Author Topic: Which Flash do I want?  (Read 4104 times)

Offline kzz1king

Which Flash do I want?
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »
I figured being I saved some $$$ on doing my own valve adjustment I better get the ole girl flashed. I see Steve has another flash available, The Evolution Flash. 4 more ponies at the top end, not as much throttle brake as the DECEL. Anyone have any reports on it? I think it would fit my style nicely. Can read about it here.
 https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours1400
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Which Flash do I want?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
From all I read on the COG site the evo flash is  the way to go. That would be my choice if I was going that way.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
kzz, there are probably 10 or more discussions about the new Flash on the other Forum.
Go there and browse thru the various reports.

All that have it (including me) think it's great.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
Kzz,
I have the Evo flash, and love it.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline dude412

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:19:12 AM »
Get the evo flash. I had the original...evo is even better!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:31:00 AM »
While it's true that the Evolution flash uncovered some more power and potential for fuel economy, I think the biggest thing it uncovered is the true nature of the c-14. The bike was built with variable valve timing which was a big step in the motorcycling world, but the tuning really didn't allow us to find out how good it could be. In all honesty, this is a fantastic bike and the powerplant is just world class... there's power from idle to redline, and it's smooth, seamless controllable power. A kitten or a lion, depending on how much you twist the throttle. Kawasaki built a fantastic engine and hid it under lousy tuning. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 05:40:22 AM »
Kawasaki built a fantastic engine and hid it under lousy tuning. Steve

In all fairness, they (like all vehicle makers) are restrained by being required to meet emissions, noise, and other regulations.  Could they still have done better?  Certainly.  But I don't believe they could legally sell the bike tuned the way they are with aftermarket flashes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 05:57:12 AM »
In all fairness, they (like all vehicle makers) are restrained by being required to meet emissions, noise, and other regulations.  Could they still have done better?  Certainly.  But I don't believe they could legally sell the bike tuned the way they are with aftermarket flashes.

You know Max, the more I learn, the less I agree with that. The fact is that there are 2 factory tunes, and one is much better than the other (nod to Eco) also, I don't see how the restrained secondary flies were necessary to epa regulations. This ecu is not as capable as some of the denso units kawasaki uses, and I'm of the mind that some of the lousy tuning and restrained secondaries was to overcome other issues with the ecu's capability. Yeah, I got around it, but it didn't come easily. Steve

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
I think you should approach Mama Kaw Steve. They could pay you a wheelbarrow full of money, and sell the Connie set up the proper way right out of the box! :chugbeer:
Then with a foot in the door, we could get them to make the next Connie the way we would like it; with the 1441, cruise control, better stock seat, and 80 pounds lighter!!! lol    :banana
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »
Been reading alot on the other forum. Sounds like the eco is the way to go. Now I just need a cheap work around for this ND winter.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
Been reading alot on the other forum. Sounds like the EVO is the way to go. Now I just need a cheap work around for this ND winter.
Wayne

FIFY. steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 04:55:48 PM »
You know Max, the more I learn, the less I agree with that. The fact is that there are 2 factory tunes, and one is much better than the other (nod to Eco)

Eeew, the factory ECO tune is horrible for power, though... and doesn't do anything to help with the responsiveness.

also, I don't see how the restrained secondary flies were necessary to epa regulations.

The restrained flies had exactly the same feel as my last bike, ZRX, with what they did to the carbs.  The jet kit fixed it.  My friend (the master mechanic) said they do that to all bikes, and it is related to emissions, somehow.  My researched concurs.  Although I know that is not all of the story.  Many speculate the restrictiveness of the flies was also to control noise (and they certainly do) and to mute some of the pull-off power intentionally (probably some stupid attempt at preventing some rider from freaking about how much power there is).

This ecu is not as capable as some of the denso units kawasaki uses, and I'm of the mind that some of the lousy tuning and restrained secondaries was to overcome other issues with the ecu's capability. Yeah, I got around it, but it didn't come easily. Steve

I don't think the Kawasaki engineers are incompetent or incapable, just perhaps constrained by many factors, including trying to err on caution on lots of fronts (in addition to regulations and such).  Regardless of how it got that way (and still remains after 10 years of this model) I am glad people like you worked hard to help unleash what the C14 can really do!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Sharkey55

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
Steve's latest ECU flash is amazing.  It transforms the bike and puts a big smile on my face.  I transitioned to the C14 from an aggressive cruiser (M109R) and missed the raw power around town.  This tune has brought that back.
Worth every penny!