Author Topic: 90-degree valve stems?  (Read 5520 times)

Offline copdocpvd

90-degree valve stems?
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:13 PM »
Is it possible to replace the valve stems on a 2013 with 90-degree valve stems?  Makes it 100x easier to check pressure and add air, just didn't know how that works with the TPMS
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: 90-degree valve stems?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
The 90's won't work on the newest sensors will they?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »
The 90's won't work on the newest sensors will they?

Really? Hadn't heard. What's different?

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 05:11:37 PM »
I HEARD THEY ARE SEALED WITH THE VALVE STEM AS ONE UNIT
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »
They only work with the older sensors.  Don't know when Kwakers made the switchover to the new ones.  We might have a picture somewhere of the newer sensors.  If not, someone will post that hopefully so one will know what they have.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
They worked on my '11 without issue... Did mother Kwak change them in the last couple years (I can't keep up)?
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
Here's a pic of both, blatantly ripped off the other forum, posted by Rick ...  http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,47459.75.html

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:03:45 AM »
Thanks, Gary.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:44 AM »
Since they changed the unit, I hope they made it easier to change the battery.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
Actually, it will be much more difficult.... and it will take a sacrificial unit or two to learn how to do it. And even after that there will be some that are ruined by mistake and bad luck when trying to fit a new battery.

The new sensors are potted, meaning they are filled with liquid epoxy at the end of manufacture. That means that in order to change the battery we will need to know 1) where (exactly!) the battery is inside the unit. 2) which way the battery leads come to the battery. Then to change it, someone will have to dig out the epoxy, remove the battery without destroying the battery leads, then solder new wires to the very short ends of the wires poking out (Easy Boys!) of the epoxy block. Difficult to say the least and a high failure rate when doing this....

Brian

Since they changed the unit, I hope they made it easier to change the battery.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:15:29 AM »
I like potted...

sailor_chic

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
Actually, it will be much more difficult.... and it will take a sacrificial unit or two to learn how to do it. And even after that there will be some that are ruined by mistake and bad luck when trying to fit a new battery.

The new sensors are potted, meaning they are filled with liquid epoxy at the end of manufacture. That means that in order to change the battery we will need to know 1) where (exactly!) the battery is inside the unit. 2) which way the battery leads come to the battery. Then to change it, someone will have to dig out the epoxy, remove the battery without destroying the battery leads, then solder new wires to the very short ends of the wires poking out (Easy Boys!) of the epoxy block. Difficult to say the least and a high failure rate when doing this....

Brian

So will Murph's angle stems work on these new sensors?

I like potted...

Not that kind of pot silly!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
No, the new sensor stems are a different diameter than the originals so the 90 degree adapters that fit the original sensors will NOT work on the new ones.

The original sensors were from a French company while the new ones are Schrader (sp?) brand, a US company (meaning of course that both the old and new sensors are / were made in China). So the whole sensor is very different. I think, or hope, that these new sensors are a significant improvement in reliability and may well eliminate the annoying 'low battery voltage' warning when the sensors are cool.

Brian

So will Murph's angle stems work on these new sensors?

Not that kind of pot silly!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »
Guess ill have to live with the strait ones then, i have a new sensor in my rear wheel. And when i ordered it i had to order a new nut to go with it.