Author Topic: A bit ticked off  (Read 11027 times)

Son of Pappy

A bit ticked off
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
A new member comes along that isn't new to forums in general, essentially gets run off, and by guys I admire.  This isn't a good thing in my opinion.  New faces, new ideas, and new personalities are needed.  If not?  We become inbred, anyone need an example?

I was looking forward to watching someone build a NA bike beyond what I did, losing weight, adding air, something new and different.

I sure hope he returns and will be given a bit warmer welcome.  This incident sure isn't indicative of who we as a forum are, at least not as I remember it.  Wise men know when to eat some humble pie, which is best served warm.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: A bit ticked off
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:40:56 AM »
Based on what I know at the moment, he won't be back.

One thing I've tried to do over the years is to make the C14 boards a pleasant place to be.  No politics, no religion, etc..  It's worked for the most part.  I'm glad you posted this as I was thinking on how to introduce a new policy on handling this type of thing in the future on those boards.  From now on, no personal attacks of any sort will be tolerated in the C14 boards.  I won't just lock the threads, I'll delete the offending posts.  I'll be the one making that decision unless another mod/admin comes in and does it first.  This is not going to happen again on my watch on the boards that I moderate.

I welcome dissension on a subject.  In fact, I'll encourage it, but the attacks will stop. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline petepro

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 05:30:50 AM »
Awesome.   The more welcoming the site the better it is.    I have found it a little difficult to come to the forum and want to ask a question that has been asked before in order to see if people opinions have changed over time or if even the answer has changed.  A lot of times this re-asking just leads to "search is your friend" type replies or links to the other question/answers.

Anyway,  This forum has helped me over the last year and I'm staying.
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:35:03 AM »
The 'search is your friend' thingy isn't going away.. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline harry76

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:05:44 AM »
Excellent!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:18:51 AM »
Amazing how different people see the same thing is such very different ways.

I do not know if I am one of the guys who ran him off or not but if so, then I am happy to disappoint you. That gentleman was a noisy, abrasive, obnoxious bag of self love. He was extremely impressed with himself and on a mission to point it out to all who would listen and quite a few who would not. In a world that produced DaVinci, Newton, Fermi, et. al, that guy wouldn't make a decent boil on any of their butts.

And he went so soon! Usually those durf wads take weeks to leave but he worked himself into a lather (more bluster about meeting some of 'us' in dark alleys, etc.) and then left. Great!

New ideas are great as are new people but personally, I prefer to 'hang out' with decent people. And I have yet to see one of those 'over the top' examples of a human produce anything anywhere near in- line with their own egos.

Brian

A new member comes along that isn't new to forums in general, essentially gets run off, and by guys I admire.  This isn't a good thing in my opinion.  New faces, new ideas, and new personalities are needed.  If not?  We become inbred, anyone need an example?

I was looking forward to watching someone build a NA bike beyond what I did, losing weight, adding air, something new and different.

I sure hope he returns and will be given a bit warmer welcome.  This incident sure isn't indicative of who we as a forum are, at least not as I remember it.  Wise men know when to eat some humble pie, which is best served warm.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:10:52 AM »
Amazing how different people see the same thing is such very different ways.

I do not know if I am one of the guys who ran him off or not but if so, then I am happy to disappoint you. That gentleman was a noisy, abrasive, obnoxious bag of self love. He was extremely impressed with himself and on a mission to point it out to all who would listen and quite a few who would not. In a world that produced DaVinci, Newton, Fermi, et. al, that guy wouldn't make a decent boil on any of their butts.

And he went so soon! Usually those durf wads take weeks to leave but he worked himself into a lather (more bluster about meeting some of 'us' in dark alleys, etc.) and then left. Great!

New ideas are great as are new people but personally, I prefer to 'hang out' with decent people. And I have yet to see one of those 'over the top' examples of a human produce anything anywhere near in- line with their own egos.

Brian

OMG, against my better judgement I googled this on urban dictionary  ;D

***edit off the search url***
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 07:28:53 AM »
To my knowledge, it has no meaning. I got it from an episode of "Everybody loves Raymond" and it struck me as funny. At any rate, I intended no greater meaning than the actual words imply- nothing covert about it.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:33:49 AM »
Looks like a search is in my future. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 07:41:30 AM »
Thanks Jim.

