Author Topic: Looking for a project bike.  (Read 8162 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Looking for a project bike.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 03:14:40 PM »
There's a guy with a Mustang that has louder pipes than my Indian.  Leaves home every morning at 630am.  No need to set an alarm.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

gpineau

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »
BTW and off topic... has anyone dealt with making an injected molded part? (another project i got roped into).
I have a prototype part about the size of a bic lighter.  I need to make about a thousand of them.  (cheap)
I don't know where to start.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
can you print them?

gpineau

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
That's how I made the prototypes.

But they take a couple hours and they are not that great of quality. printed parts always have that rough texture. 
I need a thousand of them so printing is not feasible. 

Anyone? send me a PM.

gpineau

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 06:45:25 PM »
I just got back form a long vacation in China.
The trike kit I had my eye on craigslist has been sold. I didn't want to pay $1800 for it and was waiting for a price reduction.  Oh well there will be others.

Meanwhile I am going to annoy some people here and start modifying my Cafe-Racer/bobber ( I don't know what to call it yet) )   to EFI.

8)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »

Meanwhile I am going to annoy some people here and start modifying my Cafe-Racer/bobber ( I don't know what to call it yet) )   to EFI.  8)
Go ahead and annoy away.  ;) ;) :stirpot:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

gpineau

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »
Awfully quiet here lately.
Anything new?

I spent the summer with west Nile virus and vertigo. Felling good enough the last few day do some work on my Rat-Rod.  It has set there all summer leaking oil out the timing cover.  pulled the cover and cleaned off the old gunk and replaced it. The leak stopped.

Got a new battery, changed the oil and filter and started wondering what to do with it? I had started an EFI conversion before I got sick but now it is time to finish it or go back to stock.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 06:52:30 AM »
Hopefully your feeling better..
I haven't been monitoring your progress on the C-10 EFI.
Any progress??

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2019, 08:28:00 PM »
Hey Ted, thanks for the concern and the interest.

They say the some people have zero symptoms from west Nile virus but for me I have been down for a couple of months. I still have vertigo but it is not as bad now. I stood on a chair to change a light bulb and my wife had to stand beside me to steady me so I didn't fall. Never felt like this before but it is getting inch-wise better every day.

I got a package from China today and now my Rat-Rod has a new headlight and turn signals.  It make a big difference in the looks.

Also I got some stock mufflers for it and tossed the cherry-bombs.

Almost forgot I drill through the frame and what is left of the seat and managed to get it firmly attached to the bike.  I know the suspension  has been altered because I can stand on the balls of my feet and hold the bike level. I am not able to do that on my other Connie.

I need to make new harnesses for the lamps, signals and oh, just realized there is no horn or speedo or tach.. Whoever started this butchered the harnesses.

If all goes well and with good luck an weather, I'm thinking  another two weeks work and I may have a running bike.   

The title is from out of state so I need to get all the lamps, and signals, and horn, brakes etc.. working because before the let me tag and title it  I must take it to the Sheriffs  office for an inspection and VIN verification.

Offline works4me

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »
Why is there a buckle on the air box?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 08:17:18 AM »
Looks like it's starting to come together.
Like the nekkid look and the bars/headlight/blinkers...

Tried to see what is lowered in the rear and can't see.
 Assuming it has a lowering rocker?

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
Wasted a whole day trying to trace the wiring for the turn signals and the horn.  When the key is on one side of the horn goes to +12v. When I push the horn button I get a single squeak and then nothing. I think the ground is loose or dirty. I can see the negative side of the horn go low but it does not go all the way to ground.  And if i measure continuity between the horn button and ground I get a couple ohms. Not ground like I expect it to be.  Still don't know where the ground for the horn comes from.

gpineau

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »
Discovered why nothing electrical is working.
I removed some electrical tape on a harness buried in the front end. Found 10 wires cut off.
 God what was he thinking. I guess he never intended to put lights of any kind on the front.

Dont know if it worth patching this all back together or just make a new harness to suit my lights.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »
probably better off buying a used harnass.  I hate electrical!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »
Prolly easiest to get a harness, if you can find one for that year/period.
I think this is an 87? If so, their wired a bit different than later years.
I think 86-90 would be ok.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
Its a 1986 model. It has this weird black box thingy called reserve lighting device. the is in the middle of the headlight wiring. I think most of the cut wires were going to the dashboard which no longer exists.  I think he just clipped off the connector that goes to the dash.... If I buy the dashboard with harness I may be able to splice this back together.

Also missing or hidden is the turn signal flasher relay. I can find it anywhere. Anyone can  tell me where is usually located?

I have the horns working now. That was a bad ground but I still cant get the headlights or turn signals to work.

Just order a complete main harness off ebay. Also ordered a dashboard while I was at it.  hope it all fits.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:23:02 AM by gpineau »

gpineau

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 05:52:34 PM »
Old harness removed and new harness installed.
I got a a 1999 dash and an 86 harness so I will need to swap a few wires around going into the dash.

MAIN PURPOSE FOR THIS POST.....where does the turn signal flasher plug in? there is no socket for it on the harness so I am thinking it must be a separate small harness connected to the front lights. But the whole front end of this bike was missing so I really don't know for sure. The schematics show a plug for it but I cant find it?

Anyone?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2019, 01:55:49 AM »
The turn signal relay connects to a sub-harness that does the headlight, front turn signals, turn signal relay, etc.

I've attached a better quality wiring diagram which is useful if ya don't have it already.
Have also attached Guy's "simplified" wiring diagram as that it also useful. :-)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

gpineau

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
Thanks a bunch. I figured it had be be something like that because the harness I had did not have any connectors that would fit the flasher, headlight and clock...etc

Found one on ebay last night and it is on its way now.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2019, 03:43:55 PM »
The turn signal relay connects to a sub-harness that does the headlight, front turn signals, turn signal relay, etc.

I've attached a better quality wiring diagram which is useful if ya don't have it already.
Have also attached Guy's "simplified" wiring diagram as that it also useful. :-)

Boomer, what model is the schematic you attached? Euro post '94 ?
it isn't a USA model, as seen by the "city Light", the headlight switch that allows light to be turned off, and the "passing light switch"...

Not sure how much that is gonna help him, there appears to be a few differences, especially with the headlight system on a USA version "  PRE -'94 " bike...

also I think Guy's simplified schema, is post '94 also...

He installed an '86 wire harness, which will not directly mate up with a '99 gauge cluster either...(not to mention the '99 cluster won't mount in an '86 fairing)
The addition of the "emergency headlight system" on pre '94 models adds even more issues when trying to "counteract/remove' that particular device. (i.e. it can't be taken out of the circuit without compensation.)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..