Author Topic: So my swingarm seems to need work: I guess?  (Read 10254 times)

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
Re: So my swingarm seems to need work: I guess?
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
Unless I'm looking at the diagram and reading the manual wrong, it states to "screw in the right pivot shaft and tighten it to the specified torque" (T7, 20 ft-lb).This is after tightening the 3 mounting screws to their torque and before torquing the lock nut. It seems the allen screw, which is actually the pivot itself, is how the bearing preload gets set. Is this not correct?

Install both pivots, torque the 3 fasteners on both pivots, torque the adjuster on the right pivot to 20 foot pounds. Hold the adjuster on the pivot with a hex key to keep it from turning while you tighten the lock nut. A crowfoot of the proper size is likely to cost you as much or more than the special tool.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »
Install both pivots, torque the 3 fasteners on both pivots, torque the adjuster on the right pivot to 20 foot pounds. Hold the adjuster on the pivot with a hex key to keep it from turning while you tighten the lock nut. A crowfoot of the proper size is likely to cost you as much or more than the special tool.

Yup, that's the way I read it. I don't have an allen of that size with me, or my torque wrenches (I have 1/4 drive torque wrench, and it would do the 6 pivot fasteners) so I just left the adjuster alone and repacked the bearings. When I get the proper tools, I will do the adjustment.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 04:05:27 AM »
Did this last night, not hard. My center allen never even thought about moving when torquing the outside nut, so food for thought there. Isn't Ron (Sasmayhem) near you? I can hit up my contacts out that way if you need. Also having a very interesting day long run out of Boone on the 14th: interested?

Offline gruff54

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 04:34:27 AM »
bbroj,
      Are you at Tom Pritchard's place? If so, I'm only 20 minutes west of you. As far as tools go, I may not have everything, but I get by. Let me know if there's something you need.
Mike

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 04:44:34 AM »
gruff54, yes, that's exactly where I'm staying. Been here going on 4 months now. I appreciate the offer, I have met and worked with other COGers in the area, and the support and comradarie has been great. I volunteered to work tomorow, or I'd ask if you wanted to get together for a ride or to try to perform this relatively simple adjustment. Some weekend , perhaps?
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline gruff54

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »
bbroj, Just let me know. If I've got time, I'd be glad to.
Mike
p.s. Does Tom let loose with the train horns out there?

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
Sounds good to me. So far, I have yet to hear the train/fire siren. I have seen the fire truck it's mounted to though. Just the siren has a hemi to power it!
COG 9331

Offline gruff54

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 07:44:35 PM »
I think I remember him telling me the hemi-pwered siren was an old roof-top air-raid siren. LOUD doesn't even begin to describe it!