Brian, yes, you were one of the offenders.  The newb started off brash and it went south from there.  No where near as bad as FBA, yet he was backed into a corner and felt the need to validate who he was.  He was never given a chance to recover and for that we lost (apparently) a new member who was doing something unique.
There were more personal attacks in that thread than we allow in the Arena.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:53:17 AM »
Yeah, I see your point. However, I believe he was given the same chance everyone gets when a new person starts in a new environment. My own personal opinion was that the only unique thing he was doing was bringing a new level of abrasiveness to the forum that we have not seen in a while. As far as contributions, I have my doubts given the guy was a few days figuring out how to remove the key from the bike....

He would not have needed any chance to recover if he was not such an abrasive, obnoxious personality in the first place.

I went back and re- read that thread, what is left of it given the one who originated it removed all his posts and I came away with the exact same opinion- that person was either a troll or a blowhard with a huge ego and the desire to dump it all over everyone.

Apparently some of us think differently about new members; I welcome them with open arms but not with closed eyes and ears. I would rather have a smaller group than a bigger group with a higher percentage of jerks.

Brian

Thanks Jim.

Brian, yes, you were one of the offenders.  The newb started off brash and it went south from there.  No where near as bad as FBA, yet he was backed into a corner and felt the need to validate who he was.  He was never given a chance to recover and for that we lost (apparently) a new member who was doing something unique.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:10:18 AM »

The only thing I have to add at this point as I was not witness to the "free for all" until after Jim cleaned it up; is if the outright attacks and posting of inappropriate material happens again there will be a payment demanded for it no matter if your new or not so new around here..... Pack Mentalality......  :(
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 08:23:44 AM »
Poor decisions from newly arrived members is no excuse.  Reach out through a PM, most folks react poorly when confronted in a public manner.  We have a member (not naming names) I find very abrasive, so I simply added him to my ignore list.  If a topic comes up I can always click and see what he has to offer.

I'd like to see what this guy does with his C14, sure hope I have the chance.  Maybe Jim would be so kind as to reach out to him?

We can do better...

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »
It's really not that different than it's always been. New guys get hazed, if they hold their own it's all good. And once of a while the Bubba actually makes long lasting contributions... ya just got to give him time to see what he comes up with, especially if he's working in a leaking lean-to  :rotflmao:   Steve

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »
OK, one last time: You are saying his poor behavior is OK but anyone else's poor behavior in response to the OP's bad behavior is bad? ?? C'mon Chet, how much garbage should we (each of us) eat from the obnoxious guy in the hope that he <may> turn out to be a wonderful addition to the forum?

And by the way- backed into a corner? Really? He started off joining by choosing a 'nickname' showing us all how fast he is. C'mon, that guy had his ego jutting out in front of him about 14 feet before he spoke his first words.

Maybe we read a different thread or something. We clearly have very different takes on what happened. I know who you have blocked and IMO, on his worst day he does not come close to being as obnoxious and abrasive as that new guy did in his first two posts.

At any rate, I would think you could get a hold of that guy through Jim or Rick Hall- not that they would give you his personal information of course but perhaps they could pass a note along to him from you. Who knows, you and he may be able to maintain contact with him personally or even get him to reappear around here. Best of luck whichever way you go.

Brian

Poor decisions from newly arrived members is no excuse.  Reach out through a PM, most folks react poorly when confronted in a public manner.  We have a member (not naming names) I find very abrasive, so I simply added him to my ignore list.  If a topic comes up I can always click and see what he has to offer.

I'd like to see what this guy does with his C14, sure hope I have the chance.  Maybe Jim would be so kind as to reach out to him?

We can do better...

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 09:22:50 AM »
It's really not that different than it's always been. New guys get hazed, if they hold their own it's all good. And once of a while the Bubba actually makes long lasting contributions... ya just got to give him time to see what he comes up with, especially if he's working in a leaking lean-to  :rotflmao:   Steve

I don't think I'll ever live that one down....   :-[
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »
Brian, I called him out on his BS as well.  Some folks can make flowers smell good on a computer using words alone, others have a hard time describing a loaf of bread.  I think this guy came from some forum where that kind of talk is a given.  A PM could have (potentially) fixed his abrasiveness, we'll never know. 

My biggest point I reckon is we do have standards, and good manners.  We, collectively, didn't do a good job of representing who we are as a group.  Lets do better...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »

The urban dictionary asked me to put in a definition of "durf wads". Thinking about starting another thread to help define it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
Sounds like an excellent idea...

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
The urban dictionary asked me to put in a definition of "durf wads". Thinking about starting another thread to help define it.

I'm thinking Honda riders. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.