Author Topic: Tires  (Read 16844 times)

Offline IraB

Tires
« on: December 24, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

Will be replacing Kawazilla's tires in the spring and am thinking I may just go with the original Dunlops.  They seem like a good tire at a decent price.
My main concerns are dependability, wet weather use, sustained use @ about 80mph and price.  My riding style is usually pretty mellow.

Thoughts?

Offline works4me

Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
Thoughts? Only one. I don't think a tire designed in the
mid '80s should still be considered a "good tire" today.

I went through two sets about a decade ago before I started trying alternatives.

Offline IraB

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »
Thoughts? Only one. I don't think a tire designed in the
mid '80s should still be considered a "good tire" today.

I went through two sets about a decade ago before I started trying alternatives.

If you have been through a couple of sets then you are just the guy I want to hear from.
What newer type would meet my requirements at a reasonable price?

Offline works4me

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
OK, Reader's Digest version:
In the beginning, went with Dunlops. Handled fine but only
lasted about 6000 miles.

In search of longer life tried "Gold Wing sized" belted tires.
Handling was heavier but tread life was outstanding.
Good on the slab but definitely not "sporty".

As recommended, tried BT-45s next. These were surprising
but not in a good way. Resistant to turn-in, vague feedback
and not inspiring. To top it off they were done at 5500 miles
when everyone assured me I'd see over 10K.

Which leads me to my current setup: a radial front ( BT-023 for me,
other's like PR-2s or -3s ) mated to  bias rear ( a Shinko 777 in
my case but there are others ).
This combination has transformed the bike with light, precise
steering, a comfortable ride and long life.
I currently have about 5500 miles on them and could likely
see another 5K out of them. All those miles were
commuting on the slab at 70-75 mph.
To say I'm impressed is an understatement.
I'll definitely try them again, especially the Shinko rear.

HTH

Offline works4me

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
Apologies for the jerky structure,
I typed that on my phone.

I wanted to add: my front tire is a 110/80-18.
Works much better IMO than the 120/70-18.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
Yeehaw! Tire thread.

I got about 12+K out of my $86 Shinko777 in the rear. I'm on my second one of these and have a third one in the shed. This tire, in the stock 150 size is a bit taller than most. You will lose about 200 rpms at 80mph, and the bike will be easier to put up on the center stand.

I've been running Michelin PR3 up front, not as frugal, but does everything very well all the way to the end at 11-13K. Also in the 110/80 size on my '99. This size works better with our rim size.

This combination holds a corners, rides nice, and stops well. The PR3 particularly is legendary in it's wet and dry grip. Modern tires are much safer in this category than those old Doneflops.

I have a Pirelli Angel GT in the shed going on the front next time around, also in the 110/80x18 size. I've heard good things about it.

Those stock Dunlop tires are noted for squirrelly handling, particularly bad on rain grooves and other irregularities running parallel to tire while riding.

YMMV, my .02.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »

Will be replacing Kawazilla's tires in the spring and am thinking I may just go with the original Dunlops.  They seem like a good tire at a decent price.
My main concerns are dependability, wet weather use, sustained use @ about 80mph and price.  My riding style is usually pretty mellow.

Thoughts?

Take a look at the Avon AM-26 Roadriders. They are available is the stock sizes as well as many other sizes. They are bias ply V rated and they handle great. If you doubt their handling capabilities, ask Daytona Mike. he followed me thru some of the best twisties that Arkansas had to offer at the 2012 National and they stuck like glue. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline IraB

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 11:46:19 PM »
Appreciate all the replies to what must surely be "yet another tire thread."

Got me looking around and the Shinkos seem like a heck of a bang for the buck kind of tire.
Anyone here use them on the front too?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »
Appreciate all the replies to what must surely be "yet another tire thread."

Got me looking around and the Shinkos seem like a heck of a bang for the buck kind of tire.
Anyone here use them on the front too?

I know Doug Re does, I just don't know which one. Oh, and if it's good enough for Doug Re, it's good enough for me. Doug does have a well earned rep for riding a bit, shall we say, aggressively.

I do like the PR3 on the front, though. Dennis Kirk has historically had the best price on that particular tire.

HTH.
America's Seaplane City
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
One quick note.

For those of us that spend a lot of time at speed on the freeway, the 'Wing' sized tires also help with stability/buffeting around big rigs.  The extra weight of the tires has a 'gyroscopic' effect that helps keep the bike more stable.

Of course, I went directly from the Dunflops to Pilot GTs (now discontinued).  That being said, my Venom rear has been a suitable (but not quite as good) replacement for the GT Rear.

Going with the 'Wing' size on the front helps correct the speedo error.  Most Connie speedos are about 3-4% off, and the 130/70R18 is about 3-4% larger, so this puts the speedo almost dead on in this case.  The larger rear (160/80R16), as noted above, drops your rev's slightly (again, about 3% or so), which helps reduce the speed threshold where the dreaded handlebar buzz gets really noticable.  But that's another story.  Plus, I like the higher mileage these tires offer (don't need to change out the tires as often).  Oh, and the 'getting bike on center stand' easier thing too!

