Author Topic: Facebook.... I don't get it.  (Read 20376 times)

Offline Gsun

Re: Facebook.... I don't get it.
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 10:41:17 PM »
I don't get it either. But I'm 60 and I don't have to get it. It's not part of my lifestyle. When I retire, I am going to enjoy not carrying my cell phone everywhere I go. Maybe I will anyway - it's entrenched. Tried FB and never had anything to say and got really tired of the drivel coming in all the time. Still have it, but don't look at it much. Under my dogs name, not mine.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 04:59:46 AM »
Heck, I forget my cell phone as often as I remember to carry it.  The kids have learned to call mom as the chances of her having he phone are far greater.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 05:03:21 AM »
My son says that he has his phone and FB accounts linked so that when he takes a pic with his phone it's automatically sent to his FB account.

My wife uses Photobucket to share photos but I can see where Facebook would be better because there could be text around the photos.

And now that I am a member and apparently made three 'friends', I am getting 'friend' requests from people I do not even know now. What the.....?

Not sure yet but I think this is going to be a case of Veni, vidi, domus. You know, I came, I saw, I went home.   ;D

Brian

My son uses Fakebook to post pics of what his boys are up to. I told him that I wouldn't join but to instead e-mail those pics to me. Instead he created a Fakebook profile for me just so that we can see these pics and videos.

It works for that.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:31 AM »
Yet SO many restaurants are offering free Wi-Fi to lure costumers in...

To pull this off topic post off off topic:  Some restaurants you go to for a meal and move on.  Some restaurants you go to as a social event with your family and/or friends.  There is nothing worse than a server bringing out the meal when you haven't even finished the salad yet, or conversely, one who is nowhere to be found when you want the check. 

There is a difference between grabbing a bite and a casual dining experience and sometimes we have to choose the restaurant accordingly.   ;D

snip...

On a side note...but related, I just read something the other day about how a restaurant owner in NYC did his own study on the use of smart phones, etc and how it's hurting his business. Apparently, people are taking 6 minutes longer (on average) to eat and finish their meals in restaurants...playing with their phones and not reading the menu...playing with their phones and not eating....taking pictures of their food, and finally, playing with their phones while they send their food back to be reheated because they were too distracted to eat it while it was hot...lol.

So, add 6 minutes to every customer's visit, and at the end of the day, it's all taking valuable time from other potential customers. I hadn't thought of it until I read it, but it's a bit disturbing imho.

Rem 8)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 12:11:15 PM »
Irony:  A bunch of folks posting random babble on THIS site about how they don't like FB because of all the random babble.  Hahahaha!!  So stay off the site already, right?

I have  small business, and a small business page, and FB works really well for keeping folks updated.  It is good that other folks can comment on the page, *and* that I can monitor the comments.  Fotos, scanned maps, excel results tables, etc. all post very readily and look good on the page, which makes me look smart.

Oh...I meant Amazing irony.

2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
Wow, I had no idea my thoughts on FB would generate this kind of emotion. ?? But hey, whatever gets the post count up is good I guess.

;D

Me, I just didn't care for FB but I am not going to invest  a lot of emotion into it.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
Irony:  A bunch of folks posting random babble on THIS site about how they don't like FB because of all the random babble.  Hahahaha!!  So stay off the site already, right?

I have  small business, and a small business page, and FB works really well for keeping folks updated.  It is good that other folks can comment on the page, *and* that I can monitor the comments.  Fotos, scanned maps, excel results tables, etc. all post very readily and look good on the page, which makes me look smart.

Oh...I meant Amazing irony.

"Like"

8)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
No FB for me either, don't get it, don't need it, don't care. All the people that care and that I care about I see the old fashioned way.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
No FB for me either, don't get it, don't need it, don't care. All the people that care and that I care about I see the old fashioned way.
Sounds like a road trip is in order  ;) 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »
Wow, I had no idea my thoughts on FB would generate this kind of emotion. ?? But hey, whatever gets the post count up is good I guess.

;D

Me, I just didn't care for FB but I am not going to invest  a lot of emotion into it.

Brian

This doesn't affect your post count.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »
Better be careful, he may un friend you ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »
Better be careful, he may un friend you ;)
I thought it was 'deface you'.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
Wait- let me guess..... you drive over to you I-BIL's house and ring the bell, right?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »
How about if I said I LIKE the English, would that change my post count?

:o ;D

Brian

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
Road trip sounds good, always up for meeting new friends face to face.  ;D People I don't care about, I don't see, and I haven't seen that oxygen thief in over 8 years.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »
How about if I said I LIKE the English, would that change my post count?

:o ;D

Brian

Possibly, Brian, possibly.. ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Clark Kent

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:36 PM »
I found it very different from a forum- forums are organized into sections and then threads. Sure the threads drift but still, I can scan the C-14 section(s) for example and not read through any C-10 stuff. But imagine this forum if all the sections and even threads were gone and it was just one stream of.... well, whatever that would be :-)  Chaos at best. That is how I found Facebook is bearing in mind that I spent maybe one hour in there and certainly do not know my way around. But honestly as far as I could tell, there just was not much substance there. As an earlier poster said, it is a great place to say things that perhaps were better left unsaid :-)

And by the way, I am not bashing it in any way- merely saying that I did not find it to be of any interest to me. For those who like it, great!

Brian
sd

Spoken like a man who has never visited the "ARENA"  :chugbeer:
A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it.  "SHANE"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »
I did once or twice in the olden' days before you had to get special dispensation to go there. Nothing wrong with that section IMO, it just does not hold any interest for me.

Back to the FB thingy: I am now getting 3, 4, and more "friend" requests per day from people I do not know. Or at least I do not know I know them (forum names, FB names, real names- I can't tell who is who).

Brian

sd

Spoken like a man who has never visited the "ARENA"  :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:22 PM »
Brian, I still haven't found you.  Will you spell out your name as it is on FB?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 04:34:25 AM »
I did once or twice in the olden' days before you had to get special dispensation to go there. Nothing wrong with that section IMO, it just does not hold any interest for me.

Back to the FB thingy: I am now getting 3, 4, and more "friend" requests per day from people I do not know. Or at least I do not know I know them (forum names, FB names, real names- I can't tell who is who).

Brian

Ohhh, Mr Popularity are we?    ;)