Author Topic: A nice weekend trip to the "deer shack"  (Read 4268 times)

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
A nice weekend trip to the "deer shack"
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
My Labor Day weekend plans came together nicely.  My wife, son, daughter & I where going to join the wife's family up at the "Deer Shack".  The car was a bit crowded with 2 adults, 2 dogs, 2 kids, and all our stuff.  I also invited my friend Dave who just helped me re-build my deck as a thank you.  Dave & I decided to ride the bikes... even though he rides a chopped Sportster....

Friday Rochester, MN to NW WI
We had a nice ride up.  Weather was warm, and humid.  Had a little threat of a rain storm, but it passed with nothing.  The wife took the lead in her GMC Terrain... with a lead foot!  Dave & I took our time, had a nice ride, and pulled in just behind the wife because she had 2 stops for diaper changes on the little one. 
The deer shack.

Saturday we took a ride near Superior, WI to see my brother's new house/property.  First time home owner, he found a 40 acre property with a small house needing some work, and a few run down outbuildings for a great price.  From there to the Mouth of the Brule River.

Then back to the "shack" 

Sunday we spent some time with the family.  While Dave was out on the lake my Niece Taverie decided to be a model on Dave's Harley.

I think her parents are going to have trouble with this one! 

We had a threat of rain again, and did see a few drops but that was all.  It was a late arrival back at home, but a nice ride for the weekend.

2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
Re: A nice weekend trip to the "deer shack"
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
I will add the new Aerostich Darrien coat and AD1 pants where great to ride in!  The threat of rain did not bother me at all.  Dave, on the other hand, with no windshield, or front fender...
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
So, the best mileage for the Connie is credited to Harleys? I think that's the mileage the Prius brags about.
Great vacation place!
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
So, the best mileage for the Connie is credited to Harleys? I think that's the mileage the Prius brags about.
Great vacation place!
Not sure if it is credited to the Harley.  More like a nice relaxing 4 hour ride each way, and leisurely ride along Lake Superior. 

I do have to give HD some credit.  Dave's 1200 sportser also pulled a 50 MPG average for the weekend.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline ARS

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:18:52 PM »
Guessing we nearly crossed paths.  I rode up to Bayfield, WI for a night stay with some family on Friday then met up with my bride and son at the sister-in-law's cabin in Hayward for the rest of the weekend.  Nice "shack".

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
ARS Yep.  Nearly crossed.  The "shack" in in Lake Nebagamon, southeast of Superior.  I was in Iron River Sunday with some family.  Nice area to ride!  I'm thinking a group ride next year.... Make it a 2 or 3 day trip to see some of the area.  I'm out of time for this year!  7 days I leave for my a few weeks of elk hunting in Colorado.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline ARS

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
Hoping to make one more trip up there from Princeton, MN when the leaves turn.  It's one area I don't need a GPS . . .I grew up there.  Maybe I can talk my Wife into a trip to Rochester sometime, she's a Roch girl.  Good luck on the hunt!!