Author Topic: Motorcycle tents  (Read 11021 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Motorcycle tents
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »
I know there are probably lots of threads on this, but I am lazy and I don't feel like reading through tons of pages.  ;D

I found these two tents and debating on which one to buy. Which would you get and why? Do you have another one you can suggest with motorcycle parking? I want to stay under $500.

Redverz Expedition II Tent vs. Harley-Davidson H-D Dome Tent W/Vestibule Bike Parking (I don't really care that it says Harley on it, its half the price).

http://www.amazon.com/Redverz-Gear-expedition-Expedition-Tent/dp/B00A79BZOE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2V9M8I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1AQM9P52JQM0J1X93AET&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Thanks for your input,

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Motorcycle tents
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
That Harley one doesn't look like it would be tall enough for your CB shield...  :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »
I think Chet got the Redverz tent.

Now that you mention it, he might be to lazy to chime in.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
Sorry, I'm too lazy to write any more than this right here...     ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
How about this one Gumby?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Tent-/330952838228?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0e538c54

That looks like a decent tent as well. Anybody have one of these, likes/dislikes?

http://bikertent.com/products.html

Sorry, I'm too lazy to write any more than this right here...     ;)
You're killin me Conrad  :(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »
I prefer this tent...

Hampton
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:29:44 PM »
I think Chet got the Redverz tent.

Now that you mention it, he might be to lazy to chime in.
I PM'ed Chet asking if the poles were fiberglass or alloy,and here is what he had to say.
"Light aluminum.  I carried it on my Colorado Backcountry ride, 700+ miles of high altitude gravel roads and over 2000 miles of paved stuff.  I won't ever use another tent.  5 extra pounds vs another 2 person tent (which means 1 person) and I have room to stand, cook, work on the bike out of the weather, load/unload the bike out of the weather, and keep all my gear out of the weather and not inside the area I'm sleeping.  Best tent on the market for motorcycling and worth every penny.  My wife even likes it which is a bonus, I will be getting a hitch added to my Jetta so we can eat some miles, pack all the comfort items a lady demands, setup camp and go ride/explore whatever area we want on a lower budget.  My next favorite item is my Jetboil stove and coffee press, good coffee is hard to beat first thing in the morning and to enjoy from within the tent?  Priceless ;D"

I'm still looking at reviews of others though. It's hard to part with almost $500 unless your Jay.  ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
Do it!!  Get the awning kit and ground cloth as well, nothing says home like a shaded area with a breeze ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
How does that work for the side stand though? Wouldn't it rip through or do you put something down for it?  ??? :-\

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »
The open/bike area is open ground.

Light enough to do this on DOT knobbies ;D

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
If you buy this one you get a free kickstand plate.  ::)

http://bikertent.com/products.html

I think this one is out though, it is too big. 26.5 lbs  :o

Son of Pappy

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:15:36 PM »
Coupla pics in use.  We even found Yeti ;D  (He has a broken collar bone and seperated/back in place shoulder from an off earlier in the day.  He rode it out this day and the next.  Ended up slabbing it to Boise the next day and on home 2 days later.  Good thing his wife is a nurse :o

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »
Do it!!  Get the awning kit and ground cloth as well, nothing says home like a shaded area with a breeze ;D
Let me ask you this Chet. Would you be using this tent as much as you are if you only had your Connie? I am really putting some thought into this ($$$$), and I don't see taking the Connie up on a hill to camp or even out in the middle of a field if I did't have to.

I have my four man tent, plenty of room for gear, that I am taking this weekend on my ride. I will park the Connie safely on the pavement, pack my bags to the tent, and cover the bike.

I really like the idea of having my bike right next to me and covered at night, but is it practical with this big beast of a street bike that is hard to maneuver around in a rutted field?

One more I have been looking at. This guy has good things to say about the Big Agnes tent.
http://youtu.be/vHcrGQeFw00

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
One more I have been looking at. This guy has good things to say about the Big Agnes tent.
http://youtu.be/vHcrGQeFw00

I like that one the best from what's been posted so far.

But like Sparky said, there is something about just having a hotel to stay at after riding all day... wifi, hot shower, beer fridge, bed, and tv...  :-\

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »
Let me ask you this Chet. Would you be using this tent as much as you are if you only had your Connie? I am really putting some thought into this ($$$$), and I don't see taking the Connie up on a hill to camp or even out in the middle of a field if I did't have to.

I have my four man tent, plenty of room for gear, that I am taking this weekend on my ride. I will park the Connie safely on the pavement, pack my bags to the tent, and cover the bike.

I really like the idea of having my bike right next to me and covered at night, but is it practical with this big beast of a street bike that is hard to maneuver around in a rutted field?

I've heard good things about the BA tent (Big Ass), but the thing is heavy and doesn't pack down as small.  My dry bag holds my tent, sleeping bag, inflatable pillow, and self inflatable mattress, as well as my sleeping clothes.  I also keep the shovel in the bag.  I'll find a pic that shows the bag all packed up.
I bought the tent before the GS with the intent of a trip to AK on the Connie, so yes, I would have this tent.  The outer vestibule is just o so nice.  3 doors so you can choose which to open, which really is nice if you do any cooking in inclement weather and on those hot days being able to trap the breeze is awesome.  Room for bike, bags, gear, and a clean sleeping area?  And there is the back vestibule for additional room out of the weather.
Like you I had a serious pause before dropping the coinage, but after plenty of use and a happy wife I have zero regrets.  And yes, the awning kit is worth it, moreso for the added shade in the summer.  A serious investment for seriously good times :chugbeer:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »
Something else to add, 10 minutes max to setup, in riding gear, on a hot humid day after 500 miles of high speed mountain slab on a loaded GS ;D  3 poles, 10 pegs, and nighty night.  I only use the guy lines if it is really windy out.

FWIW, my coffe is far superior to any hotel slop served out of a pump pot and the views of the sunsets and sunrises?  No punk kids running to the pool, never wonder what is really on the mattress, and no frat parties to deal with.  All them hot maids?  Ever wonder where the go when they are off? ;)  For some reason Redverz sure as heck sounds sexier than Big Agnes :o

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
Keep talking Chet, you got me thinking this is something I may really make good use of. How much more was the awning kit? I have not seen that in any of my searches.

Jay, pipe down until you can tell me about the last two week ride you went on and stayed in hotel rooms every night then got home and wondered why your American Express bill is so high.  ;)

I really like camping anyways, and this year I am riding solo so I can stop and set up camp where ever I desire.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 11:09:17 PM »
I wish I could remember how much the kit was, I at first bought some poles from REI, which worked, but the poles are quite a bit heavier and packed a tad longer so I ended up with the poles from Redverz.  There is no doubt in my mind that as soon as you saw one in person you would be sold.  On average we sell 2 tents each ADV Camp on the second night. 

http://shop.redverz.com/categories/Tents/