Author Topic: Almost lost a close friend today  (Read 2595 times)

Offline fisheyes

Almost lost a close friend today
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:39:14 AM »
Well I can’t sleep so figured I’d write this up tonight. I Had just left for a ride on what should have been a perfect day for a ride with a close friend and somewhat of a mentor to me in my personal life.  Me on my Concours him on his Goldwing when a car started to make a left hand turn in front of us,  he missed the car but went down hard.  There was a van in front of us stopped in the intersection to make a left hand turn (the road widens before this intersection but does not have a turn lane) we continued by the van on the right, which is when the car coming from the other direction started to make its left turn.

Not sure what the accident report will say but I assume it will be a dual fault accident.  The  car never should have started a turn when she could not see around the van, but technically we shouldn’t have been in the intersection until the van was gone.   What’s  really bothering me is that I keep playing it over and over and think he should have been able to avoid this without much problem. I mean the car definitely startled me but I was nowhere close to losing it. 
And now for the shitty part a broken shoulder blade and collarbone, 6 broken ribs, a couple broken toes, a punctured lung and some nasty road rash .  I actually got him back into riding a couple years ago but could never really get him to wear gear.  He was wearing a helmet,  but otherwise  shorts and a t-shirt.  This was a crash at about 25mph, really making me reconsider my mesh riding gear  for summertime.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: Almost lost a close friend today
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:14:30 AM »
Glad to hear that all will be well, and this story will not get any worse.. What I understand is that your friend, in your playback, might have
overcompensated the event placed in his path, which led to his low/high side. Perhaps he was briefly distracted with something else,
even for a split second, and was startled when he looked up and recognized a vehicle crossing (attempted) his path. Swerved drastically,
and could not recover.. Well, that's my take on it.. He will recover physically, and if he rides again I hope he re-considers ATGATT. You too.

There are several times that it's just too damn hot for the whole get-up.. Jacket, pants, boots, gloves, and topping it off- a helmet. You
are sweating before you get out of the garage.. But, I believe if you consider it too hot to wear the gear, then it's too hot to ride.

Save yourself the agony, ride another day or suck it up and suit up. JMHO

I sure wish instead of his body damage, we heard of how bad your bud's bike was busted up, but he walked away..
But I want to thank you, for stories like this runs through my mind before most rides, and just re-affirms ATGATT to me.

Oh, in the summer months, mesh is king..  8)
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 05:22:43 AM »
sorry to hear about you and your friends accident, I hope he recovers in a speedy time and with minimal long term issues.   This is the reason I ordered a Aerostich two piece, I have however considered the Motoport Kevlar Mesh...How much of a difference do you feel it would have made? 

Offline fisheyes

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:51:35 AM »
Went back by the accident scene and judging by the tire marks, he locked up the rear tire  and eventually tucked the front and lowsided.

I was wearing a full face helmet, mesh jacket, gloves and riding boots, which is my standard attire once the temps break 80* it definitely has me thinking I need some armored mesh pants, my textile overpants are just too hot once it gets above 80. 

If he was wearing gear he definitely could have saved himself some pain, I think he would have avoided the rash, busted toes, and possibly the shoulder injuries.  The bike landed on top of him which is where Im sure the rib fractures came from,  he slid into the curb with his right shoulder  so its tough say if armor would have  dispersed that impact enough to save the bones or not.   Glad I was able to avoid both him and the car and not go down.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:44 AM »
Don't beat yourself up over how your friend chooses to ride or react.

If that Wing is any newer than 1983 then it has a linked brake system so it is tougher to lock up the rear wheel. Up to the 1800 Wings the rear pedal activates one front caliper and the rear caliper. 1800 Wings use a different linked system involving different caliper pistons.

Had ABS on my 1800 Wing and it was a definate plus.

He will live to ride again if he chooses and perhaps a get well gift of a piece of protective equipment would be appropriate.

Offline mtn.connie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »
Never pass on the right side of another vehicle unless it is in a dedicated turn lane! Not only is it illegal, it (clearly) puts you in a vulnerable and often blind spot on the road.

Offline fisheyes

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
yep thats exactly what it was she couldn't see us we couldn't see her and none of the three of us should have been in the intersection untill the van had cleared. 

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »
Your friend actually got lucky. Once you've been down you learn about the value of proper riding gear. Doesn't matter how good you are, how great your reflexes or how many decades you've ridden without nuthin' (the Hardley no-helmet chant), concrete, steel and asphalt tends to be very unforgiving.

I race, therefore I crash. I know what it feels like and know damn well I don't want to experience it without plenty of gear on.

Your buddy, if he continues to ride, just learned that lesson. The hard way.

Offline booger

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 05:05:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend.  I hope he heals quick.

ATGATT might have not lessened his injuries,but it would have been a good place to start.

Thank God he was wearing a helmet.