Author Topic: Help' oil won't come out after removing drain plug  (Read 23688 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Help' oil won't come out after removing drain plug
« on: February 11, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
After more then 5 years of owning this bike and many oil changes i never had this happen befor, after removing the oil filter only about 1oz of oil came out, so i thought ok get ready for the Niagara back splash when i remove the second plug but nothing at all came out.

I looked at the oil sight glass and it was still full, right where i filled it to the last time i changed oil, i change oil Every 3,000 miles and always use Castrol 10w-40.

On all other oil changes the oil could not wait to come out like Niagara Falls soon as the oil filter bolt is pulled. SO whats the hold up and whats the Cure?..
 ??? :-\

i always let the bike warm up and ride it about 5-10 miles befor the change.
bike on center stand level ground.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline DeansZG

Re: Help' oil won't come out after removing drain plug
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »
Do the end of the drain plugs look normal? 
Try poking up the drain hole(s) with a straw or something :o
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
I hesitate to even ask this, so please don't think I think anything but the best and know you've done this before...but......did you remove the correct plug? I almost grabbed the wrong one myself last time because there are several under there... just...asking...if it would be worth double checking?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I hesitate to even ask this, so please don't think I think anything but the best and know you've done this before...but......did you remove the correct plug? I almost grabbed the wrong one myself last time because there are several under there... just...asking...if it would be worth double checking?
Exactly what I was thinking.  Maybe one of the oil line bolts was removed instead of the drain plug?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
  You JUST gotta tell us what the problem is!!! :o :o
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »
After running the engine, does the oil look viscous, or liquid in the site glass?
I'm not liking your chances.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Summit670

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
Can you see air bubble in the sight glass?

Do you have the oem filter canister or the aftermarket spin-on?  The filter should be completely saturated/full either way.

There are two other drain bolts and the one closest to the oil filter should do most of the draining so if removing that one and poking something up there like a straw doesn't net you any oil then maybe there isn't any oil in there.  There, I said it.  Someone had to.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
The oil looks like it always does for 3,000 mile oil, looks ok & pretty much the same on every change, no air bubbles and yes i removed the correct bolts and they looked very good, the crush washer was even good enough to use again for the 3rd time but i will replace that any way on the next change.

I don't have the spin-on' its stock and i use the K&N filters from murph.
I had both plugs and the filter completely out, and only 1oz of oil came out and that was more or less from the soaked filter.

What i really want to know is why this happened, what caused it? and is there anything Seriously wrong with my bike. it runs fine and i ride it about 2-3 times a week every week. its my only transportation.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »
Did you mention whether or not the oil is now gone from the site glass, now that the 1 oz of oil is gone?
If there is no more oil in the bike, and you were running on 1 oz, there is certainly something wrong. you have a major leak. Now did it damage your engine, it might have, it might not have. But it most certainly shortened its life.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
, after removing the oil filter only about 1oz of oil came out, so i thought ok get ready for the Niagara back splash when i remove the second plug but nothing at all came out.

I looked at the oil sight glass and it was still full, right where i filled it to the last time i changed oil,
 ??? :-\

You are correct. No way can there be oil in the sight glass and only 1 oz came out.
You either had no oil in the engine at all  or there is still a lot of oil left in the engine now.
It cant be both.
What is going on??

If your pour just any motor oil in right now. Does the oil in the sight glass go up or does it pour out the drain holes??
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Summit670

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 06:10:06 PM »
Maybe the sight glass is "black" on the inside because maybe running without much oil causes the oil to burn and blacken the glass, hence the glass shows no air bubble.  Tip bike to the right some and have someone look for an air bubble.

With plugs (engine oil drain plugs) out, try adding some oil, as suggested and see what happens.

With the main drain plug out, take a small mirror and flashlight and try to look up in there.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »
Does the "oil pressure" light work?
'02 C-10

Offline Vic Salisbury

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
Just throwing stuff herre, don't know if it will stick   :)

Some kind of "debris" blocking the drain holes (I know, doesn't bode well)

Have you poked something up thru the drain holes? See if oil flows out now?

Done any engine work where you used RTV to seal parts back together. Now possibly excessive RTV is in the bottom of the engine blocking the drains?

Sounds like time to remove the oil pan and see whats what...........
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline vinny

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »
Have you removed the oil filler cap?
I may be a long shot, but could there be a partial vac formed which is preventing the oil from dropping?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »
Just poor some oil into the filler hole.
If it comes out the drain, you know there is nothing blocking it and you ran out of oil.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
Hey guys, are we sure somebody didn't turn the calendar ahead to April first?  Just hope that's the case cuz everything else has dollar signs in front of it.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 01:45:11 PM »
Ok i misunderstood the question about the air bubble,,, I will call it a gap in the sight glass, on every oil change i never fill it to the top, i always leave a gap that way i can see where the oil is, i learned long ago if you over fill with oil just a little bit the glass will be solid black and make you think its empty when its full..

I will explain again, i simply removed both (Correct) oil plugs along with the oil filter as i have a new filter to put back in, not much oil came out so i looked at the sight glass and i still have my little gap, it's still just above half-way in the sight glass, so now i'm scratching my head thinking why isn't the oil coming out like it has in every other oil change.

I had been planning this oil change so the day befor the change i checked the oil and it was just over half way up the sight glass, right where i filled it the last time, its not burning or leaking any oil, in fact i went for an 80 mile ride that day, no problems at all.

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a brand new oil change, the oil that you can see in the site glass should not be black, correct?
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a brand new oil change, the oil that you can see in the site glass should not be black, correct?

CORRECT but you can still see the oil but being fresh oil you can see right threw it and see the shiny stuff behind it until you run the engine.

However the problem is i cant get the old oil out to put fresh oil in.