Author Topic: Taking by bike in for full service tomorrow  (Read 14859 times)

Offline Engraverwilliam

Re: Taking by bike in for full service tomorrow
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »
Thanks for that!
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »
Don't thank gPink. :o :o He just spent some more of your money. But, it will be money well spent.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 04:33:46 AM »
I prefer the term...'enabler'.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 04:40:33 AM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:33 AM »
Ok so I read the website above. With the tubes on the bottom of the carbs, isn't that the same as just attaching a tube to the little nipple and draining the float bowls periodically but cracking open the Allan screw? I mean this method DOES make it look a bit easier. With these tubes attached, do you you leave it as an open system? Or are those brass tubes not normally inside the bowls? As I said before I love riding but fixing isn't my strongest point.
William Evans

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »
The tubes are overflow tubes. They do not come on these carbs. If your petcock develops a leak it can back into the cylinders and when you try to start it  you can create some serious damage to the engine. With these tubes in, instead of overflowing into the cylinders it goes out the tubes thereby saving your engine.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 05:07:50 AM »
The overflow tubes in the carbs are nothing new.  They used to be installed in practically all motorcycle carbs (at least all the ones I've seen).  Yes, installing them does make it a "more open air system".  But, your bowls are already vented to either a charcoal canister or the atmosphere depending on whether or not it's a California bike.  They are not for periodic draining and you would hope they are never needed.  But, as Tim said, if your vacuum actuated petcock does fail along with a float bowl needle failure they will prevent the fuel level from getting high enough in the carb bowls that it drains into the cylinders.  Recommend you do a search on "Hydrolock" and decide if they are worth the expense.

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2015, 08:45:06 AM »
Got a call yesterday that they found a small leak in the coolant  reservoir. They gave it a temp fix for me and ordered a new one (per my request $50) I will be taking it back next Sat for the replacement. So far it is only 8 am they do not open until 9am hehe. I will update this post once I get her home and let you know the differences I feel in riding her post Shop.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 03:00:13 PM by Engraverwilliam »
William Evans

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2015, 09:14:19 AM »
The small leak was probably caused by too long of screws being installed in the lower fairing.
Be sure to tell them to use ONLY the correct length screws. in the bottom holes

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
The small leak was probably caused by too long of screws being installed in the lower fairing.
Be sure to tell them to use ONLY the correct length screws. in the bottom holes

Ride safe, Ted

It's pretty easy when you are removing the fairing screws to get these mixed up.  Not all of them are the same length.  I have a flat box I use with a bunch of holes punched in one side, in a 'matching pattern' to where the bolts come off of the fairing, which I insert the screws in as I remove them, to help me make sure that I  put the screws back in the same hole I removed them from.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »
where are these little screws? front edge parallel to the ground of perpendicular to the ground?

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »
Got to Hudson. Walked over to where my bike was after paying for my service. Stuck the key in and touched the starter. She sounds like a brand new bike! No more gas smell or hesitation on the throttle. My wife even walked over and said 'Wow she sounds a lot better!" The ride home confirmed that the work was top notch. I used to be vibrated to hell untill sixth gear now all is smooth as silk. with only the "normal" buz of the connie. My wife even bought me a gremlin bell!

William Evans

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
Congrats. Bike nice too.

Now what all did you get done?

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
William Evans

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 08:40:37 PM »
looks like a thorough check.

was most of the bike within specs or did you have to do lots of work?

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 12:35:13 AM »
Reservoir needed fixing where the hose connects. They said everything else was fine and just re-specked as it was all put back together. Valves and carbs adjusted accordingly. Looks like they might have ultrasounded the carbs they are shiny again and as I said before, the thing really purrs now,.
William Evans

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
where are these little screws? front edge parallel to the ground of perpendicular to the ground?

Perpendicular to the ground.  The offending screws that can harm the coolant reservoir are the two that go up from the bottom of the belly pan, into the steel cross-brace that supports the reservoir.  If you put in ones that are too long, they will extend through the nutplates and wear through the bottom of the reservoir.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »
So what was the final bill? $128.66 was just parts, correct? The last service I had done at a dealership, they charged me $400 and lied about changing the plugs. Sure sounds like you have a good dealership. They do exist, if rare.
That being said, pretty sure they didn't "Clean, Adjust and lube drive chain"...

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
Yeah parts. They are not a dealership. Thast is to say, ... they do have a few bikes for sale but they are repair, performance and gear focused. The showroom including bikes is rather small compared to the massive workshop in the back. BTW I was smart, I put a sharpie mark on my plugs and battery and a liquid paper dot on my valve gasket per a suggestion I saw on another site once. Plugs are new gasket was changed battery is still my original. Just a small and easy thing to do to track the honesty of a repair shop.
William Evans

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 11:32:25 PM »
Don't think mechanics are stupid. I used to see that crap then change the parts and put the marks back on the new parts. I had NO problem pulling the new plugs or whatever out to show the jerk that owned the vehicle that the parts had in fact been changed when they complained. If you have such a distrust for an establishment, do the work yourself. 

Just my .02
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....