Author Topic: Taller Rifle or Cee Bailey? Opinions based on experience wanted  (Read 15244 times)

Offline Mettler1

Re: Taller Rifle or Cee Bailey? Opinions based on experience wanted
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
I kinda like the idea. How long have you had it in place? Any vibration (or flying GPS :o) problems?

Has been mounted for a year and 5000 miles. On occasion I have to adjust if I don't get the crank tightened down enough.    Easy to see the screen but like I said if you don't get a water proof gps you NEED to cover it with a clear plastic bag. I'm happy with it and with the Ram ball mount you can use it for other items.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
I'm 5'10" have a 25" C-Bailey and  removed it to put a stocker back on. The Bailey has an equalized air pressure since it has a vent, which the stocker has a suction towards the front. The 25" was too tall for me but I didn't want to cut it, so I was sitting really up right to see over it. The good part was the protection, the bad part was I felt like I was in a car. I'm not sure about the buffering however since it was too tall.
I like the stock one because I see way more. I rarely close my face-shield and don't seem to have any buffering, but I would need to vent it.

I'm thinking cutting the Bailey but i'll lose some of the flair at the top. does it matter.....?

My 2 cents.

UPDATE
Ok so I got motivated th eother night and taped er up and dragged it thru the band saw. I cut about 2.5" off the top winch was about 2" taller than stock.
Result, it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should have left it alone, kept it tall for fall/"winter" and the stocker for warmer.

One thing I really noticed the stocker needs is a vent. Rode home in the rain the other night (40F...chilliwilly) and with the stocker the rain was sucked forward onto my body, arms and hands. Not so with the Bailey.

So now I'm wondering if it's because the top lip is gone and that was deflecting all the wind up and over. The noise level is now crazy too I messed up.......  :banghead:

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 05:25:28 AM »
UPDATE
Ok so I got motivated th eother night and taped er up and dragged it thru the band saw. I cut about 2.5" off the top winch was about 2" taller than stock.
Result, it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So now I'm wondering if it's because the top lip is gone and that was deflecting all the wind up and over. The noise level is now crazy too I messed up.......  :banghead:

This is how we learn; from our OWN mistakes as you can't know what your going to like by our preferances or results..... I'm running a vented 25.5" CB also and when I first put it on over a Rifle I thought it was going to be too tall for my likings and contacted CB to which they offered to cut and "reflair" the shield (for free) as without it they said it would not preform as intended. But I grew to like the height as I'm about 6'2" and could easily look over & under as desired; and after trying out several seats each of which changed my seating height I'm glad that I held off on cutting it. Then a while back I ordered the shortest vented CB I could get for summer use to which I was informed that it would have no flair and while it looks great and flows lots of air over my torso it is down right noisy and requires me to close my shield to control noise which is something I never rarely do with the tall shield; even in the cold weather.

So now you know that your going to want a shield that is 1" to no more than 2" shorter with both the flair and the vent....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »

Has been mounted for a year and 5000 miles. On occasion I have to adjust if I don't get the crank tightened down enough.    Easy to see the screen but like I said if you don't get a water proof gps you NEED to cover it with a clear plastic bag. I'm happy with it and with the Ram ball mount you can use it for other items.

Thanks for the pics. That helps a lot. Do recall if that shelf has a metal core? When you drilled into it did you get any metal shavings or just plastic?
Thanks again.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
  Don't recall any metal inside. If I did drill the holes it wasn't very deep!! I could have used a scratch awl to punch starter holes. Anyway I was very careful not ot go all the way through. I'm pretty sure I had to remove the windshield to get the base on. Worked very well going to the Green Mountain Rally. About a 2400 mile round trip and it is solid after a total of about 5000 miles.

I hard wired it through the vent at the base of the windshield and connected an accessory wire under the left side of the dash. It has a Cig lighter plug (female) velcroed to the dash behind the gps. Got a charging plug for a gps that plugs into the lighter. I use a velcro strip to keep from vibrating out of the plug. You can see part of it in the 3rd pic. Hope this helps.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
contacted CB to which they offered to cut and "reflair" the shield (for free) as without it they said it would not preform as intended.

I missed the memo! SInce it's to late to send, i'm wondering if I could home flare it..... I have a set of torches......... :shoot:

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
I made my own replacement, it's taller then the original.  Bought a 24"x24" sheet of polycarbonate from McMaster Carr.  Cost about $22, cut it with my jigsaw.  Works great, only thing is rain doesn't repel off of it.   
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
Now I'm thinking about a summer shield. How think is that 2X2' piece?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »
Now I'm thinking about a summer shield. How think is that 2X2' piece?
Don't use any thicker than 1/8" or .125" as any thicker and you can't bend it to fit without heat forming.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Connie Mark

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »
As we are talking windshields (I need one!), has anyone tried this manufacturer?

