Author Topic: Chev Volt vs VW TDI  (Read 10751 times)

Offline Cuda

Chev Volt vs VW TDI
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
I've been looking at the VW sport wagon TDI , what about that  dual clutch automatic , would it last 200,000 ? How $ is the service,  motor and  transmission , my wife does not drive a stick.

Any one know anything about the Volt ? I have a diesel truck and a conversion van that I'll be keeping but I drive around town a LOT for my business , waste a lot of fuel $$ I wonder how good the air conditioner works on the Volt.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Chev Volt vs VW TDI
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:33:28 AM »
All good questions...  I'd like to know as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 05:55:07 AM »
Buy the VW. I hate buying cars for other people.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:00:08 AM »
Come on now, I wouldn't mind you buying one for me, but I've already just bought one.  Next time, though, I'll give you a call first.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »
I have a 2012 JSW TDI DSG with around 15k on the odo. What would you like to know?

Both my wife and I love the car and the DSG is fantastic! I do all my own service, even the 'free' oil changes (VW offers 3 years/36K 'free' routine maintenance) are done by me, not so free but at least I know that it's done right. I'll be doing the DSG service when it comes up at 40k as well.

Here's some 'light' reading for you on the TDI.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php

Don't be scared...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »
I love my 2013 V.W Passat TDI. A very well built and equipped car. I was just looking at the Chevy Volt a week ago. The dealer couldn't even give good answers on consumption. It is pretty much the fuel economy of a Cruze eco gas engine after the charge runs out. Chevy also has a Cruze diesel now. It isn't as nice looking as V.W. products, but are giving a longer drivetrain warranty and more horsepower and torque. I found them for $22,000-$24-000 price range on sale.
Good lock!
Joel from Maine.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
The diesel in the Chevy has been around for years, in Germany as an Opel. 

Here is a C&D diesel camparo...
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-chevrolet-cruze-20td-vs-2013-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-comparison-test

2014 Chevy Cruise drive test
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-cruze-diesel-first-drive-review
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Cuda

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 01:17:02 PM »
I wish they had a wagon version. I like the VW SUV TDI but they are TOO $$$.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
I would love a six passenger V.W. Passat wagon. They are supposed to be working on a six passenger hybrid diesel SUV., but it will be too much money for sure.
Joel from Maine.

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
I've been looking at the VW sport wagon TDI , what about that  dual clutch automatic , would it last 200,000 ? How $ is the service,  motor and  transmission , my wife does not drive a stick.

Any one know anything about the Volt ? I have a diesel truck and a conversion van that I'll be keeping but I drive around town a LOT for my business , waste a lot of fuel $$ I wonder how good the air conditioner works on the Volt.

I don't think the DSG has been around long enough to give an accurate assessment of it's durability to 200k miles. VW's have generally been fairly reliable, and I would expect the DSG transmission to follow that history.

Knowing that it's from Chevrolet, I'm sure the A/C works well in the Volt, maybe we have some Volt owners on this forum that can confirm?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »
I don't think the DSG has been around long enough to give an accurate assessment of it's durability to 200k miles. VW's have generally been fairly reliable, and I would expect the DSG transmission to follow that history.

Knowing that it's from Chevrolet, I'm sure the A/C works well in the Volt, maybe we have some Volt owners on this forum that can confirm?
If not, since it's electric, you could always hang a window unit on it.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »
Almost at 40,000 miles on my 2012 Jetta TDI.  Average of 42 MPG with average speeds of 75+ on long trips with many passes, my last longish trip was to Helena, MT from WA State, averaged 43.5.  When I keep the speeds below 70 I get 49-53.  No issues, no regrets, plenty of torque, handles like a dream, comfy, and that tranny just rocks.  I see a Toureg in my future as I need a 4WD vehicle for my retirement home ;D

Offline julianop

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:55:16 AM »
I've just clocked up 40,000 on my 2012 Passat TDI with the DSG box. I love it . The only thing that keeps me out of it is the Connie, of course. I bought it to do my famous weekly MN<-->IL commute when I can't ride the bike for some reason. The 40,000 service is will cost around $780, so like most imports service isn't cheap. The car is beautiful, though: Motor Trend 2012 car of the year.

Like several of you I'd prefer the wagon, but it wasn't available at the time. Maybe my wife will inherit this when the wagon comes out and I'll trade in my tired old 2003 Audi A6 2.7. It has 215k on it, and is getting smelly and it's making some weird noises at the back when I corner. It is also looking at its second timing belt which will cost a mere $1000 or so :o

The Passat has significantly more room than the Jetta, especially in the back, and my wife liked the seats better. I get around 46mpg on long highway journeys, though I drive at a modest 69mph most of the time to conserve fuel.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
Do I dare ask what the dealership did to earn $780 of your money? I am only at about 8200 miles, so it'll be a while. I had a 2003 Golf TDI and never spent much on service until 100,000 miles, when I did the timing belt.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 04:45:30 AM »
Do I dare ask what the dealership did to earn $780 of your money? I am only at about 8200 miles, so it'll be a while. I had a 2003 Golf TDI and never spent much on service until 100,000 miles, when I did the timing belt.

At 40k along with the reg maintenance that's due at that point the DSG gets a fluid/filter change. The DSG service is a fairly big deal and it's WAY different than just draining the fluid and swapping out the filter. Although $780 sounds a bit steep.

You want details? Here's a small taste...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=338801

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:53 PM »
Wow!!!
I am loving my 6-speed even more right now.
I was just looking into getting an Audi A3 TDI, but they do not make them anymore. They were around $31,000. But don't worry they still have an A6 TDI that is only about $60,000-$70,000.
Joel from Maine.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
I broke down a month ago and bought my first car in many years.  I opted for fun and fuel economy.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
Engines and economy aside, the last Chevy I owned, I'd occasionally find mysterious screws and nuts in the floorboard and the plastic parts in the interior would squeak. Fit and finish was crap. Buy the VW.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 08:35:16 AM »
Engines and economy aside, the last Chevy I owned, I'd occasionally find mysterious screws and nuts in the floorboard and the plastic parts in the interior would squeak. Fit and finish was crap. Buy the VW.

+1 on that! The VW is solid and the only time I ever hear a noise that isn't supposed to be there is when it's below zero.

Offline julianop

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »

Just completed the 40k yesterday - it cost $696. I got it done at Luther Westside Volkswagen in Minneapolis.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.