Author Topic: Turning/surfacing chrome brake rotors on the Triumph  (Read 2941 times)

Online Strawboss

Turning/surfacing chrome brake rotors on the Triumph
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
The Triumph has chrome brake rotors. The front has a low spot from where the pads sat when it was stored before I got it. Does anybody think that turning or just surfacing the rotor will affect the performance of the pads? Just do it enough to smooth it out. I'm sure I can find a new rotor online, when I looked previously, they were unobtainable and what I did find out of the U.K. was astronomical in price, hundreds for 1 rotor. The chrome was just for appearances. Any ideas?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Turning/surfacing chrome brake rotors on the Triumph
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
Is this a measured low spot or do you get a pulse from the brakes? If just a puls it is probably a deposit of pad material and actually a high spot.
Try cleaning it with a Scotchbrite pad.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Online Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
Definately a low spot, big time pulse when brake applied and you can see the spot on each side of the rotor where theres no chrome anymore. In one of Triumph's fit of brilliance, the rotors,pads,, calipers,master cylinders are all the same, front and rear, I originally was just going to swap out the front for the rear rotor.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
I'd have it turned down by a competent brake shop. Whythehell not? No reason for these to be chrome anyhow. Only Hardly's have chrome discs.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
I turned several rotors for my friend Rick,     http://www.ricksvintagebikes.com/

Takes a few minutes to setup and make sure they are running true but they cut easily with ceramic cutters. Because they are thin if aren't carefull you can deflect them on the brake lathe when tightening down.

I just did the connie rear and the drilled holes gave a funny pattern but don't let someone tell you it can't be done.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »
The Triumph has chrome brake rotors. The front has a low spot from where the pads sat when it was stored before I got it. Does anybody think that turning or just surfacing the rotor will affect the performance of the pads? Just do it enough to smooth it out. I'm sure I can find a new rotor online, when I looked previously, they were unobtainable and what I did find out of the U.K. was astronomical in price, hundreds for 1 rotor. The chrome was just for appearances. Any ideas?

I'll bite.  The last several threads that you have asked for advice, you ignore it or argue with it. 

Here is some good advice.  Do what you want with it.  Turning the rotors would be a big mistake.  They should be surface ground.  I had my GL1100's rotors surface ground by TrueDisk.  http://www.truedisk.net/  Quick turn-around plus good work.
$45 per rotor plus shipping.

Your call.  I have no financial or other interest in TrueDisk.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Online Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »
Well, thanks for the advice there lt1. I wasn't aware I was that way. As I can only check my e-mail once a week or so, and I'll be sure to be more attentive from now on and less argumentative. I hope this quells your concerns about me, sorry to offend. ;D