Author Topic: Med ID tags... thoughts  (Read 10772 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Med ID tags... thoughts
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
Do you Conker's think that these are a silly idea? http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#5  And if I get into an accident, where I can't talk there is really no one that going to know me or medical history.   Anyone of you all think about it, if your solo riding or what ever? How will the doctors treat you?

Thoughts please

Cheers
Ron
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:11:56 PM by sas mayhem »
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Bob

Re: Med ID tags... thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
No I think they are a great idea. It could make a big difference if you cannot communicate after an accident of other. I have this site saved. For some reason, I just never find the couple of minutes to order tags.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »
I'm assuming that first responders are trained to look for med tags first and then "if time permits" to look thru wallets. If that's the case then these do make sense I think.  By the time they find my wallet in my bag I might be on my way to the pearly gates.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline booger

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »
I've been wanting to get one of the flash drive medical ID tags and wear it on a chain.

Trouble is, they want $39.95 for a $3.00 flash drive :o

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
I remember people talking about these on a different forum:
http://www.resqtag.com/index.html

They appear to be sold out at the moment, but the nice thing about them is the roll up and become your jacket's zipper handle so its right on your front (of course assuming the crash didn't tear the front of your jacket off).
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline GVmerle

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
I have a wrist band that is also a flash drive.  It has medical and personal information. A photo can be added if desired.  Only problem is I often forget to wear it.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:28:11 PM »
I wear a pendant on a chain all the time now that is a med-alert symbol on the front and my name, diabetic, medicine allergy, and phone number engraved on the back.  You can get forms at Walgreens and CVS for the pendant, bracelets, etc.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

YoDoc

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
I've been wanting to get one of the flash drive medical ID tags and wear it on a chain.

Trouble is, they want $39.95 for a $3.00 flash drive :o

The other problem is, how do you know that the bus rig you get loaded into has a compatible system to read it with? I think a good old fashioned tag is the answer.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:18:38 AM »
My meds and alergies info are in 3 locations.
My wallet, my bike reg. info packet, and in the trunk pouch on the inside top box cover. I also have a sticker on my helmet that tells helpers not to remove my helmet if I am in an accident and can't respond. My cell phone also has the info sectgion, all that info is there also.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:48:58 AM »
The more info you can give to 1st responders the more effective the treatment they can provide.
ICE  [In Case of Emergency] on your cell phone is catching on.

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 06:49:51 AM »
My son is Diabetic since 7. He carries a med alert wallet card. When He pulls over he has license and card together. He has to have food where he can reach it. I am not sure it is connected but he has been pulled over more times in the 5 years he has been driving than i have  in my whole life. They check for food and he never gets a ticket. Me.... that is another story.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »
I am a Diabetic also, but not insulan based. And yes, the info is on my license info on the state computor. I didn't know this until last yr. when I was at the Moonshine LR. I had stopped at a road side rest, not a state run one and a local Sherriff came in behind me. I wasn't doing anything wrong, but he saw my brake strobe and was curious what i had done to get it to work. When I opened my trunk to show him the lite and modulator my diabetic tester was right there on the top of the stuff in the trunk. Well he was also a diabetic and we talked about it and he asked if the info was on my Ohio license? I said I didn't know, so he scanned it and there it was, and it was very accurate via my meds and possible foods I should have with me or can get easily. Even he was impressed with the info.
I guess it is all in what you give the BMV, but this kind of info is important.
Even though I can regulate mine with diet, it is still important if things happen on a trip.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:28 AM »
The more info you can give to 1st responders the more effective the treatment they can provide.

That's the one I use, and a card in my wallet...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 08:20:01 AM »

That assumes that your cell phone survives the crash.  I have emergency info on my cell phone, but also in my wallet.  Several locations is always a good idea.

I used to have a nice little pouch attached to my helmet with info, but have since gotten a new helmet.  Need to get a new pouch. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »
I wear the standard RoadId every time I ride. It goes on my wrist. Here is what I've heard. First responder don't always know to look there. From what I've read, the best place for one is dog tags. They know to look there. My Road Id only has ICE contacts like my GF, and my family. At the bottom I do have no known allergies.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »
I used to have a nice little pouch attached to my helmet with info, ...

My SO and I now have labels on the back of our helmets with contact info.  I read about doing that from another posting here BTC.  My SO is a little nervous about seeing that on the back of my helmet all the time.  I just promise not to drag pegs over 90mpg.  :)
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

YoDoc

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 09:13:19 AM »
Dog tags are a good place for them, as your chest will get exposed in the course of an exam, no guarantee about anywhere else. Helmets are a good place, but what if you slide on that part and scrape it all off, or render it illegible?

I guess the best thing would be to just tattoo it on your face, and hope you don't slide on that part...

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »

I'm impressed with Motorport, they offer an option for an ICE marked pocket on their jackets..

COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline Bob Young

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
 ;)
My wife and I have the resque tags items on our jackets and sticker on our helmets. Nice item, but have been difficult to get in the past. Usually comes with two, fold up, red colored, packets that you write you medications, allergies, ICE info on. The two "packets" are for your jacket and your riding suit pants. My wife uses one of hers on her purse at all times.
There's also a sticker you apply to your helmet for first responders to see.
I just wish the item was more readily available. Any means of ID is great, although I tend to agree with others; do first responders "generally" look for such info or tags? I would hope so.
Bob Young

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »
I wear the standard RoadId every time I ride. It goes on my wrist. Here is what I've heard. First responder don't always know to look there. From what I've read, the best place for one is dog tags. They know to look there. My Road Id only has ICE contacts like my GF, and my family. At the bottom I do have no known allergies.

The wrist is a common place for Medic Alert tags, so I would expect first responders to check both the neck and the wrist. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157