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=42

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
As we are talking windshields (I need one!), has anyone tried this manufacturer?

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=42

Sounds like they are right up the road from you...I had a short (18-19") Clearview without vent on my bike when I bought it...good quality, solid shield...just too short for me...then went to a 23" Cee Bailey with a NACA Duct...what an improvement!  No more buffeting...only thing I didn't care for was the visual distortion at the bends...now I have a Rifle (23" also) and am quite happy with the clear visuals...although, I will admit...I do feel a bit of a breeze on the back of my neck when I am riding solo...not bad...but, I can feel it...my verdict:  I prefer the Rifle.  For the record...I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and made all these observations while riding with a corbin seat on my '88...
hth...
'02 C-10

Offline Connie Mark

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »
Yeah, right up the road near Pine I believe. It would be nice to ride up and try a few different configs to get the best solution.

I am around six foot tall, but have very short legs for my height, hence a tall body. What appeals about the Rifle system is that home made Lexan screens can be tried more easily. The Clearview looks pretty expensive as well if you add the vents.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
Yeah, right up the road near Pine I believe. It would be nice to ride up and try a few different configs to get the best solution.

I am around six foot tall, but have very short legs for my height, hence a tall body. What appeals about the Rifle system is that home made Lexan screens can be tried more easily. The Clearview looks pretty expensive as well if you add the vents.

yep...it seems to add up quickly!  Do they still have the "blems" listed on their site?
'02 C-10

Offline Connie Mark

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
What looks good with the Rifle is that you can add to your shield collection for just another $80. A modular approach.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 05:04:03 AM »
When you measure the Rifle system, don't include the height of the base in the length. That makes it different from the Cee Bailey which I think measures the entire distance. I've got the tallest Rifle and it's 19".

I saw somewhere that the way to measure is to sit on your seat in a normal riding position. Have someone lay a straight edge (yard stick works well) up the front of the windshield. Draw a line or string parallel to the ground from the top edge to your nose (right under your eyes) to the yard stick. Read the yard stick from the intersection of the parallel line to the top of the BASE (not the bottom of the base). That's the length shield you need. I'm pretty sure mine is 19". I'm 6'4" and it worked for me.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »
Ron, I imagine you lay the yardstick flush onto the windshield. Is that correct? In other word, inclined, with the shield.
I have a Rifle, and I am in the market for a new shield.

Incidentally, is the Rifle designed to work best (for minimal wind, noise) at the top edge of your nose?

Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 04:45:44 PM »
Yes, lay the yard stick flat. Have the lower end at the lower edge of the windshield if it's a Rifle so you don't measure the base as part of the overall height. If it is not a Rifle on there already, you measure from the top edge of the front fairing where the windshield or the Rifle base seats. The Rifle base on my 2000 is 5 1/2". The base plus the 19" shield that I just put on is 24 1/2 " combined. Rifle says windshield height should be somewhere between your Adam's apple and your eyes. I like it at my nose so I can duck behind the edge or see comfortably over the top of it. Just my preference.

www.Rifle.com selection guide:   http://rifle.com/Windshield-Selection-Guide.aspx

You can get a custom size for $35 more. Hope this helps.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
The Clearview looks pretty expensive as well if you add the vents.
But nevertheless, do get the vent. It works that well. I'm fixin' to put that GW vent on my CBailey, I'm growing tired of messing with pipe insulating foam to plug the hole.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Stasch

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
Once you measure and are ready to order, keep in mind that the different windshield brands do not correspond with WS heights.  IE:  A 26.5" Cee Bailey is over 1.5" SHORTER than a 24" Rifle (total base plus WS height) due to the angle of the shield.

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Tele130

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »
I have the 24.5" Cee Baliey with the vent.  Absolutly love it!..................in cold to cooler weather.

In the summer I took a stock shield and cut it down to 13".

I just cut down a second stocker to 15".  It's in paint right now.  Yes, you can't see through a painted shield.  But I don't need to.  The whole point is to get "AIR FLOW" in the summer. The new 15"er will be my summer touring shield.  Besides, I'm 6'2" and don't even look through my 24.5" Cee Bailey ;D.  I have to be really carful in the summer heat,  Plenty of air movement and gallons of water are my ticket.  Wind noise?  I came off a ZRX with a tiny "Bikini fairing" up front.  I can tell you a thing or two about wind noise at a buck-30 :rotflmao:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!