Author Topic: "Clonking sound" when compressing forks after seals replaced - thoughts?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline JRCollings

Good day everyone. I have a 2012 Connie with 50k miles on it (had her since new). I recently had the fork seals replaced at the dealer.. and now I notice that when I 'bounce' the forks down to compress them, there's a 'clunk' coming from somewhere after what I guess is about an inch of travel.. I can feel it when riding too.. but the bike appears to ride ok... I discovered this as I had to reset my preload after collecting the bike as the front was much stiffer than before...... All suggestions / ideas welcomed. Cheers, John.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: "Clonking sound" when compressing forks after seals replaced - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:41:30 PM »
If it is a very metallic, rather sharp noise, it is probably the head stock bearings. They require a lot of attention, or replacement, on the C-14 as they are angular contact bearings with an extremely shallow angle used. Swapping them for tapered roller bearings worked out well for me- much more robust without making the steering any perceptable heavier. The only thing is that with tapered roller bearings, they cannot be torqued to the factory spec.'s or they will be difficult to turn; I believe I torque mine to around 5 to 7 ft. lbs.

Brian

Good day everyone. I have a 2012 Connie with 50k miles on it (had her since new). I recently had the fork seals replaced at the dealer.. and now I notice that when I 'bounce' the forks down to compress them, there's a 'clunk' coming from somewhere after what I guess is about an inch of travel.. I can feel it when riding too.. but the bike appears to ride ok... I discovered this as I had to reset my preload after collecting the bike as the front was much stiffer than before...... All suggestions / ideas welcomed. Cheers, John.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:33:23 PM »
Is everything tight?

Did "they" assemble something wrong?

Offline JRCollings

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
Appreciate the feedback gents.. I think I shall have to take her back down there and show them the issue as something clearly isn't right - this didn't happen before... I'll keep you all posted if / when I learn anything.. in the meantime all suggestions / thoughts / ideas still welcomed.. Cheers, John.