Author Topic: Rain? Why do you ask?  (Read 2158 times)

Son of Pappy

Rain? Why do you ask?
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
http://www.perfect-shotz.com/?p=photos&eid=201
Some pics from '09, back when she was a young girl ;)

Offline anycleavers

Re: Rain? Why do you ask?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
I can see instructors. So what was that? A ride-in-the-rain class?
"Always take the long way home."

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
Lee Parks Total Control under ideal learning conditions ;)  I actually proscribe to the fact a rider learns more when it's wet out, I was the student on the most awesome (and fastest) C14 ever produced 8)  We only had one spill and it was rider related, started in a tad quicker then he was comfortable with, dumped the throttle, which upsate the suspension, and walla, instant slide, the bike was in slow motion, on it's right side, hooked and over to the left side, only damage was to the factory humps/sliders on the ST.
Only instructor pics are the guy (Bret from PSS) on the FJR.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:32:40 AM »
It's amazing how much lean you can get in the wet... Rob in AZ, who also teaches TC...

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
Holy cow, what are those, stickum tires?

I can see where you would learn fast or risk dumping it. I'm going to have to look that up.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »
Looks like he has a bar of soap instead of knee pucks in there. Ivory? Irish Spring?

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:57:04 AM »
The MotoGP at Indy a couple of years ago was run in the rain.  The wet laps were less than 10 seconds slower than the dry laps.  Of course the tires they use are specially made for it, but still it shows you don't need to be too afraid of wet roads.  I know that the braking and acceleration forces I use in a straight line are stronger than the cornering forces I get from leaning, so I know I can lean more.  Knowing and doing aren't the same thing though.  Do be careful of the painted on rectangles and such at intersections as they become very slippery in the wet.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »
The MotoGP at Indy a couple of years ago was run in the rain.  The wet laps were less than 10 seconds slower than the dry laps.  Of course the tires they use are specially made for it, but still it shows you don't need to be too afraid of wet roads.  I know that the braking and acceleration forces I use in a straight line are stronger than the cornering forces I get from leaning, so I know I can lean more.  Knowing and doing aren't the same thing though.  Do be careful of the painted on rectangles and such at intersections as they become very slippery in the wet.

Not to mention man-hole covers and metal grates.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn