Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 11198 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »

Totally agree Jim... some level of common sense regarding safety should of course now be exercised, but it's all out of hand, I too saw a cyclist this morning on our country road wearing a mask ...WTF

It's possible that this runner has severe allergies and uses a mask whenever he/she rides. Unlikely, but possible.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline O.C.

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2020, 08:42:15 AM »
It's possible that this runner has severe allergies and uses a mask whenever he/she rides. Unlikely, but possible.

Yes that is a possibility,   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2020, 09:45:34 AM »
One of the reasons you'll find folks wearing masks while alone in the car or where ever is to remind themselves not to touch their
face since they've left the house, as that is probably the last place they have been able to wash their hands since leaving home.
Last week I could have been frequently seen out and about wearing my mask as I drove alone from place to place completing the weekly
errands.

I'm starting to hate everyone.

Perhaps this would be a good time to take another break?...anyway enjoy your day...but really V'Jim, please do elbow bump and socialize 6-8 feet away
from those Indian riders...anyone of them could be your personal grim reaper ...and then who is going to pick up the sword for us? T Cro?...couple weeks
at most then he'll throw in the towel and let the hosting contract expire...then where are Mr. C and Cholla gonna spar?

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2020, 07:03:24 PM »
Hmmm
IBA #18591

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
Elbow bump? Doesn't that violate social distancing?
And what has your elbow touched?

If I must wear a mask to meet, we won't meet.

If lockdowns work isn't prison the ultimate form of a lockdown?
Why are prisons releasing inmates into the public to prevent them from being exposed? Its the public who has it!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2020, 07:50:08 PM »
Illinois' governor has mandated that we have to wear a mask when entering a retail business or when outdoors and a distance of 6' or greater can't be maintained.

I've only been in three different retail stores since the C19 virus has turned the world upside down, Aldi, Walmart, and Menards. Walmart certainly is NOT my favorite store to shop at but it's the only grocery store in the area, other than Aldi.   

Did Jelly Belly Pritzker make his family wear masks when they went to Florida and Wisconsin?
Or the contractors he sent to his property in WI?
The only store I have been to that required masks was Menard's and that was AFTER things started opening up. Why did they wait until then? I had been there twice the week before the requirement.
Btw I didn't go in.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2020, 10:48:14 PM »
I saw where the MI politicians are on Trump like a dog on a bone for not wearing a taskbar the Ford plant.
I had the news on the box waiting for the weather and they showed a clip of Jelly Belly at a press conference. He appears on stage wearing a mask. He gets to the podium and...removes the mask!
 Haven't heard any complaints from the usual suspects.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2020, 06:03:54 AM »
He appears on stage wearing a mask. He gets to the podium and...removes the mask!

Well, giving a speech with a mask on would muffle the audio, and reduce emotional expression.  But, I assume there was nobody within droplet range of him at that time.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2020, 06:24:29 AM »
One of the reasons you'll find folks wearing masks while alone in the car or where ever is to remind themselves not to touch their
face since they've left the house, as that is probably the last place they have been able to wash their hands since leaving home.
Last week I could have been frequently seen out and about wearing my mask as I drove alone from place to place completing the weekly
errands.

Perhaps this would be a good time to take another break?...anyway enjoy your day...but really V'Jim, please do elbow bump and socialize 6-8 feet away
from those Indian riders...anyone of them could be your personal grim reaper ...and then who is going to pick up the sword for us? T Cro?...couple weeks
at most then he'll throw in the towel and let the hosting contract expire...then where are Mr. C and Cholla gonna spar?

Spar? That's an interesting word for it.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2020, 06:53:26 AM »
Well, giving a speech with a mask on would muffle the audio, and reduce emotional expression.  But, I assume there was nobody within droplet range of him at that time.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2020, 08:34:01 AM »
Elbow bump? Doesn't that violate social distancing?
And what has your elbow touched?

Perhaps, but it's still better than a handshake, and offering your elbow for a bump is less rude than ignoring an extended hand. What your elbow has touched
is somewhat immaterial since you are not likely to touch your face with your elbow.

