Author Topic: Bike will not start - lost  (Read 13939 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Bike will not start - lost
« on: October 14, 2013, 03:42:28 AM »
Back again with more issues with the 92'. I have done the following - carbs rebuilt, cleaned again after putting a new liner in the tank, plugs, wires etc.. and now the bike turns over but doesn't want to start. IT doesn't matter if I use the tank or my aux bottle for gas.. it turns aver great but doesn't start nor act like it wants to.. I am lost as to what may be the cause of this... someone mentioned the CDI box but?  Any ideas or directions?

Thanks

Offline Stasch

Re: Bike will not start - lost
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:11 AM »
did the bike fire before you removed the carbs, plug wires etc.?
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:02:17 AM »
  Spark at the plugs?  Plugs wires going to the correct plugs?
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »
A few guesses:

1) gas in the carbs? You can check gas level with a bit of plastic hose on the drain nipple, whilst opening the drain screw a bit.

2) is there spark?

3) plug wires hooked up right? left coil drives cylinders 1 & 4, right coil drives 2 & 3, cylinders numbered from left to right.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »
3) plug wires hooked up right? left coil drives cylinders 1 & 4, right coil drives 2 & 3, cylinders numbered from left to right.

Left Coil to Plugs 1 & 4 with Coil plugged into black and red wires.
Right Coil to Plugs 2 & 3 with Coil plugged into green and red wires.
Be sure that the coils are well grounded via the black with yellow wire.
Battery well charged? A  weak battery may spin the motor but not leave enough voltage to fire the coils.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
Plug and coils are correct, good spark, gas in the bowels but when I pulled the plugs after trying to start they are bone dry like there is no gas getting to them... Thanks for the help

Offline julianop

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
... gas in the bowels...

I hate it when that happens. I'm no expert, but that's probably your problem..
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »
When you cleaned the carbs, did you clean the start jets as well as the pilots and mains? The very small (.025") start jets are critical to good starting, as are the enrichener circuits.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:15:42 AM »
I actually had the dealer do them, should have sent them back to Steve. I have no problem doing it myself if I knew how to set them again.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
I actually had the dealer do them, should have sent them back to Steve. I have no problem doing it myself if I knew how to set them again.

:yikes:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
I only had the dealer even look at them for the hope of having them back the next day for a ride that I wanted to do for the weekend.......  :'( :'( Never made it to the ride and now I still want to send them back to ya Steve.... Season is about over and only rode the bike 4x... I did get a nice new tank liner in it so no more of the brown gas... I have the Plastifix kit for the tab now as well.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »
I guess I am missing something, what tab?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »
I guess I am missing something, what tab?

Broken cowling mount tabs? Very common with past owners who had a case of the drops!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
Oh, I was trying to figure how that related to not starting.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
Do you know how to do the clear tube method of checking fuel levels in the carb bowls? The center carbs would be hard to do on the bike, but the outer two could be checked pretty easily. Don't forget to put the tank on prime, or use an aux bottle. If that looks about right, cool. If the major change is just that the dealer worked on them, I'd guess they might have screwed up the job.

If it ran just before all this, I doubt the black box has gone tango uniform in the mean time.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline julianop

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 12:28:36 AM »
If it ran just before all this, I doubt the black box has gone tango uniform in the mean time.

:rotflmao:
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »
The reason the "box" was brought up was that I had to jump start the bike at work right before all the trouble started..

Offline Summit670

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 01:22:50 PM »
Did bike run well before the work was done?  If you had to jump bike, maybe the spark is weaker now because the battery is iffy and that's not helping the situation.

Do you know how to do the clear tube method?  You can get a rough idea if you're in the ballpark with carbs still on bike - center carbs a just a tad more difficult to reach but I use a long handle needle nose plier to grab near the tube end and push it in place, then route to the outside carb seam to check.

Where are you located - maybe another member is close and can help?

Set what?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
I will check stuff out and hope. Season is about shot and I am think of just giving this year up.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »
Set I mean the jet settings once I pulled them to make sure they are clean. I am think more of back to Steve over the winter to have ready fro spring