I'm very happy with wing size.  But then I'm looking for touring characteristics more than sporty characteristics.  We all want grip though.  It sounds like you are looking for a 'touring' tire, not a 'canyon chasing' tire, so I hope this helps.

The PR3 suggestion on the front intrigues me, but only if they come in 'Wing' Size.  Otherwise, I'll probably be trying the Avon Venom on my front next (depending on availability at that point), and will let you know how the matched pair performs in the coming months (I still have a GT on the front, the last one lasted 19,000 Miles).

BTW, I've heard horror stories here about the Metzeler's (880's?).  They are a high mileage tire, but their gripping/rain performance has been reported as subpar by several forum members.

FINALLY, and I've said this before in other threads, the Dunlops are not a well performing tire, and are holding your bike back.  It is amazing how putting almost ANY other recommended tire will change how much better the Connie performs on the road.  There are other bad choices out there, certainly, but pretty much ANY tire recommended in this thread will likely give you a better bike in the end.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:29:14 PM by Two Skies »
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline jttf

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 01:15:15 AM »
I don't think you can fit a 180/60/16 on a c-10 rear wheel did you mean a 160/80/16 ?

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
Two Skies,
   I was running the GT's as well for the past 4 years and did like the stability. The only draw back was the heavy feel (which wasn't as bad as stated). The Avon AM-26's that I am running now are still bias ply but they handle much better than the GT's did but they don't have the heavy steer feeling. I really wish they would have continued the GT but so far these are a good replacement. And the price is right also. I got the set from motorcycle superstore last year for about $240.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
>>>SNIP<<<Got me looking around and the Shinkos seem like a heck of a bang for the buck kind of tire.  Anyone here use them on the front too?

IraB,
 when I had my C10, I ran thru a couple of Shinko 011 Verge on the front using the 120/70 size & would still be using those , as they performed great in ALL conditions!  They also returned 15-16k by the time they were down to the wear bars, mostly on the Michigan & Ohio tarmac.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
I don't think you can fit a 180/60/16 on a c-10 rear wheel did you mean a 160/80/16 ?

Yeah, I get those numbers jumbled occasionally.  160/80R16 is what I meant to put.  Editing other post now.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 09:41:14 PM »
I was really impressed how the Shinko 011 Verge tires behaved in the rain...and, I got 12k miles on a set!
'02 C-10

Offline IraB

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
The Shinko tires sound like a great tire for a great price and it seems like 2/3 of my riding is on wet roads.  I have noticed a little shimmy riding along road seems when wet on the Dunlops.  Also have to be a bit careful downshifting to avoid rear tire slippage.

One consideration is that I want to stick with the stock size.  This bike is on the verge of being to tall for me and a taller rear tire would be unhelpful.  Also, in spite of all the hoopla about it, I really don't find getting the bike onto the center stand all that difficult.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 06:47:12 PM »
The Shinko tires sound like a great tire for a great price and it seems like 2/3 of my riding is on wet roads.  I have noticed a little shimmy riding along road seems when wet on the Dunlops.  Also have to be a bit careful downshifting to avoid rear tire slippage.

One consideration is that I want to stick with the stock size.  This bike is on the verge of being to tall for me and a taller rear tire would be unhelpful.  Also, in spite of all the hoopla about it, I really don't find getting the bike onto the center stand all that difficult.

I have a 30" inseam if that helps with your decision any.  With the boots I gain about 1.5" with the heels.  Bike is very managable with my legs, as long as I'm not on an incline (Lesson learned: never try to turn a Connie around on a slope with my short legs!).

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »

If 2/3rds of my riding was on wet roads, I would go with a Michelin PR3 or Pirelli Angel GT up front, in the 110x80 size and the Avon Azoro(I know that is not speeled wright) on the back, and I really don't like Avon Tires. You really need to consider focusing on the safety aspect. Wet roads are slippery, you need all the grip you can get. An extra $100 in the bank ain't a gonna help you iffn' yer dead.

Note: If you do some sniffing around on tire manufacture's sites, you will find that the 110 front is a better fitment for the wheel. The stock Dunflop front in the 120 size actually measures out closer to a 130. A 130 can fit the rim, but the 110 fits better, and handles better, without being squeezed.
America's Seaplane City

Offline IraB

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »

Decided to go with the Avon AM26 150/80V-16 for the rear and Michelin Road Pilot 3 in 120/70ZR-18 for the front.

Just placed the order so please don't tell me I made a big mistake.  :D

Offline IraB

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »

Tires showed up yesterday.   
Changed thousands of bicycle tires but have never put new treads on a motorcycle.  Pulling the wheels looks straightforward enough and presents a good opportunity to do some other maintenance, replacing brake shoes ect.  Anything in particular I need to watch out for removing/replacing the tires on the rims?