If I must wear a mask to meet, we won't meet.
I'm OK with that.

If lockdowns work isn't prison the ultimate form of a lockdown?
Why are prisons releasing inmates into the public to prevent them from being exposed? Its the public who has it!
It's not the lockdown that helps, it's isolation. prisoners are anything but isolated from each other air wise. They may be in a cell
but the cells are all packed together. The communal eating and showering areas are also problematic. Besides that prisoners generally are more resistant
to conformity and rules than the general public, that's kind of the reason they are in there. As for the releasing part...well you've got me there....probably the real
reason is that the prisons don't want the expensive medical treatment to come out of their budgets and prefer the prisoners get out and go get sick elsewhere so they don't
have to pay for it. Doubtful they'd admit that though.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »
Hmmm

Doesn't take whole minute.

Masks don't [work] prevent the spread of virus, they improve the odds that virus laden droplets from coughing, sneezing, talking, and breathing will be caught in the fabric of the mask.
If confined long enough and close enough like say indoors in a business mingling in the aisles reading product labels and trying on clothes, a masked infected person could still infect others
also wearing masks. It's only an aid, not a sure thing.

I'm not sure why some think it's their constitutional right to go into someone else's store without a mask if the people that own the store/business require it, don't they have rights as well in their own store/business? Since the 60s I've seen signs in businesses that say "No shirt  no shoes  no service". No social or political outcry about that, but a mask?..."oh my gosh!... public health be damned, I want my constitutional right to not have to smell my own bad breath inside someone else's place of business."  Next they'll want their freedom of speech right to cry "fire" in a crowded theater.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2020, 03:44:03 PM »
Doesn't take whole minute.

Masks don't [work] prevent the spread of virus, they improve the odds that virus laden droplets from coughing, sneezing, talking, and breathing will be caught in the fabric of the mask.
If confined long enough and close enough like say indoors in a business mingling in the aisles reading product labels and trying on clothes, a masked infected person could still infect others
also wearing masks. It's only an aid, not a sure thing.

I'm not sure why some think it's their constitutional right to go into someone else's store without a mask if the people that own the store/business require it, don't they have rights as well in their own store/business? Since the 60s I've seen signs in businesses that say "No shirt  no shoes  no service". No social or political outcry about that, but a mask?..."oh my gosh!... public health be damned, I want my constitutional right to not have to smell my own bad breath inside someone else's place of business."  Next they'll want their freedom of speech right to cry "fire" in a crowded theater.

Miss a dose of meds? Where did all of that come from?

If a business requires a mask you wear the mask or shop elsewhere. I've worn a mask exactly 3 times, all at the same car dealer service dept that services our company vehicles, and each time for less than 5 minutes until I could exit the building and sit on a bench. They require it, that's where my employer wants oil changes done, that's where they go.....but not my $$ being spent. I haven't, and will not, spend a penny where a mask is required if I have other options.

IBA #18591

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »
I'm not sure why some think it's their constitutional right to go into someone else's store without a mask if the people that own the store/business require it, don't they have rights as well in their own store/business? Since the 60s I've seen signs in businesses that say "No shirt  no shoes  no service". No social or political outcry about that, but a mask?..."oh my gosh!... public health be damned, I want my constitutional right to not have to smell my own bad breath inside someone else's place of business."

You are correct, the Constitution has nothing to do with private stores and masks.  Most people are irritated about the governments "ordering" it.  The Federal government has zero standing on it, but States have a pretty good leeway with it, however.  Although the extent is debatable.  Interestingly, the Fed has not overstepped bounds at all during this crisis, not that I have seen.  Some of the States have gone way too far, though.

Next they'll want their freedom of speech right to cry "fire" in a crowded theater.

Actually, you have that freedom.  The controversial and incorrect non-binding decision in which the example was uttered (but not really related to the actual case) was overturned by the Supreme Court something like 50 years ago...

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/its-time-to-stop-using-the-fire-in-a-crowded-theater-quote/264449/

There are some limits, but mostly civil, not criminal, and revolve around slander/liable and copyright.  The few criminal exceptions include speech specifically (and intentionally) directed at a crowd or individual to incite [usually] immediate physical violence.  Just saying something inflammatory, nasty, hateful, or controversial doesn't come even close to the standard.

