Author Topic: And speaking of our civil rights....  (Read 10422 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: And speaking of our civil rights....
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »
So you are saying that should I accuse you of selling drugs, then the gov't (state, local or federal, makes no difference) can seize your property(s) until such time as you can get on a court's docket, fight the case, PROVE YOU ARE RIGHT (not guilty) and then the gov't agency should give you your property(s) back?

The fact that you support it is fine and all but there is no force of law behind that approach.

Brian

Yep.  :) :popcorn:

I'm also thinking that having a King or Queen (equal oppty) isn't a bad idea either considering what's going on or not in Congress..

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
Speaking for myself, today is the day I celebrate and reflect on our Independence from a Monarchy. I also firmly believe that the elected officials should  take a better look at a calendar, there are 364 other days on there. Plenty of room for another Independence Day.....
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 10:37:34 PM »
Really folks, I didn't pick Jim as an admin because of his views!

As far as seizures relating to drugs or criminal activity I can see that and support it.  However, the seizure should only be permanent after a conviction.  If someone wants to fight it there is always the court system.

This is a VERY slippery slope.

When the police arrest you, it's an accusation. Facts are discovered during trial. IOW, police are not judge jury and executioner (yet?).

"We *think* you *may* be selling drugs, else why would you have all that cash? We're taking your car and all your cash and travelers checks under civil forfeiture laws. Maybe your passport too, flight risk you know". "You have 30 days to respond in court to the the forfeiture (if you can figure out the rules) or we keep your assets for good. Chump.

Possession is 90% of the law.
Lawyers (and/or using the courts to recover) are big bux.

You have done *nothing* wrong, yet you *have* to prove your innocence to become whole again (minus your time lost. Maybe your business folded in your absence, wife left, kids think you're now a dealer...).

Enforcement agencies have everything to gain, and nothing to loose. It's a *very* bad law.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 04:25:57 AM »
Enforcement agencies have everything to gain, and nothing to loose. It's a *very* bad law.

Often they are quite overzealous too... Was news worthy not long ago that they had even seized a woman's vibrator... What the heck has that to do with her selling some weed as a medical provider?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 04:37:29 AM »
Could be used as a weapon.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C14_Rider

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »
Yup.  "Get back or I'll use this thing, and believe me, I know how!"   "OMG!  RUN!"
Steve  2008 C14 ABS; Rostra cruise; Laminar Lip; Kwik Cover; Fenda Extenda; Murphs bar risers; V&H CS1 stainless (soon); Zumo;

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »
Hmm...if they are ignoring the CotUS wat makes anyone thing they will pay attention to a mere law?
Blame this on activist judges who think they ae above the law.
This won't stop anything.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:36 PM »
Often they are quite overzealous too... Was news worthy not long ago that they had even seized a woman's vibrator... What the heck has that to do with her selling some weed as a medical provider?

because maybe that was where she was hiding her stash of meth?????
 :P

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

funny story,
many years ago, at a friends house, we were hearing this buzzing sound.... and occaisionally a bbbbzzzzt "ouch"....prior to that we heard a little girl singing songs...
aafter we heard that a couple times, my pals wife went upstairs to find her niece, who had dissapeared... she was about 6 iirc....

the following was heard by all downstairs....
"what are you doing up here?"

"aunt Judy, this Mr. Microphone hurts your front teeth when it touches them...."

omg.... beer came out from a dozen guys noses....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 05:09:11 AM »
I am referring to ANY gov't (or an agent of gov't) seizing ANYTHING without DUE PROCESS. They simply do NOT have that ability. At least not until the 1980's.

The US Constitution- great document, short read and usually pretty easy to follow;

You are still clinging to the belief that the Constitution actually matters.  Sadly, my conclusion is that it stopped mattering many years ago...  long before I was even born.  And it matters less and less every year.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 05:20:54 AM »
Unfortunately, Max, you are correct. Following the Constitution has always been done on the 'honor system' by men and women with integrity and pride in this country. What we see happening now is what happens when those in power despise and denigrate the founding of this country and all that made it great. Enjoy the decline.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 06:53:00 AM »
It goes right along with justice getting lost in the "legal system "
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 09:12:48 AM »
You are still clinging to the belief that the Constitution actually matters.  Sadly, my conclusion is that it stopped mattering many years ago...  long before I was even born.  And it matters less and less every year.

People started chipping away at it before the ink was even dry. Someone much wiser than I said something like: "Freedom lives in the hearts of men and when it dies there, no paper contract can hold it.." or words to that effect.