Author Topic: Connie ate 4th gear. What's that going to cost me.  (Read 9310 times)

Offline brownja

Re: Connie ate 4th gear. What's that going to cost me.
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »
Update: 4th gear doesn't move the bike at all. The best way to describe the sound is like a battery drill clutch engaging. Other gears worked fine. Shifter felt fine.

Drained the oil and filtered through a paper towel. There is a very small amount of metallic grit. Barely visible. I could feel it rubbing the oil between my fingers but could only see one two actual specks.

I'm torn about how to proceed. My mechanical skills are modest, at best. I think dealer prices for parts and labor would be exorbitant.
I don't think I'd get much selling it as a parts bike. My best bet might be to find someone competent in the area (like Sherman/SDwarf) and see if he wants a nice winter project.

Thanks to all for your input.
For those that have offered parts. Thank you too. I may take you up it, but do not want to impose on your generosity just yet. At least  not until I know how I am going to proceed.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
Sherman would be a great choice if he wanted to take this on. Good luck with it - steve

voileauciel

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
I agree with those in the replace the whole motor camp. Reason for this is that if there are any metal bits in there, even with a full teardown, you run the risk of eventually having something work loose and ruining yet another gearbox. Where are you located? If you're on the East Coast, I'd be happy to help you do the motor swap or any other work that's needed.

Offline brownja

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
Sending an email to Sherman now. If he's interested in a winter project, then that's a no-brainer.

If not, the engine has to come out one way or another. With the help of the Clymer's manual, I can probably get the engine out.
Getting it fixed, or swapping a new one in may be another matter, but it will be a while before the project gets to that point.

Thanks again for all your input.

P.S. Props to my wife. She green-lighted spending the time/money to get it fixed. Her words were something to the affect of "you won't get much selling it for parts and you'll be miserable without a bike".

Offline coffee_brake

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »
 I don't mean to thread-jack, but how the heck did this happen?! I've missed plenty of shifts but never lost a gear over it.

Is this a matter of really high RPMs and a clutch dump? More than once I've heard an awful racket from the motor when I missed a shift; I always grab the clutch and ride it down till the RPMs match wherever I was in the gear box.

Does it take a bunch of times for this to happen? Or is it one fell swoop?

Between this and my cold weather starter clutch slipping, I'm getting all worried...There's a 110 block heater on it with really thin synthetic and that's the only reason it ever starts in cold weather now. I just can't split cases mid-winter on my cold-weather bike so I'm following this thread.
2005 Concours, toothpaste blue
1986 VFR700
1999 Bandit 1200

Offline brownja

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 04:54:50 AM »
I don't mean to thread-jack, but how the heck did this happen?! I've missed plenty of shifts but never lost a gear over it.

Is this a matter of really high RPMs and a clutch dump? More than once I've heard an awful racket from the motor when I missed a shift; I always grab the clutch and ride it down till the RPMs match wherever I was in the gear box.

Between this and my cold weather starter clutch slipping, I'm getting all worried...There's a 110 block heater on it with really thin synthetic and that's the only reason it ever starts in cold weather now. I just can't split cases mid-winter on my cold-weather bike so I'm following this thread.

Not sure exactly. It was an instantaneous thing.
I was in third, cruising easy and about to go into fourth, when I saw a guy coming out of a side street pretty quickly. So I went back to Third and when I let out the clutch, there was just a terrible racket and no forward motion. This was all around 3000 to 4000. Nothing too aggressive or crazy.
So it was Third, Clutch in, Shift to Fourth but never release clutch, back to Third, release clutch, game over.

In any event, Sherman is going to take a look at after the holidays. It still sucks, but I feel much better now that there is a plan of action of someone competent to execute it.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »

Ummm Jen, dont you live in Georgia? Whats up with this cold weather talk???
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »
 Hi Jen , I am a little confused.
 I assume  your not talking about a C10.  Stock  C10's do not come with a clutched starter.  I was just curious as to what a 'Cold Weather ' bike is? or a Cold Weather starter clutch? I grew up in Canada and no one told us about these things.   Maybe  russian or german bike? You have to split the cases for a starter?
Sorry for the confusion.
Update:  I was doing some research.   Are you referring to the  'one way' bearing being bad?  I  thought those things were bullet proof.  I guess not.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 07:34:32 AM »
Brownja,,, do you have an update on the gear box?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline brownja

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 07:52:27 AM »
Brownja,,, do you have an update on the gear box?

Ride safe, Ted

It's still sitting in my garage waiting for the trailer ride of shame. At least it's stripped down so no one will recognize it.
Hope to hear from Sherman soon on when he can start working on it.

Thanks,
jb

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
Ok, thanks.
Please keep us posted on what you find.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline brownja

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 05:14:24 AM »
Sherman found teeth in the pan.
Engine is coming all the way next.

I may be putting the call out for parts as soon as he figures out what it's going to need.

Thanks everyone!
jb

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 05:21:05 AM »
wow, Teeth in the pan... seriously, i wouldn't expect that from a higher gear, maybe 1st or 2nd, but not 4th. If I had to guess I'd think that gear was made improperly, and this was it's failure. It'll be interesting what the final outcome is, but I expect this is going to be expensive, labor-wise. Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »
wow, Teeth in the pan... seriously, I wouldn't expect that from a higher gear, maybe 1st or 2nd, but not 4th. If I had to guess I'd think that gear was made improperly, and this was it's failure.

+1...  Keep us posted.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 09:50:37 AM »
Mine had stripped teeth off of several cogs.
That's what happens when it selects more than one gear at the same time.
Pic below is after I had replaced all the damaged parts as well as all 3 shift forks and some other pieces.
For some reason I can't find any pics of the damage but it took some time to locate all the bits and piece them together to make certain that I hadn't missed any.

Writeup is here
http://gtr1000.com/graphics/gearbox/GEARBOX.HTM
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline brownja

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
Got the bike back today.
Sherman (with some help from Dave Muir) did a great job. It wasn't cheap, but a lot less than a dealer have charged and there was no way I could tackle that myself.

A few teeth actually broke off.

Here are some pics.

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:27 PM »
 That is excellent!
 Hopefully the weather is good for a ride where you are living.
 What did it cost you for the repair, and which currency, Beer or Dollars?  ;D
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline brownja

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »
That is excellent!
 Hopefully the weather is good for a ride where you are living.
 What did it cost you for the repair, and which currency, Beer or Dollars?  ;D

I don't want to say exactly how much.
But consider that it involved removing the engine, splitting the cases, splitting the cases on the donor engine, swapping the transmission, re-assembling, then replacing the engine, balance shaft adjustment and carb synch, and a test drive.
That's a lot of labor, plus the tranny internals, seals, oil and filter, etc.

So it was real money, but for what was involved, and what the alternatives were, it was a real bargain.

voileauciel

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:08 AM »
YAY!

Glad to see you're up and running again! If you ever come down this way (Central NJ) hit me up, and I'll buy you a beer. Same goes for the nice gents who fixed it for you.