Freedom of speech/expression/writing/protest is the best-protected of the Bill of Rights.  I only wish the same vigor were applied to ALL of them, most especially the 2nd, 9th, and 10th.  The 9th and 10th are gutted so badly, and so completely ignored, they might as well not even exist.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2020, 08:42:41 PM »
We quickly figured out that there is no such thing as social distancing when you live and work onboard a tugboat with 7 other crew members... Best we can do is limit the contact we have with the outside world and hope for the best...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2020, 12:00:54 AM »

Miss a dose of meds? Where did all of that come from?

Ha! No all meds have been taken, but I appreciate your concern. My first paragraph was in response to the joke or meme or whatever that was.

The second paragraph probably should have been left out, but I had just watched the news where they showed some guy ranting about his rights
as he was carried out of a business that required masks. It seemed in my mind at the time of typing to be related but I see now where it appears to
be an over reaction to the joke/mem/statement you posted. I do stand by what I posted, just not where I posted it. Well I standby most of it...... ???

Actually, you have that freedom.  The controversial and incorrect non-binding decision in which the example was uttered (but not really related to the actual case) was overturned by the Supreme Court something like 50 years ago...

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/11/its-time-to-stop-using-the-fire-in-a-crowded-theater-quote/264449/

Thanks max' I wasn't aware of that.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2020, 06:41:37 AM »
Watching the news and seeing folks crowding the beaches and bars (99.9% w/o masks or social distancing) over the holiday weekend, mostly down south but not exclusively. In a few clips the reporter asks the people if they are worried or concerned about catching the virus or passing it on to someone else.

Many stating that they are not worried and that God will protect them.

Really? What of the nearly 100k people in our country that have died as a result? Or the nearly 350k that have died worldwide? Where they all Godless? Did God turn his back on them for some reason and not protect them? 

Morons, every last one of them. If you're in this mindset, then you too are a moron.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2020, 07:25:57 AM »
The get together went fine.  About 10 bikes or so with roughly 13 people.  Only one person used any sanitizer (I totally forgot) even with it staring me in the face.  No masks were worn.  No one called the law and the septic system held up admirably.  We did have chairs spread out on the lawn to keep some semblance of distance.  I guess we'll know soon if we had any typhoid Mary's in the crowd.

I'm going to call for an appt to get my hair (what's left) cut today.  I'll probably have to wear a mask for that.

On the subject of masks and establishments.  It's like no shirt or shoes, no service.   If that's their policy for people to wear masks and you need to get something there then you wear a mask or just not go in or get it somewhere else.  It's pretty simple to me.  I'm not angry either way.

You won't catch me at any large gatherings like we've seen in the news, at least until a vaccine comes out.  No movie theaters, either.  Definitely avoid Walmart or any big store but that's me.

I did cancel an appt at my Dr. which was on the schedule.  There's nothing physically wrong with me (mental yes) so I don't see the need to rush into that appt.  I'll probably reschedule for August.  If they give me grief about not extending my cholesterol meds then so be it as it seems more and more they don't extend unless you've come in to see them.  I don't see cholesterol medicine as essential to me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »
I got my hair cut yesterday at my favorite salon by my favorite stylist, at home by my wife.

This is the second haircut I've had since :hitfan:. She used our dog clippers on me and they work just fine. I still have most of my hair and it grows fast. Buzzing my entire head with a #3 works great. Besides, even a bad haircut grows out in time.

Bought these a few years ago.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LRN32E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1   

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2020, 10:50:41 AM »
Many stating that they are not worried and that God will protect them.

Really? What of the nearly 100k people in our country that have died as a result? Or the nearly 350k that have died worldwide? Where they all Godless?

Godless sinful blaspheeeemers, everyone of them!!!

(Like V'Jim doesn't have enough sword work to do with a thread about a virus that seems to have gone with all political undertones, so Marty stirs a little religion into the mix.  :stirpot: :hitfan: :stirpot: :hitfan: :1DeadBanana )