had to break pretty hard before, but never "panic" braking.  I am not sure if the light will appear when it kicks in or just the pulsing or buzzing (like in my car).

I have tripped the traction control several times- that blinks the light- super noticeable.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
No gravel road around?
That will do it
 I use the rear brake to test. Under what speed does the ABS not kick in?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Freddy

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2018, 05:28:29 PM »
snip>
That just leaves those pesky ABS error codes...  I performed a half-hearted effort at attempting to get the ABS to kick in last night.  I may have been too timid with the break pressure, I didn't notice the ABS pulsing.  I didn't skid either so I cannot conclude if it worked or not.

Have you cleared the stored fault codes yet so you can start afresh?  Seems not?  If the ABS light is on, the system is not going to function correctly until the cause is identified and rectified.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
Light is on and codes are 42 and 52

Offline Tree

« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
I replaced the speed sensor - no joy.  I am currently scratching my head and muttering aloud about that.  I was convinced that the sensor was the only component in the circuit that could cause those indications (no Speedo, Trip counters not counting, Odometer not counting).  The red light on the cluster isn't lit and there are no error codes.  I am wondering why not since there is an issue with the Speedo circuit.

I moved over to checking the ABS issue after the failed attempt to get the Speedo to work.  I rechecked the ABS fault code(s) and only got 55 (ECU Trouble - ECU operation abnormal).  And it doesn't erase.  The KDS print out from the mechanic had 43, 52, 53, and 55.  The service manual basically says to replace the ABS Hydraulic Unit (page 12-55).

No gravel road around?

When I first read that I kinda thought it was a joke... but it makes perfect sense.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2018, 03:58:53 AM »
Easiest place to check the abs without falling down.  :)

Offline Tree

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
I bumped this posting to get some input on KDS.  I have a KDS ver. 3 "system" now and I am currently confronted with the issue with the driver.  I'm running KDS3 on a laptop with Windows 10 Home edition.  If there is a driver on the installation CD I can't see it and neither can my laptop.  My searches on the interweb haven't helped - I admit that I am challenged and currently frustrated.  Anyone know where I can download a driver?