Author Topic: Last issue I hope  (Read 24975 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Last issue I hope
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
After a troublesome season last year which required Steve working his magic on my carbs for the 2nd time, a new tank liner, petcock, fuel filter main and backup, etc... I seem to be done to one last issue. It starts and idles great and will initially take off fine but when you hit the throttle at any speed above say 15 mph it hesitates almost like it bogs down and then it takes off. I do have a valve tick so I will be checking the vale adjustments and I have changed all the fluids, just picked up the new spark plugs have not installed them. I have changed all the fuel and vacuum lines this week and now have this last thing to sort out. Hope to be riding it next weekend but I need to get this sorted before I will take off anywhere with it. Thanks for any ideas that you may have to offer. :hail:

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: Last issue I hope
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »
When Steve worked on your carbs did he install his 2mm jet kit?

If he did, how big of a piece of foam do you have in the airbox?

Have you checked your airbox to be sure there are no cracks in it?  (bottom front edge is most often the weak spot)
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »
turbojoe...you should start responding to these threads for me...perfect! Steve

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Thanks, and I tried it with and without the foam and there was the same issue so I will look for cracks, breaks etc.. to see if there are any issues there. Still, I have put more miles on it this year it test rides then all of last season so I know that I am close.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 05:07:57 AM »
It won't run without the foam, period. There should be a vast difference between foam and no foam. the foam block should be about 1.75" wide, so it blocks that much of the intake.

I have had issue where folks think everything is right, then they realize the snorkel is missing from the airbox. There's so much surface area the foam has almost no effect. You must have the snorkle. The airbox also must be free of cracks, holes, etc and the hole in the top / center front where the pair valve hose goes must be blocked or the pair valve hose inserted. If using the pair valve, be sure it's not leaking internally.

My jetting, when the airbox is right, has very good throttle response with no hesitation. Hesitation tells you you're getting to much air from somewhere. HTH, Steve

Offline JDM

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:27:22 AM »
After a troublesome season last year which required Steve working his magic on my carbs for the 2nd time, a new tank liner, petcock, fuel filter main and backup, etc... I seem to be done to one last issue. It starts and idles great and will initially take off fine but when you hit the throttle at any speed above say 15 mph it hesitates almost like it bogs down and then it takes off. I do have a valve tick so I will be checking the vale adjustments and I have changed all the fluids, just picked up the new spark plugs have not installed them. I have changed all the fuel and vacuum lines this week and now have this last thing to sort out. Hope to be riding it next weekend but I need to get this sorted before I will take off anywhere with it. Thanks for any ideas that you may have to offer. :hail:
IF it were me I would go back and check all the vacuum connections to make sure nothing was missed.
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »
Thanks to all the replies and I will go through everything in regards to vacuum and the air box this weekend. Other then this last issue the bike seems to run great. Even with the response issue it cruises fine but I will get this sorted and with the great advice I hope to be on her by Monday. Thanks again

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »
Started going through the bike today and the first thing that I found was that the cover for the air filter door is missing a section of the foam seal and was quite sloppy fit. I will start be picking up some foam to setup a new seal, set the foam block back into the air filter and check all the fitting again. Maybe????

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 05:40:43 AM »
Started going through the bike today and the first thing that I found was that the cover for the air filter door is missing a section of the foam seal and was quite sloppy fit. I will start be picking up some foam to setup a new seal, set the foam block back into the air filter and check all the fitting again. Maybe????

I used a thin mouse pad and contact cement to redo both of mine.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 06:28:47 AM »
I used a thin mouse pad and contact cement to redo both of mine.

Cool idea!
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
I think that I have just a mouse pad not in use, thanks for the idea

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
actually I show a permanent repair in my airbox repair video... Steve

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »
I just watched the video and it will be on my "must do list"

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »
Did the cover yesterday and boy was it in bad shape. The upper right and lower left corners stick out almost 1/8" from the air box. I put the foam block back in and checked everything else over but will not have a chance to try the bike until tonight. Thanks for all the directions.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 03:36:24 AM »
Hope to have a ride this weekend. Found a bad connector and order a replacement and now I have a simple electrical fix to do. Hope the air issue has been sorted and will be riding again by the end of the weekend.

Offline sgilbert14

Re: Last issue I hope - getting better
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
Almost there. Did a 15 mile ride today and the bike seems to run so much better. The only issue that I had was when I pulled into the drive as it stalled out 3 times when I brought the speed down to a couple of mph. The foam block and the air box door fix seemed to clear up the hesitation issue so now I just have this last thing and then, I hope, we are set for the season... ;D

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »
I'm just guessing but maybe turn the idle up.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 05:48:55 PM »
I'm just guessing but maybe turn the idle up.

Idle should be kept in the 1K to 1100 RPM range....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »
The idle is running just over 1100 and it idled fine after I started it the 3rd time. That's what got me thinking. Another day tomorrow so I will check it after work

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »
Slowly getting better. It still stalled but it is starting to want to run again. I hear a valve ticking so I will have to check the gaps, run a can of sea foam through and new plugs after and ?? But it runs and I am starting to ride  ;D