Author Topic: Med ID tags... thoughts  (Read 10798 times)

YoDoc

Re: Med ID tags... thoughts
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »
As an aside, Yes, I am an EMT (hence the Yo, Doc! for a name). Regardless of where a responder may or may not check, your chest WILL get exposed on an exam. Therefore, a good place to put a tag.

That said, anything noticeable is great, and a wrist ID is VERY common, especially amongst Diabetics.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 05:22:32 PM »
I was just directed to this site for a idea too.

http://medids.com/free-id.php

I also never thought of the I.C.E on the cell phone either, thanks for that input.  :thumbs:

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »

I also never thought of the I.C.E on the cell phone either, thanks for that input.  :thumbs:

I used to have an ICE on my cell phone with a 1 in front of it to make sure it was at the top, until I realized since I have company e-mail on it I must secure it with a PIN. No more ICE.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
One person recommended that it be used on a wallpaper, because a lot of people "lock" there phones.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
One person recommended that it be used on a wallpaper, because a lot of people "lock" there phones.

Never thought of that, fantastic!
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

YoDoc

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
If you have an Iphone or Android phone, there is also an app called ICE or In Case of Emergency. I had it on my phone, but deleted it because I found it annoying, thus wasting the two dollars I spent.

Offline COG-528

• Tilting Horizons since 1982
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
I created a free Medical Emergency Information Alert wallet card at MedID.com which I laminated and wear around my neck when riding.  I figure if I'm unconscious the EMTs or hospital staff will strip me down and find it.  I do not have any medical conditions that they need to be aware of before treatment. 

I used to wear cheap military type dog tags I bought for a couple of dollars at an Army-Navy surplus store I found while riding in the boonies of, I think, Arkansas.  The store had an old surplus military dog tag stamper.  Unfortunately the information on those dog tags eventually became inaccurate and I have no way to get new ones made since I can't even remember where the store was.  I'm too frugal to pay the price for medical id dog tags.
Mike Aldea, COG-528   Hawthorne, NJ  

Touring broadens horizons . . . Sports Touring tilts them!

Bob

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »
<snip>
 I'm too frugal to pay the price for medical id dog tags.[/size]

Now there's a big surprise!!!!  ::)  :D  8)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »
Too busy to Google it, but runners have long used a variety of ID tags, which come in various styles including an electronic one. RunnersID or something like that.

I keep meaning to order one. Good stuff and probably better prices.

But you can also go to an Ace Hardware store (at least mine) and have a plastic tag engraved with your information for under $10. Or any shop that does sports team trophies.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »

I just promise not to drag pegs over 90mpg.  :)

That's pretty good MILEAGE if you're grinding the peg feelers down!  :D

YoDoc

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »
Perhaps one of those five dollar dog id tag engravers at walmart? The ones that are actually for dogs...

Offline jbailey

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 11:02:07 PM »
This goes on your watch band.  And it is only about $10 with shipping.  (Concours frugal)

http://www.id-technology.com/mediband.htm

Offline Ziggie

• Arena
  • C-10, V-Strom, WR 250R, 1200 Multistrada
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 05:48:01 AM »

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
As a career firefighter/paramedic in Ohio I would say that a wrist applied device will be seen much quicker than anything else, with chest being a very close second. Forget about your wallet or cell phone unless you are alert and oriented or someone with you knows where its at on you, we don't have time to start going through menus or cards when we are treating you if its a traumatic injury, maybe they will at the hospital, but most always not as my wife was a trauma nurse for over 20 years also and she says the same thing. Most times but not always the police will notify next of kin, if no info from us or police is given because the police don't always come right away to the hospital then they'll start digging around for ID and info. This is my experience only and what I do on scene. I think the info on the license available to the police is a great idea too.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
I've used the mentioned http://www.resqtag.com/index.html for years... attached to outer zipper... they'll see it when/if they have to unzip/rip open the jacket... it hangs out, and is very visable, sitcker on helmet too.  Cell has ICE info if it survives.  If I'm on anything over a day long ride, I also have a lanyard with a pouch will all kinds of info packed.

The USB stuff I've been told is great, but not all EMT/EMS services are going to pack a laptop to access this info... they want info stat... and that means something they can read pronto with basic personal info, blood type, med allergies, med's taking, med problems... etc... 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 02:44:49 AM »
and yet another input that was sent to me,
http://www.rescuefacts.com/?page_id=32

Cheers
Ron

09 Connie

Excavator

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
I have no medical issues but I do wear my old military dog tag on long rides so they will know my blood type, all other information is in my wallet.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 09:14:54 PM »
I'll second (third?) the stuff already mentioned by the other EMTs. Put it on your core close to your skin. Make it bright and flashy and hard to miss. Make it easily identifiable and for gods sake make it low tech. Yeah I have a computer in the truck, but I don't need your middle initial or insurance info during the beginning of a call. Major medical hx, allergies, name. That's about it. Use the initial alerter to refer the medics to another location that has all your info on it, including ICE.
Also, core or wrist both would work. Full disclosure: I don't have one of these on me when I ride.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
Well my friends I ended up getting the http://www.rescuefacts.com/?page_id=32, it was what I was looking for.  Before I ordered them, I asked via e mail, if I could get them in red, for better visibility.  To my surprise I got a email back form the office from a Cordelia I real super person,  she informed me that all the motorcycle one come in black, BUT the tags for a large K-9 (dog  ;)) that they sell, is the same size and is in red. So she kindly sent me the K-9 ones and a stack of human (that us) medical slips to replace the Veterinarian slip. Another thing that I liked about this system is that I can put one on my helmet and use another on fasten to my zipper.  I don't honestly see myself remembering to always making sure that I have a bracelet or necklace on, since my work place and 20 yrs in the USAF working on planes... jewelry is Forbidden.  So this set up worked the best for me and the best bang for the buck.
OH !!! I have ridden in the rain and everything stayed dry, and I can't feel them either.

Cheers
Ron

09 Connie

Bob

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »